Sponsored

Rubicon Poll - Have you had problems with your locker sensors

Have you had "service axle locker" (locker sensor) problems on your Rubicon?

• Never had problem, but have under 15K miles on Jeep

• Never had problem, and have over 15K miles on Jeep

• Had the problem, while Jeep had less than 15K miles (not self inflicted)

• Had the problem, while Jeep had over 15K miles (not self inflicted)

• Had the problem, but it was self inflicted (stretched lines, etc)

• I potted my sensors, and don't have the problem since potting

Results are only viewable after voting.

vandyrn27

First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Dealer replaced the entire rear axle on my 2020 rubicon this week. It was a 6 week wait for the parts, but thankfully was covered under warranty
Sponsored

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I know some members on this forum have contacted Jeep executives in the past via email or phone.

I wonder if someone feels inclined to send a screenshot of the poll to one of those execs. They may appreciate the data, and gives us an opportunity to ask for a better solution than replacing the axle.

Anyone feels they have a good contact they can used?

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Dealer replaced the entire rear axle on my 2020 rubicon this week. It was a 6 week wait for the parts, but thankfully was covered under warranty
Did you have any mods? Lift of diff covers?

Sponsored

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
This is one of the reasons I'll be getting a Willys over a Rubicon for Jeep #2

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
15% failure rate….my dealer said several have come through their shop with the problem. I have the potting material, just haven’t gotten it done.

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
15% failure rate….my dealer said several have come through their shop with the problem. I have the potting material, just haven’t gotten it done.
Believe me or not, the high failure rate is what gives me comfort, and the reason I decided to buy the 2021.

With that high a failure rate, you figure that Jeep or Dana will be more motivated to come up with a sensible solution - pull the cover, replace the sensor, replace the cover, refill the diff. 0.5 hr labor rate vs 4 hours labor rate plus the axle which is what they are doing now.

The insanity must stop any day now... (I hope).

Last edited:

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2021, towed my travel trailer around 3500 miles. Happened halfway through the trip. The camper is roughly 3200lbs. Dealer is replacing my rear axle.

No mods, 100% stock.

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
2021, towed my travel trailer around 3500 miles. Happened halfway through the trip. The camper is roughly 3200lbs. Dealer is replacing my rear axle.

No mods, 100% stock.
I'm sorry it happened to you, but at least you are 100% stock, so no aftermarket parts to remove/reinstall and no questions on warranty.

Did your dealer say if there is a wait for the axle and how long it would take?

Sponsored

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
2020 JLUR w/ 30k miles. no issues.

both diffs serviced @ 30k. tech said old oil looked "normal", ie no excess amount of metal filings. rear oil slightly darker than front, as expected.

i need to get off my ass and get them potted.

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
So is this something that should keep me from getting Rubicon? It's one of these things right now pushing me into a Willys... also, I hear the quick disconnect has issues too?

Ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
So is this something that should keep me from getting Rubicon? It's one of these things right now pushing me into a Willys... also, I hear the quick disconnect has issues too?
I wouldnt let it be a reason not to get a Rubi. I just made potting my axle lock sensors a priority when getting my Jeep. I potted my JL sensors at 800 miles and my Gladiator sensors around 400 miles. It super easy to do if you take your time and gives me piece of mind in the future.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/locker-position-sensor-potting-dana-44.59581/

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
If you are not going to modify your Jeep, then it is a warranty nuisance. Those of us with modified Jeeps are more exposed to have warranties denied and/or having to remove/reinstall all our mods that connect to the affected axle.

My thinking was/is that sooner or later Jeep/Dana would come to their senses and supply the $2 sensor that fails as a replacement part (vs replacing entire axles). So I'm rolling the dice that this will be the case if/when I hit the problem.

I'm at 7,000 miles and no problems so far. Looks like the median mileage to hit the problem is ~15K miles.

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
That's where I'm at too; debating on rolling the dice and seeing how it goes.

On a side note, are there still issues with the quick disconnect? Or have those been resolved?
Sponsored