Sponsored

Rubicon or willys ????

Slaw32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 willy's sport
I can only buy one . Looks like with same options about 6,000.00 difference . Not going to be doing much rock crawling .​
Is a Willys a better fit for normal every day driving ? With higher gear ratios I would think the Willys would be able to get better gas mileage . Will be daily driver for the wife .​
I'm leaning towards the Willys .​
Asking for input to help me make a decision between the two models .​
Thanks in advance .​
Sponsored

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
I was just struggling with this and would have gone Willys, but ended up in a JLUR because price difference was like $2950. For me, it's good to have the Rubicon gadgets in case I need them, than to need them and not have them.

If it was $6k, I'd go Willys; better gas milage, less crap to break, and LSD is better for onroad driving and great for off road, and probably lower on your insurance.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
If I knew I wasn't going to be rock crawling, I'd go Willys. It's a sweet package.

needajeep

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubi EcoDiesel
I can only buy one . Looks like with same options about 6,000.00 difference . Not going to be doing much rock crawling .​
Is a Willys a better fit for normal every day driving ? With higher gear ratios I would think the Willys would be able to get better gas mileage . Will be daily driver for the wife .​
Thanks in advance .​
Hi, just my 2 cents. I bought a 21' JLUR and while it looks great it's a terrible daily driver. I suspect that the Willy's would be as well with the MT tires it comes with and the lack of standard creature comforts. If I were to do it again I'd buy a Sahara.. I've had the unfortunate experience of being without my Jeep due to an accident recently and the rental car company gave me a. Saraha. It drives much smoother with much better pickup due to the street tires and less weight over the nose (I regrettably bought a Deisel). Driving on huge MT tires with the Rubicon suspension in suburban or highway traffic is rough. And they stop/brake much worse with those setups as well. Do I sound bitter? :)

Sponsored

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
I have a Willys and is great as a daily driver/camping/and moderate trails right off the lot. I even did Broken Arrow in Sedona (look up videos) with no mods and it handled like a champ. My wife loves it! Likes is more than our Corvette. Get the Bestop sunrider top for instant convertible and she'll never stop smiling. If you are not doing any difficult trails and for sure don't want to mod, I say the Willys is a better value. The misses thinks it looks better than the Rubicon... of course that is subjective.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon or willys ???? 1637875022590

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon or willys ???? 1637875040698

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I did broken arrow in a rental sahara with 46psi in the tires. Why does the factory overinflate the tires when they put the sticker in the door sill that says 37psi? Rhetorical question.

If I was going to do it over, I would have probably gotten a willys XR, I didnt really enjoy the rubicon trail that much anyway. Too many rocks

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
This question has been asked many times in the Forums. Most of the time, when members that didn't buy the Rubicon, later say that they wished that they had. So just go get the Rubicon. Our Family has two Rubicon's, of which we are very happy with them..:)

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
I did broken arrow in a rental sahara with 46psi in the tires. Why does the factory overinflate the tires whtso they don't flat spot en they put the sticker in the door sill that says 37psi? Rhetorical question.

If I was going to do it over, I would have probably gotten a willys XR, I didnt really enjoy the rubicon trail that much anyway. Too many rocks
From what I was told so the tires won't flat spot while sitting on the Dealer lot

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks in advance .​
If your wife is going to be driving in snow, she is going to find Willys’s rear LSD a LOT more useful than Rubicon’s lockers.

Even more, I’d order the Willys with shift-it-and-forget-in Selec-Trac full-time 4WD.

Unlike lockers, LSD works 24/7 and engages automatically, instantly and seamlessly at any speed; it works in 2WD, in 4H, in 4L and in 4Auto.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Get the Willys and put some mild AT tires on it. The tires it comes with are noisy. You may even be able to make a deal with the dealer to have it done as part of the deal. The tires on the Willys will be their most valuable the day you buy it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slaw32

Slaw32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 willy's sport
If your wife is going to be driving in snow, she is going to find Willys’s rear LSD a LOT more useful than Rubicon’s lockers.

Even more, I’d order the Willys with shift-it-and-forget-in Selec-Trac full-time 4WD.

Unlike the lockers, LSD engages automatically, and works in 2WD, 4H, 4L and in 4Auto.
I didn't know that the rubicon doesn't have a LSD in the rear end . That is a deal breaker for winter driving , I live in south dakota ....
Now wondering if I should be comparing a sahara to a Willys.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
No serious rock crawling you’ll be totally fine with a Willy’s with 35” tires or less. You’ll still be able to handle fairly moderate trails. You could easily run the entire rubicon in a sport on 35” tires with maybe one or two pulls from a tow strap. Who knows, maybe not even one depending on the time of year. (After the jamborees a lot of rocks have been stacked).

The lsd and brake lock differential work great, especially paired with an automatic which makes it that much easier to crawl. The cool blacked out grille and rock rails are great as well.

Don’t get a Sahara