Sponsored

Rubicon LED with NO Blind Spot Detection Question

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
My JLUR finally was delivered on Sunday and my sales person texted me pictures. I am hoping to pick it up tomorrow. But I had a question about the LED tail lights. It looks to me like the tail lights are the blind spot monitoring tail lights, but I did not order blind spot monitoring. Can anyone who has a JLUR without BSM confirm?

IMG_14681.jpg

IMG_14661.jpg
Sponsored

Muddog

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Ion
I have JLUS with LED Package without BlindSpot Package. Lights are same as yours. Look same as BlindSpot but on the casing, no BlindSpot Tech parts inside. Just the same exterior parts.

OP
OP
Jrbrannan

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
I have JLUS with LED Package without BlindSpot Package. Lights are same as yours. Look same as BlindSpot but on the casing, no BlindSpot Tech parts inside. Just the same exterior parts.
That is a bummer- I was hoping it was not going to hang out like that- seems like something that would be just begging for a tree to take it out when you are wheelin it.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I believe the tech parts are inside. It can be activated with a programmer but still needs the mirrors to be fully functional.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
That is a bummer- I was hoping it was not going to hang out like that- seems like something that would be just begging for a tree to take it out when you are wheelin it.
I was hoping mine wouldn't come with those tail lights as well! I was confused when my Jeep showed up with them installed.
I've had two of my wheeling buddies damage their JK taillights which I don't recall sticking out nearly as far.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jrbrannan

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I believe the tech parts are inside. It can be activated with a programmer but still needs the mirrors to be fully functional.
That could be a cool upgrade later if the mirrors get cheap.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
That could be a cool upgrade later if the mirrors get cheap.
I have the "Tazer" Programmer that allows you to turn on that feature, but I have yet to see if it works without the blinkers in the mirrors. Some have said it still beeps at you if someone is in your blind spot when you turn the blinker on.

Skippy

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Ford Bronco 351W, 2021 Rubicon 4xe
I have the "Tazer" Programmer that allows you to turn on that feature, but I have yet to see if it works without the blinkers in the mirrors. Some have said it still beeps at you if someone is in your blind spot when you turn the blinker on.
Wait.. Tazer will turn that on and off? I wonder if it is only for the Jeeps that came with it? That would be pretty awesome and worth the price of the Tazer (since the price for the safety feature is like $500).

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
My JLUR finally was delivered on Sunday and my sales person texted me pictures. I am hoping to pick it up tomorrow. But I had a question about the LED tail lights. It looks to me like the tail lights are the blind spot monitoring tail lights, but I did not order blind spot monitoring. Can anyone who has a JLUR without BSM confirm?

IMG_14681.jpg

IMG_14661.jpg
Dude. Awesome. That color is purdy.

The housing for the LED unit is the same regardless of the BSM system.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
No, Chris and others here... it is a no go in regard to this. Read below what Joe from Z Automotive emailed me a while back...

"The LED lighting package does not include the sensors. Even though they are located within the lights, they aren’t a hard part of the lights. They sit on a bracket under the side of the light.I can’t even be 100% sure at the moment that the harness is even there, it may need to be wired in (4 wires on each sensor but still...) I added the option to enable it as it was easy to add, and I'm sure someone will install it in their Jeep, soon enough."

Sponsored

cdavison82

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Granite Mettalic
On another subject, I have found the audio beep does not work with doors removed. Seems like bad design. I would think the whole benefit of the beep is when your mirrors are not available. Someone smarter than me figure out how to override that?

Steve5282

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JLU
I know the topic hasn’t been touched on in a bit here. I was curious if anyone has added the bsm to there jl.

LeeWell

First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
Was told by my dealer when I tried to purchase The BSM tail lights and mirrors that it has to be done when the vehicle is ordered or the vehicle with have to have new harness. In other words very expense to install if it was not original equipment when the Jeep was ordered.

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
My salesman kept saying Wranglers are the Legos of cars. You’d think with how many people like to modify, change, or regret not getting something it would be an option to add later. Jeep could sell more parts by installing the same wire harness, at the factory, in all Jeep models. Charge labor for the install & programming, and have a happy customer.

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
I know the topic hasn’t been touched on in a bit here. I was curious if anyone has added the bsm to there jl.
I'll post this to save anyone else the aggravation and money....

I tried…. No success. A lot of money wasted.... I knew the parts needed before getting into this, I knew what was missing - including wiring. Dealer was of no value btw... Except when they said "can't be done....thousand of dollars" Not right on the thousands of dollars part, but maybe right - BCM or some such module needs to updated. Yes, I have a Tazer JL.

1. Tail lights - you need to have LED lights before proceeding. You'll need to add the radar module, bracket, harness, All of this bolts right up, plugs right in. Main body harness wires ARE present. The new tail light harness brings/connects the radar modules to main harness (obviously via the main tail light connection) This will cost PER tail light: Radar $138; Bracket $4, Harness $28

2. Main door harness... Unless you have proximity locks, and that still is not a guaranty - you will need to upgrade your door harnesses. $44 per door. I had to decode the options codes at Tech Authority to figure out... BTW, this also adds the mirror turn signal wire... This job is, eh, somewhat difficult... The real pi$$ser is the next job - one I though would be easy!

3. Mirror jumpers/mirrors : You need to upgrade the jumper that goes from the door harness to the mirror. Thought it would be easy. Nope! Must be put in early, before the regulator or something... Basically I had to remove the pins from the new harness (yes, I kept track of where they went, took pictures, and had the connector/wiring diagram...) I then used the old harness to pull the wire just far enough to grab, I then put the pins back. Tested mirror operation - THEN I had to cut the other connector end of the old connector so I could pull it through (I fiddled with the pins for like an hour trying to save it, its different than the other end...)
Jumpers are about $14 per side

Mirrors - you can buy mirrors with just BSM or BSM AND turn signals. These will be euro spec - which I like because of their concavity. Great visibility.
Mirrors are $150 per side...

Make sure fuse is good/present. F61 - it was already there.

THEN….

Use your Tazer JL to enable BSM. And.... drum roll.... you get nothing. Except an error. "Blind Spot Alert Unavailable Service Needed".... I was expecting the BSM option in Tazer JL to make the BSM setting visible on the radio - similar to what it does for the Aux switches.... It does not.

Lots of money for nothing... well I got the turn signal mirrors....

To answer the $100,000 ($700) question.... "Why didn't I just order one with this?" I didn't order my JL, took it off the lot, had most options I wanted.

I did not go into this blind. I read the operations manual on tech authority, I reviewed the wiring diagrams, I carefully analyzed the needed parts, I I looked at was on my vehicle already....

I did contact @joe@zauto to see if he has any thoughts...

So bottom line.. Unless Zautomotive has a firmware update or something, Don't bother....
Sponsored