Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I'm calling BS, just like I called back in September.
You guys are all missing one (maybe 2) important factors:
In 2 words: Value perception.
This is 100% a marketing thing. The walls around the King's castle in any segment are thick for a reason. Dropping price seems like a consumer friendly move, but many would see it as Jeep yielding, interpret it as a move to bump slumping sales, and then you have a self fulfilling prophecy.

1). Wrangler =/= Rubicon. Rubicon is the "halo vehicle" in all of the JL/JT equipment packages, and has been since 2003. Not trying to get into a Rubi vs. Non pissing match here, and you can argue "well I can build better _____" all day; According to the Jeep/ FCA- Rubicon is top of the pile. As such, you may see some discounts/ incentives on other models: Sport, Sahara, etc., as well as any leftovers- But Rubicon will likely remain within it's current price point. They don't sit on lots, and some dealers don't get them unless they're special ordered.

2). in the JK mid model refresh, they added trim levels to each trim level. This is how you got the "Rubicon X, S, and Hard Rock" or whatever. They're already doing this with Sport/ Sport S, if I'm not mistaken. What we might see, is Rubicon X now starting $5k (just making up a number) below where it is now, for a base Rubicon, THEN the price jumps higher as you add options/ packages until you get to the hard rock. Since they've done this before, I could see this being way more likely and charging even more at the top end.
It's an interesting thought, but I don't see it happening.

Feel free to click through the original post, which is a semi-related discussion about the Bronco causing a price drop for the Wrangler (Spoiler alert: It won't). Bold added for emphasis. I think it would be a bold move by Jeep and a serious departure from the last 17 years. Sales are not suffering and it doesn't look like they will be for a while so I"m guessing Jeep follows the same strategy, or maybe switches to the changes speculated above based on their history with the JK.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
There’s already too much equity built into the Rubicon name to turn it into a value package.

FCA has no reason to do it. As it sits, Rubicons are selling at a generous price premium, and Rubicons make a greater proportion of Wrangler sales mix than their premium price would suggest.

In so many words, “Rubicon”, in both JL and JT guise, is a permit to print money. FCA would be foolish to screw it up.

MoparMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator coming soon
Maybe they're just going to upgrade the Rubicon with all of this stuff and give the Sport and Sahara a Rubicon package with the current Rubicon stuff without the Sway Bar. That'll be smarter.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Ha! The only thing I miss about owning a Rubicon is the swaybar disconnect. Everything else I can do without.

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
I can see them offering a package similar to the Mohave glad eventually on the rubicon. The lift with the upgraded fox shocks and 35’s.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Ford sold FX4 trucks as a separate trim level for several years in the 2000s. Then they dropped it a trim level and sold that suspension package as an option on every trim level from base to Platinum. It did much more for sales ans apparently there were many customers who wanted it on base XL trucks.

Jeep could do the same thing with the Rubicon, offer it from base to whatever is loaded up now (they change it all the time). For 35s and 37s, they could offer it as a dealer installed package, like when the old muscle cars would come with dual quads and headers packed with the car. The factory didn't install it for various legal reasons.

I think it's a good idea, as there are many who would want a base Jeep with Rubicon capabilities. Not everyone wants all the stuff that comes with the current Rubicon trim level(s), as there are 2, like many other Jeep offerings that confuse people.

The base Sport should be kept, as they do sell quite a few of them. Call it the Wrangler X or Classic. Then get rid of the confusing Sport "S" and just call it a Sport. Make a trim level called Overland, or maybe Laredo, for the step above the Sport then make the highest trim Sahara. Limited editions should be limited to a trim level. Or should, in fact be limited trim levels that are gone once they're built out for a model year. There shouldn't be redundant and confusing things like 2 differnt Willys and 2 different Sports, etc. And it seems now like Willys is morphing into it's own trim level. It's confusing to the casual buyer, the salesmen are confused worse at most dealers, purchasing managers don't know what to order. Hell it even confuses us here. Let's not even start a Mojave discussion.

Well, maybe we should. There has been talk of a Rubicon light. So that could be D44s, 4.10/4.30 gears, Rubicon springs, Fox shocks, 4.1 transfer case, but no electronic gizmos.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
People forget Jeep offered a rear locker & sway bar disconnect on the base X trim when JK first came out (2007-09)

In later years JK also offered a $1500 optional rear locker on many non-Rubicon special edition trims (Moab, Freedom, Willys, etc.)

CalPilot

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL (waiting)
I so hope this is true. Just read this post over on ExpeditionPortal.

Rubicon now a $5k package option on all Wranglers

In an effort to provide consumers with what they actually desire, Jeep has announced it will begin offering the Rubicon as a $5k package for all Wranglers from the Sport through the High Altitude. The package will consist of heavy-duty Dana 44 axles with 5.13 gears, larger brakes and factory 37" tires. The package will also include a 4:1 low-gear ratio Rock-Trac® 4x4 System and front and rear Tru-Lok® electronic locking differentials. The Jeep Performance Parts 2-inch lift kit will come standard and other popular accessories such as a snorkel, winch, etc. will now be available as factory options.

Absolutely no idea if this is true or where this person heard it, but I do hope it is true.
Fake news

Sponsored

Ronin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2016 JK
Offering the Rubicon features as an off road package on the other models would be awesome. I would have been all over that on a Sport Unlimited.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
392 powered Wranglers are the next halo model. That may be why there is talk of expanding Rubicon capabilities to other trim levels. But we’re all just sitting around and having a discussion that amounts to nothing more than speculation at this point.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
For years I've been saying Jeep missed an opportunity by making Rubicon an upscale model rather than an off road package available on all models. I've got a 2012 Rubicon in the garage right now. By far the worst part of getting ready for Summer is taking the doors off. I so wish it didn't have power windows, locks and mirrors. I've got a 2021 Rubicon on order and wish there was a power delete package (did I just say that out loud?)
I agree. Had power delete been an option I would have bought 2 w it.

Sontavaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lj - sold-cause im an idiot. 2019 blue rubi ordered and received. I need my LJ back.
Occupation
Repressor of civil rights
37 inches and 2 inch lift would never be able to meet the cafe standards. That’s why Jeep makes that a do it yourself project.