Sponsored

Rubicon Purchase(r)s - how many, why

Djzjeep22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU; 2021 JLUR
How many of the Wranglers sold are Rubicon models? Is it because dealers spec them that way for a higher profit, or because people want Rubicons. Are people buying what dealers are selling, or are they buying what they want? How many of the people that buy a Rubicon really want, or need, the capability of the Rubicon?

I had a neighbor that sold her Rubicon. When I asked about it she said, "it would be great for going to the mountains I guess, but I never do that". I don't think she really had any sense of what "going to the mountains" even means, she just thought a Rubicon meant "off road" and you do that in the "mountains". Not a knock against her, and actually she sold it because it rode "rough" and she never went to the mountains, so good for her for getting a Toyota Highlander to replace it. It just made me wonder why I see so many Rubicons. They've gotta be something like ten-to-one around here. Why are people buying them?
Over analysis - get what you like. Feel comfortable with your decision. Simple...
Sponsored

Cjanak21

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber Security Consultant
23 years old, on my 2nd Rubicon (ā€˜18 JLR, and ā€˜22 JLURXR) both factory orders. I just wanted a Rubicon because of the ā€œflexā€ that itā€™s a Rubicon and expensive tbh lol. Plus the standard larger tires, plan to off-road a bit tho, but nothing that a non-rubicon couldnā€™t handle.

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a Rubicon so that I would have a capable base to mod from. I tossed a lot of the parts that are usually on other models (bumpers, exhaust, tie-rod & drag link, factory lift, gimpy armor, etc.) and made it more capable. I want to go where I want to go and have the confidence I can still drive it home after my fun.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Full disclosure: Back in 2007 I hated on Rubicons. Back then the sticker price was more off-set than it is now it seems.

You could buy locked D44s, swaybar quick disconnects, and a lift and tires for under the upcharge for the Rubicon trim.

Now?

We bought our 2020 JLUR off the lot because it checked all the boxes AND was about $500 more off the lot than the JLU Sahara was going to be ordered.

It was a no brainer.

Sponsored

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Interestingly my local CDJR dealer doesn't have a single rubi on the lot. All sports and saharas. No 392s, no 4XEs...

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My JK was a Sahara, and when I looked at Saharas this time around the price difference was pretty small. I liked the additional things it added, so I ordered one!

I have no regrets. It makes me happy to see it and drive it.

Daniel-WA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR ordered
My own thought (not knowing anything about Wranglers at the time) was that if I was going to get a Wrangler, I don't want something lukewarm or half-capable. I want one that can deliver the full Wrangler experience.
This. Well said, sir.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 3.6 Auto
1st Rubicon was a JKU 2.8l Diesel
2nd Rubicon now a JLU 3.6l Petrol

Both for the same reason: A little beefier drivetrain and factory lockers suit my application the best and aftermarket vehicle modifications are heavily regulated where I live.

Cowboy from hell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Dr Rubicon hydro pearl 6 speed
I wanted the most capable jeep they offered and that is the Rubicon. My first jeep was a 99 4.0 Sahara 6 speed. When the Rubicon first came out I knew I would have one some day. Fast forward almost 20 years and just got my dream jeep! I love it so far and can't wait to hit the trails. I did take her up a mild trail my first week with 4" snow...didn't even need 4wd!

Sponsored

euan2020

First Name
Euan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Landy 110, 2014, 1.8T Golf GTI 2001, Audi Q5 2013,
I switched out of 2019 Sahara into 2022 Rubicon order - Cost to change is around $3500, and have new vehicle (well younger) to sell in US when i move back out

made sense to get into a Rubicon which will have demand when i sell

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I opt the JLUR over the other models because of all the off road features and looks nicer. Very capable stock, I can slap on 35s right away. Even go 37s and not have to upgrade the axles or anything, comes with Dana 44 axles, 4.10 gearing, fuel tank skid plate shield, transfer case skid plate shield, front sway bar disconnect, lockers, recovery points, rock rails, I did do the 2 inch mopar lift. Higher resale, I can sell the Rubicon take up parts too

The Rubicon looks cool, the hood vents, higher fenders, red dash, Rubicon stitched in the seats.

I'd choose a Sport over the Rubicon if I couldn't afford the Rubi or didnt wanna pay close to or over $50k +, if I was going to completely upgrade the jeep, if I didn't care for mild off roading, if gas mileage is a concern. If someone just wants a Jeep to have a Jeep.

I'd get the Rubicon if I wanted something capable out of the box while having a warranty

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I think we are seeing a majority of replies here from people who bought Roob's because they off-road and want the best off-road model, which is nice to see. That's why I bought a Roob; because I off-road and want the most capable off-road version I can get (or afford)...

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
I bought my JLUR greatly because of looks. I'm not one to really do mods and love the way the Rubicon looks. To me, the other models (Willys was not available at the time i purchased) looked kinda puny in stock form with the big boxy body and small tires while i loved the way the Rubi looked right out of the box where i would be happy to look at it every day and never have to think of modding it to my taste.

It also helped that at the time the difference between my Rubicon build vs. a similarly built Sahara was only like $3-4K which to me was negligible and worth it to get what i wanted and not have to spend money on upgrading tires/wheels, grill inserts, etc.
Sponsored