Rubicon lockers - worth it for snow?

RTW Colorado

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
Hi Guys and Gals, I bought one of the very first JKU Rubicons in 2007, ordered it, went through all the status stuff - VON, VIN angst and loved that window sticker with my name on it. I wanted those front and rear lockers to get me up my mountain road in deep snow. I was disappointed to learn they only worked in 4LO, up to something like 15 mph. My road (a mile long) has one section with a 20% grade. I need to barrel up that hill as fast as I can to keep the momentum up to get up it in snow, creeping up just does not work. I am lusting after a new JLU Rubicon (who isn't) but am wondering if the locker problem will still exist for me. Any chance they will work in 4HI? Any guidance appreciated. I sold that Jeep and downgraded to my current model - which now has 180,000 miles on it with NO issues BTW..
Sponsored

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr JL Rubicon, 2016 Corvette Z06
OP
OP
RTW Colorado

RTW Colorado

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
Same restriction on JL's. There were mods/workarounds for the JK that would allow lockers in 4h and likely someone will find a way to do the same with a JL. I did the following google search, and based on the results, I wouldn't do it even if it was possible.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=jk+w...ome..69i57.13237j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Thanks warc1, I never would have guessed guys were trying to mod their Jeeps to get around this. Holy cow that doesn't bode well. SO next logical question - if I buy a JL other than a a Rubicon will aftermarket lockers work the same way?

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Hi Guys and Gals, I bought one of the very first JKU Rubicons in 2007, ordered it, went through all the status stuff - VON, VIN angst and loved that window sticker with my name on it. I wanted those front and rear lockers to get me up my mountain road in deep snow. I was disappointed to learn they only worked in 4LO, up to something like 15 mph. My road (a mile long) has one section with a 20% grade. I need to barrel up that hill as fast as I can to keep the momentum up to get up it in snow, creeping up just does not work. I am lusting after a new JLU Rubicon (who isn't) but am wondering if the locker problem will still exist for me. Any chance they will work in 4HI? Any guidance appreciated. I sold that Jeep and downgraded to my current model - which now has 180,000 miles on it with NO issues BTW..
They still only work in 4 low.

Maybe the Sahara's LSD option is a better fit for you?

Nate

First Name
Mr. A-hole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Grand Cherokee, 2018 Road King, 1996 Bronco
Occupation
Machinist, Gunsmith and Dumbass Whisperer
You must be in 4Lo and under 10MPH to engage so depending on how fast you need to go they may be able to do what you need.... they disengage automatically at 30MPH.

Owners manual for reference

3283DB1F-AA09-4A44-B854-1E5CD02C08FE.jpeg

Sponsored

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
You wouldnā€™t want to run lockers in the snow. It would be seriously unstable trying to keep it straight. Letā€™s just say, in a past Rubicon, I drove from Denver CO to Amarillo TX in winter conditions (snow and Ice), and did not once think to myself that it had a hard time maintaining a sure foot, though I did keep it under 30 in the icy spots. Bottom line, 4x4 in general is going to do rather well in the snow. Not losing much in a Rubicon vs Sahara in that regard

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Lockers in snow will cause the Jeep to crab sideways. I have a Trail dash 2 in my JK and it allows you to enable lockers in 4 hi. In snow and mud they make it impossible to steer

OP
OP
RTW Colorado

RTW Colorado

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
You must be in 4Lo and under 10MPH to engage so depending on how fast you need to go they may be able to do what you need.... they disengage automatically at 30MPH.

well I dont want to go that fast - maybe 15 - 20 mph but want higher gearing at those speeds in 4LO I would be hitting the redline!

OP
OP
RTW Colorado

RTW Colorado

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
Lockers in snow will cause the Jeep to crab sideways. I have a Trail dash 2 in my JK and it allows you to enable lockers in 4 hi. In snow and mud they make it impossible to steer
Whats a Trail dash? I want to be able to get up a steep 200 yard hill not use on the highway

OP
OP
RTW Colorado

RTW Colorado

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
You wouldnā€™t want to run lockers in the snow. It would be seriously unstable trying to keep it straight. Letā€™s just say, in a past Rubicon, I drove from Denver CO to Amarillo TX in winter conditions (snow and Ice), and did not once think to myself that it had a hard time maintaining a sure foot, though I did keep it under 30 in the icy spots. Bottom line, 4x4 in general is going to do rather well in the snow. Not losing much in a Rubicon vs Sahara in that regard
yeah not for highway use - just want to go 15 - 20mph without redlining

Sponsored

OP
OP
RTW Colorado

RTW Colorado

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara

can you go 30mph in 4LO without blowing the engine?

KeithM

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 06 Duramax, e39 Touring
Occupation
Software
Wouldn't the BLD system, which I think is on all JLs, be just as good/better in this situation? I don't have any experience with it...

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
The traction control seriously works really well on ice and snow with these new vehicles. Stick it in 4 hi and you're not going to lose traction unless there just isn't any traction at all, in which case you're stuck anyhow. I once parked my recent model front wheel drive Chrysler minivan on an incline slope, stepped out, and almost slipped on my rear. Yeppers, the parking lot was all black ice. I figured I was stuck there until it thawed. Nope, when I got back out of the store, it backed out of that parking space just fine, the traction control light doing an occasional flicker and an occasional "grrr!" from the brake controller all that was telling me that I wasn't parked on dry ground.

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr JL Rubicon, 2016 Corvette Z06
Whats a Trail dash? I want to be able to get up a steep 200 yard hill not use on the highway
It's here: https://superchips.com/shop/jeep-traildash2

Unfortunately, you don't seem to be listening to what experienced people are trying to tell you. Lockers are not intended to work in your application, particularly at speed. I have used mine in snow when I was stuck, but only to move 5m from a stopped condition in a straight line to get unstuck. It worked, but the vehicle moved sideways in the process and could of easily continued into the ditch.

You're wanting to drive 200m in deep snow conditions on a steep grade at speed. I guarantee that an axle locked vehicle will be near uncontrollable in that situation. In a straight line, with all four wheels spinning, you will start to move sideways - i.e. crab walk. If you try to steer back, it generally won't. Since the front wheels are spinning at the exact same speed, they will pull your forward even though you've applied steering angle. I know - I've done it.

I'm not an expert on lockers, but I've done it enough to confirm that the risks others are telling you are real and serious.

Pipebndr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1943 Ford GPW 2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Automotive business owner, ASE Master Tech
I owned a 2000 TJ with lockers and lived in the snow country. Heed to the warning of using lockers in the snow. They are great to get unstuck, especially if all four are chained. Anything above5-10 MPH is living dangerously. ā€˜ā€˜This is the main reason I ordered a JLUR with traction control, works much better on snow and ice. Just think of it as driving a bulldozer at high speeds, you are in for a wild ride.
Sponsored