Sponsored

Rubicon Poll - Have you had problems with your locker sensors

Have you had "service axle locker" (locker sensor) problems on your Rubicon?

• Never had problem, but have under 15K miles on Jeep

• Never had problem, and have over 15K miles on Jeep

• Had the problem, while Jeep had less than 15K miles (not self inflicted)

• Had the problem, while Jeep had over 15K miles (not self inflicted)

• Had the problem, but it was self inflicted (stretched lines, etc)

• I potted my sensors, and don't have the problem since potting

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Humm....clean oil should not conduct enough electricity to short a circuit. Oil with lots of soluble metal shavings from the gear will conduct a lot more electricity, and is more likely to short it.

That is the thinking. I have no idea if it is valid in practice or not. But in theory it makes some sense, and some owners have reported intermittent problem going away with a fluid change.
This is your assumption, you are welcome to it. There will always be iron filings in your diff oil. The magnets in both my drain plugs were covered in fines and the rear diff fluid was already a darker color, much darker than the front with less than 2000 miles. I do not think a fluid change fixed the sensor shorting in any case, that is really a leap of faith right there.

As for addressing the issue, the only way to do that is source a replacement sensor. And I have tried. I asked for a quote via Alibaba, but no dice.
There is a good thread with the potting procedure linked above. Several attempts have been made to source the sensors. It is not possible at this time, even in bulk.

I do not believe that potting addresses the issue. Let's say the actual locker or diff fails. You take to dealer for warranty service. They open the diff and find holes and potting compound on the locker sensor. Deny the claim. I don't find that an acceptable risk.
Interesting. The potting process is a common proven process to protect electronic circuits. I find it amazing that you think oil free of metal will solve this but not the potting? That is a huge stretch for me, to each his own I guess.

(edited for more appropriate response)
The idea that they would deny a damaged diff or axle over a potted sensor is another huge stretch for me. If anything a functioning sensor could help prevent damage. If the sensor is working and the locker or axle shaft or differential fails, I personally would fight that denial and I am confident they would cover the failure. Big assumption they would ever even notice the sensor potted IMO. There is no way the sensor being potted could ever be responsible for a mechanical failure.

I questioned this similarly to you, my posts are in the thread.

Thus the poll. I need more info on how likely the problem is to surface, before replacement sensors are available as the fix. What are the relative risks of the sensor failing vs losing the warranty due to potting? I don't know. Hoping the poll will help shed some light.
I think the failure at low mileage is total luck of the draw. I think eventually most will fail and if it does out of warranty you either pony up for an axle or buy the bypass harness. The solution is simple and safe but I understand how people over react to perceived risk, the world just went through that as a whole...

Good Luck with your decision.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I do not have this issue (yet). I had my Jeep in the shop today to replace a leaking fuel line. When I spoke to the advisor of this fairly small dealership he told me he had two Rubicon’s waiting for new axles. I don’t know the failure rate but I think this might be a growing problem…. I’m going to pot mine…

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

Sponsored

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
So we are now over 100 votes - decent sample size, but hoping for even more. Thank you to all who voted.

Recap at the ~100 vote mark:
  1. Of all 102 votes 90% did not have the problem, 10% (a very high percentage) had a problem
  2. Of the 40 votes cast by those with more than 15,000 miles on the Jeep 15% (6) had problems
  3. Of the 10 owners who had problems, 60% had them after 15K miles, 40% before

Sounds like we should keep the poll open long term to see if the trend changes over time as the average fleet mileage increases. It would also be interesting to know if model-year (vs just mileage) plays any part in it.

If anyone here have a contact at Jeep or regional quality manager who you feel could act on this data, please share with them.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Voted, "Never had problem, and have over 15k miles on Jeep" but I did pot both sensors shortly over 15k miles.

OKKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR Recon
2020 JLR Recon. Have done 5 BOH trails and have about 10,000 miles. No locker issues.

Ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
I just dropped the oil and potted my sensors yesterday. I let them dry overnight and re-installed them this morning. The potting compound is about $25 online and I used just shy of 3 qts of Amsoil severe gear 75-90 to refill. Getting the top bolts out of the front cover is the biggest pain, the rest is super easy. Mine has under 2000 miles, has been off road a few days already and I have used the lockers. No oil in my sensors and now there never will be. Totally worth the time and effort for the piece of mind. I do not doubt they would fix it if the went bad but waiting for new axles and then getting them installed all the while not being able to use the features I paid for would piss me off. Cheap easy insurance, I would recommend it to anybody with a JL or JT Rubicon.
On the thread that explains the potting sequence, someone mentioned to use a jack on the Left Front side frame to lift the Jeep which makes the upper Diff cover bolts easier to get to. I did this for a second time on my JT and it made it a lot easier to remove and install the front cover.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Mine was the first front axle the dealer had seen. Rest were rears.

Sponsored

Ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
The Rubicon front and rear locker sensor issue, seems to be the main long running reported problem without a root cause solution. But I haven't seen any data/poll on how prevalent it is. So I figured I'd create a poll to see if I can unscare myself and others.

Please take your time and vote.

Also, if everyone can post Model Year, Mileage, mods (e.g. regear) and problem or not on this thread it would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Your voting options don't give an option for those who don't have issues because their sensors are potted. I have done both my JL (Potted @ 816 miles) and JT (Potted @ 475 miles) and will not have any chance of oil intrusion into the sensor. There is a thread on here that goes into great detail regarding this issue, some members are on their 3rd axle replacement. It is unknown why FCA doesn't have their vendor pot these sensors. It has also been known that service techs are not authorized to open the diffs and are instructed to replace the axle assy if their troubleshooting leads to a faulty sensor. Also if the sensor is potted correctly chances are slim that a tech would even realize its been potted. Here is the link to this thread and it is very informative on the issue.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/locker-position-sensor-potting-dana-44.59581/

Marn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
No issues as of yet, but now I'm sure I'll have them.

2019 JLUR, 24,000 miles.

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Your voting options don't give an option for those who don't have issues because their sensors are potted. I have done both my JL (Potted @ 816 miles) and JT (Potted @ 475 miles) and will not have any chance of oil intrusion into the sensor. There is a thread on here that goes into great detail regarding this issue, some members are on their 3rd axle replacement. It is unknown why FCA doesn't have their vendor pot these sensors. It has also been known that service techs are not authorized to open the diffs and are instructed to replace the axle assy if their troubleshooting leads to a faulty sensor. Also if the sensor is potted correctly chances are slim that a tech would even realize its been potted. Here is the link to this thread and it is very informative on the issue.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/locker-position-sensor-potting-dana-44.59581/

That is a valid point. I know there was a poll on who has potted the sensor.

Are you suggesting I add a voting option that says:
"I don't have the problem, because I proactively potted the sensors" ?

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
That is a valid point. I know there was a poll on who has potted the sensor.

Are you suggesting I add a voting option that says:
"I don't have the problem, because I proactively potted the sensors" ?
I like it! Changed my vote to potted and functional

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Thank you for all the additional votes. We are still at Ëś10-11% of people having the problem (still very high).

The curious thing is that the same amount of people encountered the problem before 15K miles as after. Sounds like 15K miles may be the median time for problem to start.
Sponsored