Rubicon leathers in a sport.

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Scored a really good deal for some tan rubicon leather take offs with the back molle panel.

Wondering if anyone has attempted this yet, I haven’t been able to find anything. From what I can tell the metal frame looks to be the same, only difference between the sport and rubicon is the seat back foam. Not sure what the difference is, only thing I can think of is it having a hard back under the cloth to support the back pocket.

Also it looks like the molle panel clips into the steel frame so I believe it should work.

I’ll post pics hopefully next weekend when I do it. If anyone has done this already hit me up.
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

If you got the rear seats too, they likely won't fit due to the Rubicon having the center arm rest.

Sponsored

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
You did a full seat swap?

Would it be possible to the leather rubicon covers and put it over stock sport seats?

OP
OP
Turbo_punkn

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
You did a full seat swap?

Would it be possible to the leather rubicon covers and put it over stock sport seats?
these were just the skins from a rubicon, the seller also gave the the molle panels as well. There’s no way you can just cover up the cloth seats with these, they won’t sit right at all.

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
these were just the skins from a rubicon, the seller also gave the the molle panels as well. There’s no way you can just cover up the cloth seats with these, they won’t sit right at all.
Yes i have a sport now.

Someone is selling just the black leather from a rubicon
Do i need the molle panels to make there leather fit on my sport or is there a back to it similar to the sport seat cover

OP
OP
Turbo_punkn

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Yes i have a sport now.

Someone is selling just the black leather from a rubicon
Do i need the molle panels to make there leather fit on my sport or is there a back to it similar to the sport seat cover
If you don’t get the molle panels you’ll have a big open space on the back of the seats. Online those panels are about $160 a piece. If you get the panels, you’ll have to trim some of the seat foam on the back to get them to fit properly.

Sponsored

CaptStarboard

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brisbanejeepclub.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon 2.2L TD - "Jacko" Punk'n Orange (Old - 2010 Jeep KK Cherokee)
Looks like a fabulous job!

Can I ask if you used silicon spray on the foam and inside leather seat covers? Seen YouTube videos where that seemed effective. Also, when you say "skins", do you mean you just the leather covers (and molle panels) and then you stripped off the cloth skins and replaced with these tan leather ones?

Any tips? I have a Punk'n Rubi that I am just buying, cloth seats and I want to upgrade!

Cheers,
Capt' Starboard

Last edited:

Mattk11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Rubicon
I didn't think this was possible. Nice job, you could have gotten the fronts tighter but those hog rings are a bitch - it took two of us to get them tight enough - one to pull with two hands, the other to connect the ring. You may also try a little steam, then set them in the sun to let them tighten up.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
What leather is the stock leather anyway? What grade? Katzkin is it Nappa leather? The factory leather feels more like a Vernasca style leather you'd seen a 3 series BMW. My OEM leather is already tearing at the seems so I need to get it replaced, but I was thinking of just getting new leather covers from Katzkin if the leather is better quality (i.e., Nappa or some other).

Mattk11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Rubicon
What leather is the stock leather anyway? What grade? Katzkin is it Nappa leather? The factory leather feels more like a Vernasca style leather you'd seen a 3 series BMW. My OEM leather is already tearing at the seems so I need to get it replaced, but I was thinking of just getting new leather covers from Katzkin if the leather is better quality (i.e., Nappa or some other).
When I had my center console professionally upholstered to match my Katzkin leathers that I installed myself, The upholstery guy looked at the Katzkins and told me they were higher quality that the stock leather because all the surfaces were actual leather and not vinyl in some locations. Not sure if that helps.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
When I had my center console professionally upholstered to match my Katzkin leathers that I installed myself, The upholstery guy looked at the Katzkins and told me they were higher quality that the stock leather because all the surfaces were actual leather and not vinyl in some locations. Not sure if that helps.
Hey thank you for replying. In my case I was just curious about the seat surfaces. It's real leather I'm just not sure what grade. For instance BMW has Dakota... Vernasca... etc. Dakota is basically fully sealed -- to be super durable, but is not soft. The Jeep leather is pretty soft compared to Dakota, but it's not Nappa... can tell you that. It's much harder.
Sponsored