Sponsored

Rubicon Package as a $5k upgrade to any trim

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I so hope this is true. Just read this post over on ExpeditionPortal.

Rubicon now a $5k package option on all Wranglers

In an effort to provide consumers with what they actually desire, Jeep has announced it will begin offering the Rubicon as a $5k package for all Wranglers from the Sport through the High Altitude. The package will consist of heavy-duty Dana 44 axles with 5.13 gears, larger brakes and factory 37" tires. The package will also include a 4:1 low-gear ratio Rock-Trac® 4x4 System and front and rear Tru-Lok® electronic locking differentials. The Jeep Performance Parts 2-inch lift kit will come standard and other popular accessories such as a snorkel, winch, etc. will now be available as factory options.

Absolutely no idea if this is true or where this person heard it, but I do hope it is true.
Sponsored

Sirois2018

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Grande Cherokee Overland, 2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
That's the craziest thing I've seen on the internet today. Next, somebody will say you get a Rubicon package on a Grande Cherokee that includes the demon motor and a parachute.

Sponsored

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
That's the craziest thing I've seen on the internet today. Next, somebody will say you get a Rubicon package on a Grande Cherokee that includes the demon motor and a parachute.
Parachute costs extra :like:

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
37s...hmmm...if true along with 5.13's (about which I am extremely skeptical) from the factory would go a long way to limiting the ability of a dealer to negate your warranty because you are running "oversized tires".

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
So... some of the same kinda stuff you get for the Sasquatch upgrade on Bronco? I believe that's like 5kish.

I don't know... maybe?

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
FCA releases material vehicle options in such a piecemeal manner that I sometimes wonder why they bother with model year designations.

Discrete paint choices, half door/soft upper packages, the alleged Rubicon option, and so on. It's getting easier to remember what wasn't available when I ordered my JLU in September, than what was.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
LOL. Not happening.

If anything Jeep may make lockers an option, but even that I think they’d be too worried about cutting into the sales of the rubicon which is a cash cow for them.

Jeeps path forward is probably:

1. Get rid of the Sport or large price cut. If getting rid of it, drop the sport s price to where the sport is now.
2. Introduce a “rubicon light” without the sway bar disconnect/rock rails/etc. similar to the willy’s but with two lockers?
3. Make a rear locker optional on all trims

In all seriousness though, Jeep is probably having a bit of a tough time with how to deal with their packaging. They have held up the rubicon package components as a kind of “holy grail” trim, and now that Ford said “lol not special put lockers on fucking EVERYTHING” they’re probably going to have to really change what the rubicon is. I’d personally expect the *Rubicon* itself to be similar to what the OP said in the coming years. But not on all trims.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
For years I've been saying Jeep missed an opportunity by making Rubicon an upscale model rather than an off road package available on all models. I've got a 2012 Rubicon in the garage right now. By far the worst part of getting ready for Summer is taking the doors off. I so wish it didn't have power windows, locks and mirrors. I've got a 2021 Rubicon on order and wish there was a power delete package (did I just say that out loud?)

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Jeeps path forward is probably:

1. Get rid of the Sport or large price cut. If getting rid of it, drop the sport s price to where the sport is now.
I'd wager the opposite. In the age of $50K+ two-door Rubicons*, it's easy to envision Stellantis preserving the Sport trim level as a sort of sanity check on vehicle pricing. Price cuts of any flavor aren't a foreseeable strategy, though, unfortunate as that is to contemplate.

The Rubicon isn't going anywhere, and may in fact enjoy some nascent embellishments as the Bronco finds its sea legs. Not everyone wants, needs or is willing to pay for that capability, though. And so folks will continue to look to the nominally sensible price tier occupied by the Sport and Sport S. Their window stickers are less likely to cause prospective buyers to clutch the pearls.

*There are two on my selling dealer's lot right now. The four door Rubes are hovering at $58K.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
If they had said $5k upgrade for lockers, sway bar disconnect, 4.10 gears, 4:1 Transfer Case, and 33 inch tires I would believe it.

but lower gears, a lift, and 37s is not believable.

I do believe (hope) they will put lockers on the Willys and maybe offer some better gearing options.
Sponsored