Sponsored

RUBICON Lift Less than 2 inches - options without going spacers ?

wheels082

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2010 JKU, 1994 XJ
That is what I was thinking. Those wheels look like they have a lot of backspacing.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rubi VT

Rubi VT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
i dont seem to have a picture with it flexed but looking at this i have a difficult time imagining the tire and the reservoir coming into contact. my wheels are Icon Rebound with KO2 17x12.5x35 -6 offset. they stick out about 1.5 inches from the wheel well.

Jeep Wrangler JL RUBICON Lift Less than 2 inches - options without going spacers ? 20200506_182416

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I have not had any issues. my first question with that pic is what wheels are those and what is the OFFSET ?
Pretty sure that was with a Stock rubicon wheel and a spacer, it was on another thread, I will try to go back and look.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
i dont seem to have a picture with it flexed but looking at this i have a difficult time imagining the tire and the reservoir coming into contact. my wheels are Icon Rebound with KO2 17x12.5x35 -6 offset. they stick out about 1.5 inches from the wheel well.

Jeep Wrangler JL RUBICON Lift Less than 2 inches - options without going spacers ? 20200506_182416

I don't understand the whole 2'' of up travel thing.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I have not had any issues. my first question with that pic is what wheels are those and what is the OFFSET ?
Those are factory wheels. There is no clearance issues. This is with 37s and no spacers. I adjusted the steering stops out a few turns.

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Pretty sure that was with a Stock rubicon wheel and a spacer, it was on another thread, I will try to go back and look.
If you’re talking about this one, it’s the stock rubicon wheel and no spacers. Turned lock to lock.

Jeep Wrangler JL RUBICON Lift Less than 2 inches - options without going spacers ? C9D1A324-412B-4049-9997-2284050D49F2

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JLUR
@Rubi VT , you've got me interested in the Rusty's springs. I called them, and they say they are progressive, but they don't quote any rate range. But then I noticed you had a rate for them. How did you get it? Your rate looks like it would be an initial rate, and the spring would get stiffer as it compresses. Does it feel that way? Also, their pictures aren't very good, so I can't tell if the spring looks like it's progressive. I think the only ways to make a progressive spring are to vary the wire diameter, or vary the gap between coils, and the latter is more likely. Do yours look progressive?

I really only want 2" of lift, otherwise I wouldn't bother you with all the questions. I know I will end up carrying 400-600 lbs extra weight, and the other 2" options are all softer than stock.

Thanks

OP
OP
Rubi VT

Rubi VT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So all of this took place 6 or 8 months ago but i went back and found my notes. I called about 10 different companies that make lift / springs. Some were a lot more forthcoming about info than others. Also found you often had to call a couple times and even ask the "sales" guy if you can talk to an engineer. Rusty's was great customer service and I remember talking to one of the engineers who worked on the JL project. Sadly I did not write down his name but im pretty confident the numbers came from them. I did not specifically ask if those were initial rates or not - sorry.

I will say this - AFTER ALL THIS - there is so little difference b/t 2 inch springs and 2.5 inch springs. I would focus on the stiffer springs given your going to be adding 400 to 600 lbs of additional weight. Also I do most of my wheeling local and i am rarely packing much extra weight. In fact i run pretty lean and rarely even have a passenger. Im usually with my buddy who has a gladiator. So i cant give you a good idea if this is a good fit or not.

any other questions let me know.. Good Luck.

stevieb92

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0t
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I'll add my $.02 about the Rusty's springs. I was considering the Synergy 2 inch springs but went with Rusty's. Also added Falcon 3.3 SP2 shocks. I have a few hundred miles on my JLUR now with the new setup and I'm completey happy. The ride quality feels to be really close to stock. I'm not planning any significant weight like an overlanding rig, but the Rusty's springs worked out great for me.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JLUR
@stevieb92 and @Rubi VT , thanks for your feedback. My jeep will shortly have a pop-up camper on it, so appx 170lbs extra on the roof year round. I was aiming to keep cg as low as possible, thus 2" springs. But most 2" springs are going to be too soft for the weight I have in mind. I can't find anyone w Rusty's 2" running a heavier load. I've called there twice, and each time the woman on the phone asks somebody, and I get a different answer. I will probably go with Clayton's overland plus kit. Their 2.5" springs actually lift 3" lightly loaded, and I haven't seen anyone with their kit giving a heavily loaded measurement. But their springs are rated much higher than most.

And since I will probably go with 2.5" springs, maybe I'll go with 37's. Undecided. I like to overthink these things for a few weeks before deciding. Thanks for answering my questions.

