Rubicon now requires upgraded wheels?

Eitel

First Name
Eitel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
I didn't order the upgraded wheels, and my build sheet doesn't mention them. I don't think sold orders without them will change.

And if it does they can take them out cuz I'm not paying for them.
Sponsored

heytheresrich

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Occupation
Medical Officer
Just spoke with Leon at Criswell and he also confirmed starting August 1, the configurator is requiring rubicon purchases to require the $995 upgraded wheels. This is a potential deal breaker since I liked the original wheels and Jeep is charging $1k more for wheels that I do not want.

foxswimmer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '04 Mazda3, '13 Sienna (because kids)
Just spoke with Leon at Criswell and he also confirmed starting August 1, the configurator is requiring rubicon purchases to require the $995 upgraded wheels. This is a potential deal breaker since I liked the original wheels and Jeep is charging $1k more for wheels that I do not want.
That is unfortunate. Dumb luck for me that after months on the fence, I decided to make my JLUR order through Criswell on 7/30 and wasn’t forced into the wheel upgrade.

What did push me finally into the order was the chatter around the order problems with the V6 and auto pairing. I did not want the 2.0 and even though I have driving manual for over 25 years, after a few test drives I was sold on the auto.

Udi

First Name
Udi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR 2.0L, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk
I ordered my new Rubi on 8/1 and I had to buy it with the wheel upgrade. Lucky for me, the dealer felt so bad about that, they offered to split the cost of this upgrade with me. I was going to put in my order the day before but was delayed due to problems in the dealership. With regard to looks, I can live with both. Not very picky. Any wheel is going to look great with my new kick ass 2 dr Mojito! soft top Rubi...!

heytheresrich

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Occupation
Medical Officer
Watching this thread. If anyone has any luck getting information on Jeep possibly reverting this requirement, could you post an update here? Love to pull the trigger and finalize and enter the dreaming/enjoying process. Thanks.

Sponsored

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The same thing happened to me today. The salesman and I couldn't figure out why my numbers were different from his, then we noticed the wheel package. Does anyone know if this is permanent? I kind of think this is Jeep's way of deterring people from ordering a 2020 while so many 2019's are still on the lots.

MY2020JLUR

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ S & 2020 JLU R
I can confirm. My dealer is Criswell, they are one of the largest volume dealers for this forum and the manager verified it yesterday. Don't know when/if it will change back. By the time you order in 10 days it might not require the update anymore but there's no way to know.
I too dealt with Criswell yesterday. I’m planning to place an order on Monday. I hope the stock wheels is back. I don’t want to pay for the option wheels which I don’t even like.

9F89FA59-2814-4F78-A41A-DE1E282F6E95.jpeg

@minutemen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '20 JLUR
I too dealt with Criswell yesterday. I’m planning to place an order on Monday. I hope the stock wheels is back. I don’t want to pay for the option wheels which I don’t even like.

9F89FA59-2814-4F78-A41A-DE1E282F6E95.jpeg
I noticed you specified M/T tires. Any idea what tires come standard if I didn't include TWG in my Rubicon build?

Sponsored

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
Toyota just announced 4runner pricing increase. About $3k on the TRD Pro. This could be Jeeps way of increasing the cost while maintaining announced msrp.

gwl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I think that someone overestimated the demand for black wheels and they have been accumulating for two years now. So the boss said let's get this supply cut down some by making everyone order them.

I also think that it is ridiculous for the Rubicon standard wheels and the optional black wheels to be $995 difference in price. They probably cost essentially the same to Jeep. The assembly person either picks up the standard ones from a pile or the optional ones from a pile the the work to get either one on is the same. So if the manufacturing cost and hence purchase cost to Jeep are about the same and the installation cost is about the same then why aren't the black ones a no-cost option like the tire choices are?

InvictusManeo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
Yeah, I think they are definitely trying to clear out overstock. But, the reason for the overstock is because they are way over priced. I sliiiightly prefer the look of the “upgrade” wheels, but would not pay that much for them. If they were to say be 8.5 or 9 inch wheels I would pay the premium all day, and not buy aftermarket wheels, but I really can’t justify paying a 1k premium on a wheel which at best is a styling preference for some and I’m just going to sell anyway. It’s not like I’ll make that money back when I sell them. And then they shove it down your throat as a requirement. I really don’t like that I have to pay for their miscalculation. Either it’s an arbitrary price increase, or they are out of stock of the standard wheels. Really bummed. I have been waiting and saving for months to have enough cash to not take out a loan and I was ready to place my order on Aug 1. But, they aren’t getting my money at the moment. I guess I’ll join the waiting list to order when I can get the standard wheels or the “upgraded” wheels at no cost.

Udi

First Name
Udi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR 2.0L, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk
I was told that 2020 Rubicon standard tires now is 255/75/17 BSW AT. No charge options tires are 285/70/17 BSW MT and 285/70/17 OWL AT.
According to the Jeep 2020 Customer Reference Code Guide that was posted somewhere on this forum, these are the standard tires for 2020 Wranglers:
Sport - 245/75R17 ALL SEASON TIRES (TQJ)
Sahara - 255/70R18 ALL SEASON TIRES (TDA)
Rubicon - LT285/70R17C BSW OFF-ROAD TIRES (TXA)

LT285/70R17C BSW M/T and LT285/70R17C OWL OFF-ROAD TIRES are no charge options for all.
Sponsored