Rubicon - No Lift - 35s (or equivalent) - Need HELP

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
If you run the STOCK rims you can run up to a 35” tires with no issues as these are what the JLUR was designed to work with from the factory. If you run any other rims it’s a crap shoot. Seems this keeps getting lost in translation and folks are just hearing the “Rubicons can run 35s” and glazing over the stock factory rim part.

I run the stock rims and “35s” on my JLUR with no lift, at full flex while at full wheel lock turning left or right and have NO RUBBING.

Here are a few basic photos form last week though not at full flex you can clearly see the front tire neatly tucked inside the fender well and not rubbing the outer fender edge.
485A8CD9-6EE2-45F1-8773-F2C633F870EB.jpeg
6BF2D942-12B9-4B6B-8C16-6849F7DC5E69.jpeg
If you run the STOCK rims you can run up to a 35” tires with no issues as these are what the JLUR was designed to work with from the factory. If you run any other rims it’s a crap shoot. Seems this keeps getting lost in translation and folks are just hearing the “Rubicons can run 35s” and glazing over the stock factory rim part.

I run the stock rims and “35s” on my JLUR with no lift, at full flex while at full wheel lock turning left or right and have NO RUBBING.

Here are a few basic photos form last week though not at full flex you can clearly see the front tire neatly tucked inside the fender well and not rubbing the outer fender edge.
I guess you are right if the vehicle is 100% stock. I don’t think that’s true if you have a steel bumper and winch. My JLUR dropped 3/4” on the front when I swapped the plastic bumper (37 pounds) vs the striker bumper and winch (190 pounds) for a net gain of around 153 pounds. However, your information is very helpful when deciding to get a lift or not with 35s.
Sponsored

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
I guess you are right if the vehicle is 100% stock. I don’t think that’s true if you have a steel bumper and winch. My JLUR dropped 3/4” on the front when I swapped the plastic bumper (37 pounds) vs the striker bumper and winch (190 pounds) for a net gain of around 153 pounds. However, your information is very helpful when deciding to get a lift or not with 35s.
Well of course with that much weight the front end loads are going to change both static and dynamic. Everything about the “running 35s from the factory capabilities” is based on a stock Jeep Rubicon with factory parts. I too recently replaced my plastic bumper with a steel Rubicon style stubby bumper and winch plate. I saw a 1/8” front end drop. This still did not effect performance and I have no rubbing. When I add a winch this winter I will see some more loss in height. At which point there should be some light rubbing on the inner fender well plastic at full up flex. This though is not a concern as the fender well has a bit of play in it and any contact will be at very low speeds >2mph and the possibilities of damage extremely low.

IMO 35s” really only offer a few improvements over the JL/U Rubicon stock tires. They look “beefier”, fill the wheel well up and add ~1” more ground clearance. But heck that is enough for many of us to want them!

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
What he was getting at, is that the current generation of Rubicons come with the newer wide 44's. Previous Rubicons had the non wide designated 44's, so the top of the same 35" tire was quicker to contact the underbits when stuffed.

Your lowered ride height from the added weight won't change that so much. You just lost a bit of potential up travel before hitting your bump stops.

Reactions: VNT

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
Well of course with that much weight the front end loads are going to change both static and dynamic. Everything about the “running 35s from the factory capabilities” is based on a stock Jeep Rubicon with factory parts. I too recently replaced my plastic bumper with a steel Rubicon style stubby bumper and winch plate. I saw a 1/8” front end drop. This still did not effect performance and I have no rubbing. When I add a winch this winter I will see some more loss in height. At which point there should be some light rubbing on the inner fender well plastic at full up flex. This though is not a concern as the fender well has a bit of play in it and any contact will be at very low speeds >2mph and the possibilities of damage extremely low.

IMO 35s” really only offer a few improvements over the JL/U Rubicon stock tires. They look “beefier”, fill the wheel well up and add ~1” more ground clearance. But heck that is enough for many of us to want them!
Thanks for that info update. I am planning on getting 35s and no lift but with the mix answers is a bit hard to decide. It will be great if you can update with photos of flex after the winch.

johngalt312

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5; Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

What tires are those? Looking to do the same thing with 2021 JLUR just ordered. No lift, no spacers, no fender mods...just larger tires on the stock wheels.

Still no issues, correct?

About to order these:
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon - No Lift - 35s (or equivalent) - Need HELP {filename}
ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2 - SIZE: LT315/70R17

Thanks

Last edited:

Sponsored

supamyk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xE
I have 5 brand of those ko2 tires never mounted. I’m in New York. I drive all over the island enter and could easily meet up with you.

Keating

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 392
I am running 315-70-17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my 2020 Willy's using stock 17x9 wheels. With the 0 offset they hit slightly on full turn. I used Teraflex 1.75" spacers and all is good. They have a great stance sticking out a little now. I rubbed once doing slight off-roading but honestly, thought it would more. But still planning on a 2.5" lift this year. Those Nitto ATs are awesome riding tires.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon - No Lift - 35s (or equivalent) - Need HELP 1621489830324
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon - No Lift - 35s (or equivalent) - Need HELP 1621489830324
12.5" wide tire? What brand?
Thanks!

Sponsored

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Regarding weight, if you are hitting the bump stops it doesn't matter how much weight is on the front. Fsstanks looks to be on the stops so it would not matter if you put 500 pounds more on it.

Sam

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
12.5" wide tire? What brand?
Thanks!
Yes 12.5. The tires are 315s (metric 35) BFG KO2. Mine are the FO = Ford Raptor factory replacement tire, “C” load rating. The factory Rubicon BFG KO2s are also “C” load range.

i have another Rubicon on order and that one will be getting a set of the new MickeyThompson (Cooper) Baja Boss AT tires in 35x12.5x17. I ran the older ATZ P3 on my JK and liked them better then the BFG KO2s. So the new Boss AT should be even better given MickeyThompsons quality and proven history.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Yes 12.5. The tires are 315s (metric 35) BFG KO2. Mine are the FO = Ford Raptor factory replacement tire, “C” load rating. The factory Rubicon BFG KO2s are also “C” load range.

i have another Rubicon on order and that one will be getting a set of the new MickeyThompson (Cooper) Baja Boss AT tires in 35x12.5x17. I ran the older ATZ P3 on my JK and liked them better then the BFG KO2s. So the new Boss AT should be even better given MickeyThompsons quality and proven history.
Thank you, exactly what I needed to hear/read. :)

johngalt312

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5; Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have 5 brand of those ko2 tires never mounted. I’m in New York. I drive all over the island enter and could easily meet up with you.
Thanks, but I am in IL
Sponsored