Sponsored

Rubicon on the Rubicon

Queso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 1987 VW Westfalia, 1971 VW Single Cab
Occupation
Psychologist
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Jeepers. I’m planning to buy a 2021 Rubicon in the next couple of months in time to do some mods so it’s just the way I want it in time for the Jeep Jamboree Rubicon Trail in August.

My plan is to drive it off the lot to MetalCloak for a 2.5 or 3.5” lift, 35s & a winch. I’m posting to ask suggestions particularly about the skid plate requirement listed on the Jeep Jamboree website, “Skid plates covering the gas tank, transfer case and rocker panels.” Doesn’t a 2021 Rubi come with skid plates? If so, are they strong enough or should I upgrade? If not, any suggestions?

Most of the playtime will be monthly camping/BLM/fire roads, with 2-3 organized trips per year in NorCal and possibly Washington, Utah, Colorado in the next few years. Not really going to be a rock crawler, but do feel the need to do the Rubicon at least once because we live close by and, well, because, Rubicon.
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Ran the Rubicon last summer. We had a stock JLUR with 35s in our group that did the whole trail. It had to be winched twice. The stock skids are fine, the stock rock rails are fine. If you are include to add skids, I would do the diff skids first as that is what is most likely to get hit.....

If you are lifted, know how to drive and how to use the Jeep to its potential, and have a decent spotter, you will be able to do the Rubicon and only have to stack rocks occasionally.

All four of us did the trail and did not get any body damage. There were two JLURs that had the stock rock rails and the stock rock rails did great. Just know when you get done to crawl under your Jeep with a can of black spray paint and touch up the factory skid plates and frame, and what ever else that the paint was scraped off of.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Watch the many youtube videos of Wranglers on the Con. You will get a understanding of why armor and rock crawling go together.

BTW, JLUR's bang and skid on rocks more than JLR 2drs.
Sponsored

Last edited: