Sponsored

Rubicon Or Sahara With Lift?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I'm sure this question has been asked a multitude of times, but once again a fellow new Jeeper needs help deciding.

I'm in between getting a new Rubicon with the xtreme recon package on it or a Sahara then paying for a lift. I'm trying to spend my money wisely and I'm about to place an order for a new Jeep tomorrow hopefully.

My initial decision was to build a new Rubicon with the xtreme recon package so it would come already lifted, but getting ready to go to the dealer and place my order I began having second thoughts. I don't truly think I'll actually use the extra benefits of the Rubicon (sway bar disconnect, lockers, etc) since I don't plan on doing any heavy off-roading with it, but I do want the lift offered in the xtreme recon package which isn't an option on the sahara models.

After looking at the price difference a little more I am unsure if I should just go with the Sahara instead and try to save some money. I want the jeep lifted, and I absolutely do not want to lose the warranty that the Jeep comes with. Now I'm at the point of trying to figure out roughly how much it would cost to lift the Sahara through Mopar so I don't lose the warranty and comparing the cost to buying a Rubicon instead.

I also want to lift the jeep properly so I don't skimp out and have any problems with it. If anyone can help me with some info regarding what would be needed to do a proper lift (through the Jeep dealership) and roughly how much would it cost that would be great. I know going with aftermarket parts is often preferred, but I am not willing to lose the warranty at all, so that leaves me with the Jeep dealer as my only option.

If I go with a lift I would like to put on 35s at the least, but if I can then I would rather put on 37s. I know I would need a lift from Mopar, wheels and tires, but I'm also still new to this and have been reading about needing new axles, re-gearing, spacers, etc. and I'm not too familiar with all those things and their costs.

Thats about it. If anyone can help provide some clarity and info that would be great - every bit of info helps. Thanks in advance to everyone who replies.
Sponsored

Martial Fartist

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Minus the extreme package, I was in the same boat. Rubicon or Sahara? For me it would have been more expensive to go Sahara then do wheels then lift. With the rubicon I have the lift, wheels, lockers and disconnects already. So it was easy for me. Rubicon.

Im not sure how the extreme package would have complicated my decision though.

TyRoosevelt

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep JL
I'm sure this question has been asked a multitude of times, but once again a fellow new Jeeper needs help deciding.

I'm in between getting a new Rubicon with the xtreme recon package on it or a Sahara then paying for a lift. I'm trying to spend my money wisely and I'm about to place an order for a new Jeep tomorrow hopefully.

My initial decision was to build a new Rubicon with the xtreme recon package so it would come already lifted, but getting ready to go to the dealer and place my order I began having second thoughts. I don't truly think I'll actually use the extra benefits of the Rubicon (sway bar disconnect, lockers, etc) since I don't plan on doing any heavy off-roading with it, but I do want the lift offered in the xtreme recon package which isn't an option on the sahara models.

After looking at the price difference a little more I am unsure if I should just go with the Sahara instead and try to save some money. I want the jeep lifted, and I absolutely do not want to lose the warranty that the Jeep comes with. Now I'm at the point of trying to figure out roughly how much it would cost to lift the Sahara through Mopar so I don't lose the warranty and comparing the cost to buying a Rubicon instead.

I also want to lift the jeep properly so I don't skimp out and have any problems with it. If anyone can help me with some info regarding what would be needed to do a proper lift (through the Jeep dealership) and roughly how much would it cost that would be great. I know going with aftermarket parts is often preferred, but I am not willing to lose the warranty at all, so that leaves me with the Jeep dealer as my only option.

If I go with a lift I would like to put on 35s at the least, but if I can then I would rather put on 37s. I know I would need a lift from Mopar, wheels and tires, but I'm also still new to this and have been reading about needing new axles, re-gearing, spacers, etc. and I'm not too familiar with all those things and their costs.

Thats about it. If anyone can help provide some clarity and info that would be great - every bit of info helps. Thanks in advance to everyone who replies.
You cannot put 37’s on a stock sahara. You really shouldn’t even put 35’s as it doesn’t have the gears for it. If you want 37’s, you may need 4.88 gears. If you want to keep your warranty, go with the rubicon. Dealerships do not offer regears. And after you spend the money on the lift, tires, and labor on the sahara, it will either almost cost or cost more than the xr. The high tide option or the willys with the xr would be your next best bet. They are cheaper but have the better gear ratio for 37s if you upgrade tires.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum.

I went the route of Sahara for a variety of reasons:
  1. I have better need for an LSD than for lockers, particularly in these winters
  2. I wanted Selec-Trac, which I had on my 2001 Grand Cherokee and missed dearly. Full-time 4WD was not available on Rubicon then
  3. I prefer Sahara’s more understated, traditional Jeep look
  4. After owning five Rubicons and four Saharas in the past, I had better luck with Saharas overall
Now that I own a Sahara with a Mopar lift and 35-inch tires, these are my pros and cons.

Pros:
  • The Mopar lift gets you 3.5 inches of lift (4 inches in front; 3 inches in rear). That’s plenty; allowing you to easily fit 35-inch tires
  • The Mopar lift gets you a better suspension setup. The XR suspension is basically a Rubicon suspension stretched an extra inch, with the giant EcoDiesel bumpstops added to keep the suspension from bottoming out
  • The ride of the Mopar lift is excellent
Cons:
  • Sahara’s standard 3.45 gearing is inadequate to handle 35-inch tires competently. My transmission has become effectively a 6-speed; MPG has collapsed. I am now looking to spend another $2,500 in regearing
Would I do it all over again?

Perhaps. I still love Selec-Trac, especially how it works in combination with the rear LSD. But I’d stop at 34-inch tires.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Or Sahara With Lift? 525CD461-5D5D-49B4-B1CE-287FFC1229BF

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker

Sponsored

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
I did wonder after reading your post - why one would deem lockers and disconnecting sway bars as something probably not used too much - and if there's no intent to do any heavy off-roading - where the need for 37's comes from? 37's kinda changes a lot of things, so...

I'd say it depends on a few other things besides cost. If you're certain of what you want, and keeping total cost down and keeping your warranty are the primary drivers- from what you've described you're probably best to get if from the factory how you want it. You'll probably pay more up front for it, which can be a tough pill to swallow - and - you'll probably be paying more for things you really don't need and might not want. But it'll be done, warrantee'd and kosher and you won't need to worry too much about it.

However...
If this is your first Jeep and you're learning as you go (nothing wrong with that), you might be wiser in the long run to ease into it. Start with a base Sahara or Rubicon and do lift and tires as time and money permit. A stock Rubicon/Sahara are extremely fine vehicles - no need to rush into anything. Then you'll be well positioned for where ever you decide to go from there.

The Mopar Lift should cost less than $2K installed by the dealer (that includes the lift and installation), but then wheels and tires add substantial cost if you decide change them out - as much as another $3K. So now you're into a lift, tires and wheels for $5K after purchase, and this is the floor, not the ceiling. There are rear tire reinforcement brackets, gears, etc. It all adds up - but you don't have to do it all at once either. And it's fun to learn as you go; to pick and choose the features you really want rather than pay more for stuff you'll never use.

In the end, if your Jeep is a long term vehicle - bite the bullet and get what you want. But make sure you're making informed decisions and not simply following another's opinion or lead. Do your research and due-diligence (like you did by asking this question initially), and you'll be fine.

Good luck.

Cowboy from hell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Dr Rubicon hydro pearl 6 speed
Why do you want a lift and 37" tires if you don't t plan on offraoding??(for the looks?).....keep it stock if you plan on Mall crawling.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
What’s the price difference? Between convenience, warranty, gearing, fender clearance, tire carrier issues that you’ll run into with the Sahara that will need money and time or labor…get the Rubicon. The Rubicon will have a better resale too possibly.

I like my modded Sahara but know it would have been better if I had spent a little more on the front end to save more later. I basically made it a Rubicon.

mac6898

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ
OP, have you considered getting a Willys or High Tide? If I'm reading the latest build guide correctly, the XR package is standard on High Tide and an option on Willys... you'd get the lift, tires, and gearing you want and LSD, but you won't have lockers or sway bar disconnect. Just a thought.
Sponsored