Sponsored

Lapis

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue
@stevieb92 and @Rubi VT , thanks for your feedback. My jeep will shortly have a pop-up camper on it, so appx 170lbs extra on the roof year round. I was aiming to keep cg as low as possible, thus 2" springs. But most 2" springs are going to be too soft for the weight I have in mind. I can't find anyone w Rusty's 2" running a heavier load. I've called there twice, and each time the woman on the phone asks somebody, and I get a different answer. I will probably go with Clayton's overland plus kit. Their 2.5" springs actually lift 3" lightly loaded, and I haven't seen anyone with their kit giving a heavily loaded measurement. But their springs are rated much higher than most.

And since I will probably go with 2.5" springs, maybe I'll go with 37's. Undecided. I like to overthink these things for a few weeks before deciding. Thanks for answering my questions.
Rusty Megois (founder of Rusty's Off Road) is pretty active on facebook, If you're on there he'd probably be happy to answer questions

Tennjeeper

First Name
Delson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 2 door.
Vehicle Showcase
Been all over this and other forums. Yes little pieces of this discussion exist but I felt a need to consolidate and hopefully clarify this issue. I KNOW I am not the only Rubi (4 dr) owner on 35's that wants a little more lift without going to a 2.5 inch or taller lift.

What I want really is to
#1 - get the 1 inch or 1.5 inches back that I lost from putting the 35's on (gained an Inch of ground clearance i know but lost an inch in between top of tire and fender). Compensate for the steel bumpers plus winch plate and winch.

#2 - improve ride quality - I'd love a Slightly stiffer spring (10 to 15% maybe) for better road manners and a more capable shock for driving on the rutted, wash-board, pot holed back roads of Vermont. Am I interested in serious trail use? - Sure but my jeep use is 45% Paved roads / 40% dirt and gravel roads and hopefully 15% trail use.

#3 - I dont mind spending the money of what a quality 2.5" lift would cost - nothings free right? Just want to explore the options and hopefully do this the right way.

Options I have considered that are still on the table.

1- buy a quality shock (front and rear) designed for 0-1.5" lift (Fox, Falcon, ??) and settle for a 1 or 1.5 inch spacer lift. An obvious compromise to my goals.

2 - buy a quality shock (front and rear) designed for 0-1.5" lift and swap out the springs. AHH. ok so - companies I found that make a 1" spring designed for a loaded RUBI (4dr) are Eibach, Synergy, RK, ??

3 - buy a quality 2.5 inch lift for a 2 DOOR and pray that it sits an inch lower and gives me what I want.

4 - WAIT until a true 1.5 inch lift package gets released for a JLUR. this is my current status !!!

Also i know all these options will also require other parts - LCA's (correct the caster), new bump stops, what else ?

So I am hoping my JEEP brothers and sisters out that have some real world or hands on experience with this mix and match process.

thanks in advance..
I know where your coming from. The same thoughts crossed my mind. I really want to keep the center of gravity as low as possible. I am considering the rugged ridge fenders that look nearly the same except they eliminated the under liner. I think it give you back close to an inch of clearance. Might consider a small bump stop to prevent any rubbing. I like the stance your Jeep has. Thanks for sharing.

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
Can anyone with the Rusty’s 2” spring tell me how long the rear spring is when fully collapsed? Or exactly how thick the wire diameter is? And how many winds it has? I need a 2” rear spring that is no more then 4 3/4” when fully compressed.

If anyone has the extended and compressed lenghts for any of the other springs mentioned that would be very helpful information. Thanks!

2020JLURUBICON

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White JLU Rubicon
@Rubi VT how do you like your Rustys control arms? I think you convinced me to ditch the endurosport lift and go rustys 2” coils with the 2-3.5” lift Vertex shocks! More expensive but the shocks look way nicer and looks to net the same 2” lift height. On CA’s, I really wanted something with no maintenance like teraflex alpine IR, what are your thoughts on greasing the rustys, ride quality, clearance, etc.? Do you have the flex ends or all rubber bushings? Thanks!

OP
OP
Rubi VT

Rubi VT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have the rubber bushings on both the front and back LCAs. As far as i know there is no maintenance but please confirm. They are great. Jeep looks and rides great. Got my caster to right about 6.0 and have not touched them since.

Very please with Rustys and the Vertex shocks thou I think someone told me the cost has gone up. Also for what it's worth I was told from a reliable source that Radflow makes those Vertex adjustable shocks for Rough County. Pretty cool. Let me know how it goes for u..
Sponsored