Sponsored

Rubicon Poll - Have you had problems with your locker sensors

Have you had "service axle locker" (locker sensor) problems on your Rubicon?

• Never had problem, but have under 15K miles on Jeep

• Never had problem, and have over 15K miles on Jeep

• Had the problem, while Jeep had less than 15K miles (not self inflicted)

• Had the problem, while Jeep had over 15K miles (not self inflicted)

• Had the problem, but it was self inflicted (stretched lines, etc)

• I potted my sensors, and don't have the problem since potting

Results are only viewable after voting.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ā€˜20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
At 37,XXX miles, have yet to have the noted issue. The front and rear lockers are used on a regular basis out here in the desert in various 4L scenarios.
Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
A thread with a broader description of the problem and possible solutions is here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ā€œservice-axle-locker-systemā€-light-on.13241/

Quick summary:

Some Rubicon owners see flashing locker lights and/or an intermittent or permanent "service axle locker" message. Most often, the cause seems to be a failed locker position sensor inside the diff housing that gets oil infiltration and shorts out. Other cause can be chafed wires/harnesses, stretched cables during lift install, etc.

To date, for the failed sensor issue, the only solution available from Jeep/Stelantis is to replace the entire axle assembly, causing long delays due to parts shortage, and issues for those with aftermarket items on the axle. A work around is a harness from Z-automotive that takes the sensor out of the equation.

The ultimate fix would be a better sensor design (better sealed) and/or Jeep (or a third party) selling the sensor as a spare. The sensor itself is likely a $10 part and relatively easy to replace.
Another solution to the oil infiltration is to add electronics potting epoxy to the sensors. It's not terribly difficult if you're mechanically inclined.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/locker-position-sensor-potting-dana-44.59581/

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Over 20K and no issues. Lockers are both used regularly.

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Not sure if using them causes the issue or if the sensor just goes bad on its own at some point?
I don't think usage has any bearing on the oil infiltration issue. I exercise (cycle on/off) my lockers every now and then to confirm they are in good working order in between wheeling trips.

I also use 4HI every now and then to give the front diff a nice spin with the gear oil. But not sure if that does any good, to be honest.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Had the issue on my '19 Rubi 4dr with 3k on the ODO. Changed diff oil at ~25k miles and problem went away, but it was consistently 'iffy' between that 3k and 25k. It probably was doing it before 3k but that's the first chance I got to wheel it.

No issue yet on my Gladiator Rubi or 2dr Rubi both with about 6k, both have been wheeled.

Sponsored

Storminā€™ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
My 2019 has 75,000 miles and i never had that particular issue. But in full disclosure I'm on my 3rd axle for other reasons. The secret is to break your axle before it can break itself.

My wife's 2020 has 27,000 and recently started with the issue. The light came on for a little while, then went off. I'm ready to order the harness from Z next time it happens. Even though it's under warranty it's been regeared and there's no way I'm going down that path again.

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Had the issue on my '19 Rubi 4dr with 3k on the ODO. Changed diff oil at ~25k miles and problem went away, but it was consistently 'iffy' between that 3k and 25k. It probably was doing it before 3k but that's the first chance I got to wheel it.

No issue yet on my Gladiator Rubi or 2dr Rubi both with about 6k, both have been wheeled.
Need to find a way to let you vote 3 times :)

On changing the oil, that was the main question I had in my mind. If we keep the oil relatively fresh and free from metal shavings, it should not short the circuit if it gets in the sensor. But I think on another thread someone (who likely knows more than me) said that would not help.

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My wife's 2020 has 27,000 and recently started with the issue. The light came on for a little while, then went off. I'm ready to order the harness from Z next time it happens. Even though it's under warranty it's been regeared and there's no way I'm going down that path again.
Do you feel like changing the fluid to see if that makes it better/fixes it? I'd be interested in knowing it. My current plan is to try to keep my diff fluid as free of metal as possible by changing fluid often.

mygreenkaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Never had a problem and under 15K.
Note: I did pot mine, I'd estimate about 1,000 - 1,500 miles ago.
Just over 11K now.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I just dropped the oil and potted my sensors yesterday. I let them dry overnight and re-installed them this morning. The potting compound is about $25 online and I used just shy of 3 qts of Amsoil severe gear 75-90 to refill. Getting the top bolts out of the front cover is the biggest pain, the rest is super easy. Mine has under 2000 miles, has been off road a few days already and I have used the lockers. No oil in my sensors and now there never will be. Totally worth the time and effort for the piece of mind. I do not doubt they would fix it if the went bad but waiting for new axles and then getting them installed all the while not being able to use the features I paid for would piss me off. Cheap easy insurance, I would recommend it to anybody with a JL or JT Rubicon.

Sponsored

Storminā€™ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Do you feel like changing the fluid to see if that makes it better/fixes it? I'd be interested in knowing it. My current plan is to try to keep my diff fluid as free of metal as possible by changing fluid often.
I may go ahead and do that

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Never had a locker issue with my wife's '20 Recon, coming up on 20k miles, but then again she's never used the lockers, so maybe that has something to do with it. ;)

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Keep us posted. Maybe there is "brink it back from the brink" solution before it gets fubar.
I do not understand why you wouldn't just address the issue? Keeping the oil clean has zero bearing on the failure. The sensor cover leaks allowing oil in and that shorts out the sensor. I am not sure how you assumed cleaner oil wouldn't short it out? That's dreaming right there...

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I do not understand why you wouldn't just address the issue? Keeping the oil clean has zero bearing on the failure. The sensor cover leaks allowing oil in and that shorts out the sensor. I am not sure how you assumed cleaner oil wouldn't short it out? That's dreaming right there...
Humm....clean oil should not conduct enough electricity to short a circuit. Oil with lots of soluble metal shavings from the gear will conduct a lot more electricity, and is more likely to short it.

That is the thinking. I have no idea if it is valid in practice or not. But in theory it makes some sense, and some owners have reported intermittent problem going away with a fluid change.

As for addressing the issue, the only way to do that is source a replacement sensor. And I have tried. I asked for a quote via Alibaba, but no dice.

I do not believe that potting addresses the issue. Let's say the actual locker or diff fails. You take to dealer for warranty service. They open the diff and find holes and potting compound on the locker sensor. Deny the claim. I don't find that an acceptable risk.

Thus the poll. I need more info on how likely the problem is to surface, before replacement sensors are available as the fix. What are the relative risks of the sensor failing vs losing the warranty due to potting? I don't know. Hoping the poll will help shed some light.
Sponsored