First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
How many of the Wranglers sold are Rubicon models? Is it because dealers spec them that way for a higher profit, or because people want Rubicons. Are people buying what dealers are selling, or are they buying what they want? How many of the people that buy a Rubicon really want, or need, the capability of the Rubicon?

I had a neighbor that sold her Rubicon. When I asked about it she said, "it would be great for going to the mountains I guess, but I never do that". I don't think she really had any sense of what "going to the mountains" even means, she just thought a Rubicon meant "off road" and you do that in the "mountains". Not a knock against her, and actually she sold it because it rode "rough" and she never went to the mountains, so good for her for getting a Toyota Highlander to replace it. It just made me wonder why I see so many Rubicons. They've gotta be something like ten-to-one around here. Why are people buying them?
Sponsored

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
My own thought (not knowing anything about Wranglers at the time) was that if I was going to get a Wrangler, I don't want something lukewarm or half-capable. I want one that can deliver the full Wrangler experience.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
So I may be bias but I love my Rubi for what she can do! Do I always use her for that? No! I Bought mine because I have had Tj's Cj's and Jk's ...sport, Sahara, 4.0 blah blah blah...Love Jeeps and this is my 6th along with at least 60 cars in between be it audis ..porsche's, z's, mustangs, point is ....Jeeps are always the vehicle I come back to because they take you any where you want to go....Anywhere! This time around buying the Rubicon was just an added benefit of having all Jeep can offer. I Daily drive my JLR 57 miles to work everyday and I can tell you I enjoy every minute I am in it. Hope to have many years with this rig. Like the old saying goes you are either a Jeep person or your not...Rubicon ..Sahara..Sport...Renegade...doesn't matter!

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I ordered my Rubi 2-door because I wanted what I believed to be the most capable out-of-the-box 4x4 available...Then I proceeded to mod it and make it ever better:)
And yes, I use it for how it was designed and also currently as my DD while I wait for a TRX to arrive.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Like others, I am not into heavily modifying a vehicle. I would rather buy what I want for the specific mission of that vehicle, and then go. So when I know I need a vehicle to do X, Y, or Z, I find the one that is best at doing those things. With my lifestyle, I generally will only do X or Y intentionally, but may inadvertently need to do Z at some point in time.

The Rubicon gives me that insurance. I wander when I travel. Mostly alone. I Love to explore and the best part about exploring is that you never know what you're going to find along the way. With the Rubicon (and this is my second) I know that I can get myself out of anything I get myself into. Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. So while I never intend to go rock crawling for example, it's good to know that I can if I run into a situation where I have to.

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Picking up my second Wrangler and first Rubicon on Saturday.

Went with a Rubicon because most of the super expensive stuff is done, for how I intend to use it. Will likely never need to upgrade axles, lockers are standard, and gears will work with 35’s and some even say 37’s (depending on driving style and personal preference).

Did everything from scratch on the JKU, spent a small fortune, and still didn’t get to where I wanted. Starting closer to the finish line saves me money.

crudesolo

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 dr
I always wanted a Wrangler and it was on the lot. Also I needed a vehicle that doesn’t care about what the weather does.

This is the first 4 wheel vehicle, I’ve really enjoyed.

Sponsored

andrew4fins

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Like most of the other posts we bought a Rubi because it had all the options we wanted so no need to add much later. Capable for what we may ever encounter and a really nice Jeep with the daily driver stuff we wanted. Plus all the goodies are baked into the value. Added a mild lift n 35’s and we’re happy. Love her.

95D64B67-E855-4BDA-9E05-026A45D98FD7.jpeg

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Only figure I saw in a quick google search was actually an older post here ballparking the rubicon at 20% of sales.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
How many of the Wranglers sold are Rubicon models? Is it because dealers spec them that way for a higher profit, or because people want Rubicons. Are people buying what dealers are selling, or are they buying what they want? How many of the people that buy a Rubicon really want, or need, the capability of the Rubicon?

I had a neighbor that sold her Rubicon. When I asked about it she said, "it would be great for going to the mountains I guess, but I never do that". I don't think she really had any sense of what "going to the mountains" even means, she just thought a Rubicon meant "off road" and you do that in the "mountains". Not a knock against her, and actually she sold it because it rode "rough" and she never went to the mountains, so good for her for getting a Toyota Highlander to replace it. It just made me wonder why I see so many Rubicons. They've gotta be something like ten-to-one around here. Why are people buying them?
I don't go off road a lot, but I wanted a Rubicon for the capability. You can get them at a reasonable price. As my old boss used to say, 'Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.'

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
I think you are in an area either that is higher income or you are not noticing all the other models. I see many many more sport models than any other, not even close. But where I live I get carpel tunnel with the Jeep wave. 1 out of 5 vehicles is a Jeep here. So it might take 30 minutes of driving to see a rubi, and in that time I might see 20 jeeps.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
…this is my 6th along with at least 60 cars in between be it audis ..porsche's, z's, mustangs…Hope to have many years with this rig...
LOL, something tells me you’ll be swapping it out before “many years” pass. A coworker who’s a car guy often tells people “I change cars like I change my socks”, sound familiar?
Sponsored