Rubicon on Sport + 1.25”???

PhilD

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
2018 JL Sport. Adding Rubicon shocks and springs for an easy 1” lift and better overall suspension. Question is this: I’m also adding Zone 1.25” body lift kit at the same time. Will the new (Rubicon take-off) lower control arms suffice? Do I need different LCA’s for the 1.25” body lift?
I’ve tried to find the answer to this, but am finding different opinions.
Many thanks in advance to all the experts here.
-Phil
Sponsored

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
A body lift just raises the body over the frame and has no impact on the suspension.
Just an FYI that the stock rubicon lower control arms are the same length as the stock sport/Sahara LCAs. The Mopar 2” lift LCAs are longer though.

Good luck

Quest

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
Swapped Unlimited Rubicon take-off springs/shocks into my Unlimited Sport. My Sport came with 3.6, auto trans, tow package, hard top and plastic bumpers. It is all original except the aluminum front bumper (this weighs about the same as the factory plastic bumper).

I took accurate measurements pre/post installation. This conversion gave me 2” of lift in the front and 1.5” of lift in the rear. After lots of reading on the subject it seemed that each increase/decrease in the factory spring number would provide about .5” of change in height. Higher number equals taller spring. This held true for my installation. Original spring and rubi spring numbers are below. NOTE: Adding 80 pounds of winch will drop the front about 1/8 of an inch with the springs/shocks I used.

The only components I changed were the springs and shocks. Again, after lots of reading the control arms and sway bar links are the same across the Sport, Sahara and Rubicon models unless there has been some additional lifting. Edit: I ended up installing the longer mopar lca’s, this improved the steering.

The road test…I really liked the original springs/shocks better on the road and I like the Rubi springs/shocks better off road. Originals were more responsive on the road and felt sporty. Off road the original spring/shocks beat you up, making 2 hours of deer scouting feel like a whole day in my stock Silverado Z71. With the Rubi shocks/springs road driving is softer and not as fun. Off road Rubi shocks/springs are great and much more forgiving. Unless I stop hunting/fishing/exploring I will be keeping the Rubi parts as they good compromise for my usage…daily driver and off road dozens of times each year.

Original springs:

· Front springs

o Passenger: 3658AC

o Driver 3657AC

· Rear Springs

o Passenger: 3589AA

o Driver: 3588AA

Rubicon springs:

· Front springs

o 3661AC 61-57=+4
3662AC 62-58=+4

· Rear springs