Rubicon or Sahara Altitude?

Cuc717

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Mojave
Hi everyone, long time viewer of this thread. I am finally going to pull the trigger on ordering a JL. I'm between the Sahara Altitude and Rubicon. The aggressive looks of the Rubicon and the offroad capabilities are pulling me towards it, but the Sahara Altitude's suspension and fulltime 4WD pulls me towards it as a daily driver (black accents are also pretty sweet). I live in Indiana where the winter is inconsistent and I constantly commute up to the Chicago/Wisconsin area to visit family. If the Moab was still around for this model year, that would've been a no-brainer for me, but it is sadly not available and the limited stock where I am from makes it very hard to negotiate a good price. What would you guys recommend and why? I would love to hear your thoughts and look forward to reading what everyone says.
Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
The Sahara Altitude makes more sense. But you could buy almost any other SUV if you wanted that. When you think "Jeep" do you immediately think Jeep Wrangler Sahara Altitude?

Sometimes you should follow your heart.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
If the main share of your driving is going to be on-road and in bad wintery conditions I think the Sahara with limited slip option will be perfect - you can still hang on lots of trails and be pretty capable.

OP
OP

Cuc717

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Mojave
The Sahara Altitude makes more sense. But you could buy almost any other SUV if you wanted that. When you think "Jeep" do you immediately think Jeep Wrangler Sahara Altitude?

Sometimes you should follow your heart.
My heart says Moab, but my brain says "Good luck finding one"

Sponsored

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
So build your own. It’s not like it has parts you can’t find, or that haven’t been replicated in the aftermarket.

Mtenna99

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Programmer
Clubs

Have you considered the Willys model for 2020? Just a thought...if you are going for looks. It has the Moab wheels and black accents. It’s a mix between a rubicon and a sport S. You can’t configure them online yet, but there are some threads about the new willys model here

88532443-72A5-446C-82AA-8FB63705FAB4.png

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Have you considered the Willys model for 2020? Just a thought...if you are going for looks. It has the Moab wheels and black accents. It’s a mix between a rubicon and a sport S. You can’t configure them online yet, but there are some threads about the new willys model here

88532443-72A5-446C-82AA-8FB63705FAB4.png
Unfortunately the new Willy’s is essentially just an appearance package... so it’s really just a Sport and nothing really Rubicon about it, except for maybe that body mounted rail..

Mtenna99

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Programmer
Clubs

Unfortunately the new Willy’s is essentially just an appearance package... so it’s really just a Sport and nothing really Rubicon about it, except for maybe that body mounted rails.. so yea
I would agree with that...but did mention liking the black accents and more aggressive look of the rubicon so to me this kinda combines the two!

Faresalsal

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL / 2012 Mustang Boss302 / 1998 Cherokee Sport
If you feel you're not gonna use the lockers bigger axles of the rubicon then there is no need to go for the rubicon.
a sahara altitude is the better choice, and you always upgrade to bigger axles and add lockers if you wanted to go crazy on it.

Sponsored

Gangplank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys 4dr
Build Thread
Link
Unfortunately the new Willy’s is essentially just an appearance package... so it’s really just a Sport and nothing really Rubicon about it, except for maybe that body mounted rail..
Except it isn’t. Willy’s” quick order package 24W Includes:
  • 3.6 w/ 8 spd auto.
  • Rubicon shocks, springs
  • HD brakes,
  • 32” mud terrain tires
  • Anti-spin diff rear axel,
  • LED lights/fogs,
  • Tinted window,
  • Power windows/mirrors/locks,
  • Remote keyless entry,
  • Alarm,
  • Rock rails
  • All weather mats
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ca...mp28899371/2020-jeep-wrangler-willys-edition/

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Find a Moab as you won’t be happy with a Sahara as they don’t capture a lot of the Jeep vibe in my personal opinion. I did not enjoy my time with a Sahara. It’s a confused model trying to be a mainstream SUV which a Jeep does very poorly.

M0ondogy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Find a Moab as you won’t be happy with a Sahara as they don’t capture a lot of the Jeep vibe in my personal opinion. I did not enjoy my time with a Sahara. It’s a confused model trying to be a mainstream SUV which a Jeep does very poorly.
The Moab is literally a Sahara with a styling package. Look around the forum and you'll find people who have made a Moab from their Sahara. I'm building mine into one now. The hardest part is the hood, but I don't need any fake hood vents. Definitely not for the 1000+ dollars it cost.

It doesn't have the "main features" of the Rubicon like lockers or the 4wd system. For those that want the AWD of the Sahara, it's a great choice.

The real question is do you want lockers? That's the only reason I may upgrade before the JL is replaced by the next Wrangler.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Except it isn’t. Willy’s” quick order package 24W Includes:
  • 3.6 w/ 8 spd auto.
  • Rubicon shocks, springs
  • HD brakes,
  • 32” mud terrain tires
  • Anti-spin diff rear axel,
  • LED lights/fogs,
  • Tinted window,
  • Power windows/mirrors/locks,
  • Remote keyless entry,
  • Alarm,
  • Rock rails
  • All weather mats
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ca...mp28899371/2020-jeep-wrangler-willys-edition/
Ok you've got me, Shocks and brakes, everything else is an appearance package.
Sponsored