Sponsored

Rubicon now requires upgraded wheels?

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I also think that it is ridiculous for the Rubicon standard wheels and the optional black wheels to be $995 difference in price. They probably cost essentially the same to Jeep.
That's what I've been thinking! From what I can tell there's absolutely nothing special about the $995 upgrade other than looking different. They're made out of the same material the same way. So wtf?
Sponsored

MY2020JLUR

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ S & 2020 JLU R
Yeah, I think they are definitely trying to clear out overstock. But, the reason for the overstock is because they are way over priced. I sliiiightly prefer the look of the “upgrade” wheels, but would not pay that much for them. If they were to say be 8.5 or 9 inch wheels I would pay the premium all day, and not buy aftermarket wheels, but I really can’t justify paying a 1k premium on a wheel which at best is a styling preference for some and I’m just going to sell anyway. It’s not like I’ll make that money back when I sell them. And then they shove it down your throat as a requirement. I really don’t like that I have to pay for their miscalculation. Either it’s an arbitrary price increase, or they are out of stock of the standard wheels. Really bummed. I have been waiting and saving for months to have enough cash to not take out a loan and I was ready to place my order on Aug 1. But, they aren’t getting my money at the moment. I guess I’ll join the waiting list to order when I can get the standard wheels or the “upgraded” wheels at no cost.
Me too. I got the money ready. So by Monday if the standard wheels still not available I’m just going wait as well.

MY2020JLUR

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ S & 2020 JLU R
According to the Jeep 2020 Customer Reference Code Guide that was posted somewhere on this forum, these are the standard tires for 2020 Wranglers:
Sport - 245/75R17 ALL SEASON TIRES (TQJ)
Sahara - 255/70R18 ALL SEASON TIRES (TDA)
Rubicon - LT285/70R17C BSW OFF-ROAD TIRES (TXA)

LT285/70R17C BSW M/T and LT285/70R17C OWL OFF-ROAD TIRES are no charge options for all.
I don’t know about the Sport and the Sahara. But for the Rubicon, what you said is exactly like the 2019MY.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Those rims are nice, but by no means are worth the $995 upgrade. Even on a Sport or Sahara they aren't worth $995, but especially not on the Rubi which has really nice stock wheels. Little upgrades like this should cost a couple of $100s at the most. My aftermarket rims which could hold bigger tires and look really nice cost $750. How could they justify charging $995 for these?

berlin58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon, Honda Odyssey, Saturn Vue
Occupation
Software Engineer
I was told that 2020 Rubicon standard tires now is 255/75/17 BSW AT. No charge options tires are 285/70/17 BSW MT and 285/70/17 OWL AT.
This is incorrect. My 2020 JLUR was just built last week. Here is a shot from my factory build sheet.

Sorry to everyone who wants the standard wheels...that is some major bs

Screenshot_20190805-114626.jpg

Sponsored

heytheresrich

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Occupation
Medical Officer
Anyone have any luck ordering today without the mandatory wheel upgrade?

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
This would seriously chap my hide if I were trying to order a Rubicon. If it were me I'd say 'fine I'll take the wheels but give me the equivalent off in discount so I'm not paying for them'. They look pretty good but I personally prefer the standard Rubicon wheels. Very puzzling move by Jeep... you would think that if they WERE trying to move excess inventory they would offer incentives since (as others have posted) they probably cost Jeep almost the same for either wheel.

If I REALLY wanted the Jeep and had to take the upgraded wheels... can't say if I'd change my mind over this but still pretty wonky on Jeep's part.

Good luck to those who are trying to order in getting resolved amicably!

OP
OP

beachbum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S
This is incorrect. My 2020 JLUR was just built last week. Here is a shot from my factory build sheet.

Yeah I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from. Line 2, Page 18 of the 2020 build sheet specifically states that the standard tire is your 285/17R17 BSW Off Road.

Attachments

Potts44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
83 CJ7
probably have no availability of the stock wheels at this time. same thing happened with motors at the end of last year.

MY2020JLUR

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ S & 2020 JLU R

Thanks for the fact check.

Sponsored

PAFarmBoy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Military
Not sure what everyone is seeing on the build site. I ordered my Rubi in June. They stopped taking orders for JLs in May because of the JT production schedule. I was asked to build a 2019, but would receive a 2020 in Oct/Nov when it was complete. If any parades were available, I could choose to select it, but have heard nothing so far except that Rubi is scheduled to be built soon. I have been pricing these out since February and have not seen a price change and just tried to build one and was able to select standard wheels.

OP
OP

beachbum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S
Not sure what everyone is seeing on the build site. I ordered my Rubi in June. They stopped taking orders for JLs in May because of the JT production schedule. I was asked to build a 2019, but would receive a 2020 in Oct/Nov when it was complete. If any parades were available, I could choose to select it, but have heard nothing so far except that Rubi is scheduled to be built soon. I have been pricing these out since February and have not seen a price change and just tried to build one and was able to select standard wheels.
A few issues here:
1. You can't build a 2019 and receive a 2020. You might be building on the Jeep website which is showing the 2019's but your dealer would need to enter a 2020 order. If you gave your dealer a 2020 order in June, it should be there now or within the next few weeks, not Oct/Nov. You might want to check with your dealer on the status of your Jeep.

2. If your dealer ordered for you a 2020 prior to August 1, there is no problem getting standard wheels. If your dealer attempts to order your Jeep after August 1 and until they change the restriction in the dealer ordering system, you will not be able to get standard wheels. Your ability to build a 2019 Jeep on the Jeep website is unrelated to your dealer's ability to spec and order a 2020 through the dealer ordering system.

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
A few issues here:
1. You can't build a 2019 and receive a 2020. You might be building on the Jeep website which is showing the 2019's but your dealer would need to enter a 2020 order. If you gave your dealer a 2020 order in June, it should be there now or within the next few weeks, not Oct/Nov. You might want to check with your dealer on the status of your Jeep.

2. If your dealer ordered for you a 2020 prior to August 1, there is no problem getting standard wheels. If your dealer attempts to order your Jeep after August 1 and until they change the restriction in the dealer ordering system, you will not be able to get standard wheels. Your ability to build a 2019 Jeep on the Jeep website is unrelated to your dealer's ability to spec and order a 2020 through the dealer ordering system.
And building on the Jeep site isn't the same as placing an order at the dealer through their system.
This is such bs. I'd be pissed. If they have overstock and made people take them for free it would still be bs.

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Tiguan SE
Nope. Had to pay extra. Worst is that I like the stock wheels much better.
They “ can’t charge you for something you are not asking for...... especially when they are forcing you to purchase an upgrade you do not want!
Sponsored