Sponsored

RUBICON Lift Less than 2 inches - options without going spacers ?

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I don't understand why anyone would want stiffer springs when shock valving and bump compliance is the key.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rubi VT

Rubi VT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I don't understand why anyone would want stiffer springs when shock valving and bump compliance is the key.

Well if all jeeps weighed the exact same amount and carried the exact same amount of gear (winch plate / winch, jacks, air compressors, skid plates and recovery gear) and everyone liked the exact same ride then I guess maybe then all springs would be the same stiffness.

OH and by the way -

OEM 4dr Rubicon front / rear spring rates 125 / 174
Rough Country 2.5 inch frt/rear spring rates 130 / 171
MOPAR 2 inch lift front /rear spring rates 131 / 180
Rock Krawler 2.5 inch lift front /rear rates 137 / 175
Rock Krawler 3.5 inch lift front / rear rates 140 / 185
Clayton 2.5 inch lift front / rear rates 188 / 165 (not a typo - check their website)
Teraflex 2.5 inch lift front / rear rates 140 / 150
Old Man EMU 2.5 inch front / rear rates 135 / 175

everyone i listed the front spring is STIFFER than stock. these guys all have it wrong ?

PatrickR

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I might be interested in the eibach springs, I'm not planning on adding any real weight to my rig and I'm usually solo so lighter springs might make sense.

OP
OP
Rubi VT

Rubi VT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I might be interested in the eibach springs, I'm not planning on adding any real weight to my rig and I'm usually solo so lighter springs might make sense.
I sent you a PM...

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well if all jeeps weighed the exact same amount and carried the exact same amount of gear (winch plate / winch, jacks, air compressors, skid plates and recovery gear) and everyone liked the exact same ride then I guess maybe then all springs would be the same stiffness.

Clayton 2.5 inch lift front / rear rates 188 / 165 (not a typo - check their website)
Those Clayton's are insane.. you have point if adding a lot of weight to the jeep. I know many 'overlanders' do. I think it's more about the inherent design as well (linear/progressive) but you typically want to use the lightest spring (for your vehicle weight) and matched shocks for best performance. I hear so many unhappy with their shock/spring choice.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rubi VT

Rubi VT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I do hear ya. It's not easy to get the right match. It's why I was motivated to get an adjustable shock. Give myself a better chance of matching the spring and getting the ride I wanted.

For me it's not a daily driver and I enjoy the wrenching aspect of it. I treat it as a hobby and NOT A CHEAP ONE! HAHAAAA..

have fun out there...

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
oh yeah..money's being spent now. I'd love to have some Fox DSC's but keep rolling that idea around.. what I want vs. what I 'need' lol.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Will raising the Rubicon 1.5 to 2 inches be too much as far the caster angle?
The reason I am asking is I went from a Sport suspension to a Rubicon take-off and I noticed a difference which I am attributing to a decreased caster angle. I am even contemplating putting LCA relocaters on to fix this issue as I run stock LAC's.

From what I have read on this forum, The optimal angle is to be closer to 6 degrees and by lifting the vehicle, that angle decreases with not much room for adjustment if you don't have adjustable LCA's....

OP
OP
Rubi VT

Rubi VT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
In my opinion and my experience anything more than 1.5 inches of lift you are going to need longer LCAs to really dial in ur alignment and get that plus 6 caster number even thou factory spec starts at 5 u really want to be closer to 6. It really helps the jeep track straight on the pavement. Anything more than 1.5inches lift minimum front LCA. Anything 2.5 or higher then both front and rear. With the 2 inch springs I did do both front and rear.

wheels082

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2010 JKU, 1994 XJ
Rubi VT How much lift do you think you got with the Rusty's? Thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rubi VT

Rubi VT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Rubi VT How much lift do you think you got with the Rusty's? Thanks

I feel like its very close to 2 inches even. maybe 2 1/8 on the driver side and 1 7/8 on passenger (that was with a full tank of gas and with almost no miles on it - so im sure it will all settle out a bit. Anyone else would say exactly 2 inches but like to be precise ! ;)

WranglerUnlimited2018

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlur
Yall have alot of knowledge and I have a question. I have had a 2018 jlu on 2.5 Rough Country lift and now a 2020 Jlur on 2.5 Rubicon Express lift with Fox shock. The Rough Country had a nice firm and some times rougher ride but had a nice stable feel on the highway at 70-75, the RE I have now seems extremely loose and sways back and forth even after I have put adjustable lower control arms to adjust for caster. I have tried at least 6 different caster angles but still cannot get it to drive good on the road. The stock springs were alot stiffer than these RE ones. Would stiffer springs help like the rough country ones I had on my last Jeep or is it the shocks as well. Thanks for any advice yall have.

OP
OP
Rubi VT

Rubi VT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Fox makes a good and in many cases great product so I doubt the shocks are your issue. I have questions..
Do you know the RE spring rates?
What size tire and air pressure are you running?
Do have lots heavy gear on the jeep? Steel bumpers, winch that sort of thing.
Have you done any mods to the steering, steering stabilizer or track bar?

Happy to help..

WranglerUnlimited2018

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlur
I just double check and the Fox Shocks they sold.me at 4wp are the 2.0 IFP front and rear. The RE springs im having a hard time finding spring rates for but ill keep looking. We had the stock Rubicon rims and tires on but just put some 315 70 17s and kmc wheels on it, but it was having an issue before it really is about the same it was. The jeep has a heavy westin bumper and 12,000 pound winch on the front but everything else is stock. I did have sag in the front so I added some .75 spacers in the front but it seems the front is now a little higher than the rear and I need to take probably take it out. The ateering is stock for now but I ordered realignment brackets for the front and rear track bars to center the axles and a drag link from synergy.