Sponsored

Rubicon Poll - Have you had problems with your locker sensors

Have you had "service axle locker" (locker sensor) problems on your Rubicon?

• Never had problem, but have under 15K miles on Jeep

• Never had problem, and have over 15K miles on Jeep

• Had the problem, while Jeep had less than 15K miles (not self inflicted)

• Had the problem, while Jeep had over 15K miles (not self inflicted)

• Had the problem, but it was self inflicted (stretched lines, etc)

• I potted my sensors, and don't have the problem since potting

Results are only viewable after voting.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The Rubicon front and rear locker sensor issue, seems to be the main long running reported problem without a root cause solution. But I haven't seen any data/poll on how prevalent it is. So I figured I'd create a poll to see if I can unscare myself and others.

Please take your time and vote.

Also, if everyone can post Model Year, Mileage, mods (e.g. regear) and problem or not on this thread it would be great.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Looks Like the Axle Locker Sensor (Mopar Part Number: 68544629AA) is now available to be ordered separately from Mopar. See post linked below for details:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...our-locker-sensors.75293/page-12#post-1833280
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
A thread with a broader description of the problem and possible solutions is here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/“service-axle-locker-system”-light-on.13241/

Quick summary:

Some Rubicon owners see flashing locker lights and/or an intermittent or permanent "service axle locker" message. Most often, the cause seems to be a failed locker position sensor inside the diff housing that gets oil infiltration and shorts out. Other cause can be chafed wires/harnesses, stretched cables during lift install, etc.

To date, for the failed sensor issue, the only solution available from Jeep/Stelantis is to replace the entire axle assembly, causing long delays due to parts shortage, and issues for those with aftermarket items on the axle. A work around is a harness from Z-automotive that takes the sensor out of the equation.

The ultimate fix would be a better sensor design (better sealed) and/or Jeep (or a third party) selling the sensor as a spare. The sensor itself is likely a $10 part and relatively easy to replace.

EDIT: Looks Like the Axle Locker Sensor (Mopar Part Number: 68544629AA) is now available to be ordered separately from Mopar. See post linked below for details:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...our-locker-sensors.75293/page-12#post-1833280

Last edited:

Bri_BKT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Rubicon JLU 4xe; 2016 Mazda CX-5
I went ahead and polled on my '19 Mojito Rubi with 28K miles even though I just traded for a '21 4xe Rubi. I'm curious to see the results.

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I have a model year 2021 JLUR Jan/2021 build, a bit over 4,000 miles, no problems to date.

More info. I have changed the diff covers (rear at 500 miles, front at 3,000 miles) and have seen no oil on connectors or sensor. I have exercised my lockers often and they work perfectly. Fingers crossed.

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Bone stock 2019 JLR with the 3.6L and manual transmission. 35k miles. Never had this particular issue. Full disclosure though, I don’t use the lockers often, though I intend to change that once I finish my move out Californee-way.

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
Bone stock 2019 JLR with the 3.6L and manual transmission. 35k miles. Never had this particular issue. Full disclosure though, I don’t use the lockers often, though I intend to change that once I finish my move out Californee-way.
You’re the one moving in…
I thought everyone was leaving. Although I couldn’t swear to it by any of the road driving I’ve done lately.
Welcome.
Sorry, off topic.
I have had no issues with my locker sensors. I also have under 1,000 mi.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
You’re the one moving in…
I thought everyone was leaving. Although I couldn’t swear to it by any of the road driving I’ve done lately.
Welcome.
Sorry, off topic.
I have had no issues with my locker sensors. I also have under 1,000 mi.
Well it’s funny you mention that because I’m not actually moving to Cali by choice (military orders)! I’ll be moving out of Cali, probably over to Kansas, in a few years.

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
2020 JL Rubicon just over 16000K. No issue...knock on wood. I have not used lockers yet, but may get to in the next week as I run some Colorado trails. Not sure if using them causes the issue or if the sensor just goes bad on its own at some point?

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
The factory is currently collecting parts to build mine. As far as I know, they have not had any issues with the lockers in my yet to be built Rubicon. 😊

Sponsored

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Thanks for putting this together. It's been on my mind and while there's a many page thread about this, I'm hesitant on potting the lockers. Everybody says to do it, but I wonder how many actually have working axles without a problem.

I don't know if it's too late, but it would be good to know if they are stock, unmodified, not potted axles. It seems like a lot of people in that thread of regeared, and since they've already voided the warranty by regearing, they suggest potting.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Thanks for posting this poll. I too am curious. I want to install diff covers but don’t want to go through the swap process if the sensor(s) fail. I wish Dana would allow for replacement purchase of sensors only..

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
I've seen intermittent "Service Axle Locker System" lights since year 1, but I've never had a problem using them. The error will usually show for a few seconds about once a month when I first turn on the Jeep, but them go away. I'm seriously considering potting the sensors, but I have to make the time to do it. I offroad about once a month and the lockers get used a lot. It would suck if they failed.

Reactions: J0E

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
2018 Rubi, 15K, no issues. But.... I had my lockers wired to my aux switches for the first 6 months ish before I got the Tazer Mini. And even though I’m at 15k, at least 10k is off-road. And I’ve been using my lockers at least once a week for almost 3 years. So my situation is a little different, that’s why I didn’t do poll.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
2018 with 25,000 miles. Both axles have been replaced under warranty. I think this is a major problem with the design and Jeep should do more to correct their design fault. The only bright spot in the situation is the sensors are part of the drive train and are under warranty for 5years/50,000 miles.
Sponsored