Rubicon Lift on JL?

JAC34

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Rookie Jeep owner of a 2018 JLU Sahara. I know there are a million threads on lifts, but I'm specifically wondering if you could use a Rubi suspension take off on a JLU Sahara and get the 35" tires on it? I don't want a huge lift as I'm doing this more for the look than the off-roading capabilities.

I know there are better lift options but I'm trying to keep my cost down for lift, new wheels/tires. Most of the Jeep mod shops are charging around 7-8k for a new set up and many people sell their old Rubi set up for new lifts and wondering if I can get one on the cheap?

Any downside to this approach if it's even possible?
Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Rookie Jeep owner of a 2018 JLU Sahara. I know there are a million threads on lifts, but I'm specifically wondering if you could use a Rubi suspension take off on a JLU Sahara and get the 35" tires on it? I don't want a huge lift as I'm doing this more for the look than the off-roading capabilities.

I know there are better lift options but I'm trying to keep my cost down for lift, new wheels/tires. Most of the Jeep mod shops are charging around 7-8k for a new set up and many people sell their old Rubi set up for new lifts and wondering if I can get one on the cheap?

It believe it will work, but I think you need to get the Highline fenders as well or change to a flat fender to avoid rub when flexed

Hotchyy

First Name
Romeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU
Occupation
Parks & Rec
It believe it will work, but I think you need to get the Highline fenders as well or change to a flat fender to avoid rub when flexed
Yep, I’d say just get a terraflex spacer lift and install it when you put the takeoffs on.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

Good thread to read through 👍🏻

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/teraflex-1-5-inch-spacer-kit-with-a-sahara.58586/

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I put Rubi suspension and Rubi tires on my JLU Sport. I got 1.5" lift in front and 2" lift in back. This somewhat depends on what version of Rubi you get the springs from. I think 35s would work just fine on mine, basically 1" greater radius than Rubi tires so 1" less clearance in the fenders and I seem to have plenty of clearance. I know I've been fully flexed, as flexed as you can be without disconnecting the front swaybar because I had one tire off the ground. But I didn't have time to walk around and check clearances.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I had a Rubicon takeoff lift with an extra 0.75" spacer up front, and I probably could have wheeled on 35s with that setup. I definitely could have crawled the mall on that setup.

OP
OP
JAC34

JAC34

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Thanks all for the info. I ended up getting an AEV 2.5" lift.

Now for the wheels/tires. I don't want the tires sticking way out but I'm going with a 35" tire so what backspace should I use on the wheel to avoid the stick out issue?? And why is there 8.5" and 9" rims and how will that change stick out?
Sponsored