Sponsored

Rubicon JL Hood Blackout Decal

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Do you have this for Sport JLs, JKs, and TJs?

USMCJosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
@klhjeep2018 @Jgeiken When you guys used your heat gun, I assume you went low at ~700 degrees?

Mine only gives me 700/1000, but both seem high to me.

Sponsored

OP
OP
pixeldecals

pixeldecals

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pixeldecals.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLU Rubicon, 2013 JKU Rubicon
Yes low temp. Not sure of the exact temperature.. low and keep it moving
Exacty right - you can overheat the material, so be careful. A hairdryer works more slowly if you want to be safer.

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
@klhjeep2018 @Jgeiken When you guys used your heat gun, I assume you went low at ~700 degrees?

Mine only gives me 700/1000, but both seem high to me.
I used a hair dryer on low and just got the material a little warm. I ended up with a small crease toward the front and the heat also smoothed that right out.

I mainly had to use the heat at the top of the hood to wrap the 2mm or so around the lip so there wasnt any white showing. That was a little tedious but I just pushed it down with my finger and then did it again every few minutes until the whole decal stuck. Be generous with the solution on both the decal and the hood and get it in position (it slides easily). Then just work your way from the inside out pushing th water out.

Trust me, if I can do it, you can.

OP
OP
pixeldecals

pixeldecals

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pixeldecals.com
Vehicle(s)
Updated the first post with a couple new options!

There is now a version that has a red border - We have successfully tested this with a few members and have been doing them as custom orders for a couple months. Similar to the side vent 2-color decals, these come as 2 pieces that you install in 2 steps. This allows for the best, cleanest install possible. As always, these are made from top quality 3M 1080 series wrap vinyl.

USMCJosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Just finished installing my dual layer with the red trim. Will upload a couple pictures as well as give an unbiased opinion on them.

Install was actually super easy, took a little time installing as taking your time is key. Took me about an hour and a half, and that includes taking everything off/on the hood. Removing everything from the hood was super easy, just use the tool mentioned earlier in the thread and an adjustable wrench.

The water solution is key when applying the decal as mentioned. Even though I had it almost aligned perfectly on the first go, it helps to be able to move for sure.

The black decal is a lot easier to work with than the red in my opinion. Even after pushing out the water the red decal was moving all over the place and coming up while the black was pretty stable. Not sure if it was coincidence or something else with the adhesive.

I did leave a little overhand on the top so I could wrap the edge so I didn’t have any gaps as also mentioned earlier in this thread, but for some reason I still have not been able to fully adhere, and when I play with it it seems to lift the whole decal off the hood, so I am going to let it rest for a little and adhere more permanently and then try again.

The red is definitely a little brighter than the Rubicon outline as an FYI. Once I put on the vent decals it will all blend in together. But if you don’t have a Rubicon or redid that decal than know worries.

Don’t foresee any issues with it, but if something comes up I will let everyone know.

Glad I did it. Think it looks good and with a very little mess up on my part, definitely a more cost effective way to make your Jeep stand out. If you have been debating on this, go and order them. Definitely worth it.

7D31D9BE-FCF8-4DF2-BAF0-0DC3D2DC867B.jpeg
9E1B7790-D6FD-4714-9D61-6D19B5B274F2.jpeg
86703CB1-723A-4BC4-BA7F-DEAF05324692.jpeg
9D804275-455B-412D-81A1-F833EC460137.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
pixeldecals

pixeldecals

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pixeldecals.com
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the fantastic review @USMCJosh!

Let everything dry and then with a little heat you should be able to adhere the overhang without any issue.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
YUP, they all look pretty cool-

SUNP0218_zpsok9peoyj.jpg

Ain't jeepin fun ??

JIMBO

brianP

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My Rubi hood.

EE575F75-D435-4277-A347-E31A75DAE8F5.jpeg

40CE6AB0-E470-4F21-B6B5-77B6EC7B63E7.jpeg
That is sweet looking may I ask where you got the full hood cover or is that custom wrapped? Feel free to PM me as to not hijack this thread with a different product.

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
If ever removed, is the paint okay underneath?
Sponsored