Rubicon having issue going up the same terrain while sport easily went up

Teghogh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl sport
Ok let me start by saying that I’m not challenging rubicons superiority over sport. I’m not crazy and don’t believe in conspiracies. This is A mystery to me.
This is not the first incident that this issue has occured .
My sport without lockers can easily go up the terrains that my cousins rubicon gets stuck and would need to use his lockers.
It seems as though rubicon does not have the BLD option and therefore use of lockers is mandatory when about to get stuck.
Both of us are new to off-roading and I have no doubt as terrains get more difficult he would have the advantage
Please look at both videos I took today.
The blue wrangler is rubicon

The brake lock differential has done a damn fine job getting me out of trouble
It’s wirth mentioning that I also have the limited slip differential as well
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Cool videos...thanks for sharing. In this little sample hill, I would imagine your limited slip rear axle is superior to a BLD axle rubi. On tougher climbs, the rubi with both lockers engaged would run circles around the sport if both have stock gearing and somewhat similiar tires. Do you have any more videos doing tough trails?

Last edited:

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
If I'm not mistaken the Rubicon should also have BLD. If the Rubicon did not have its lockers on (which it definitely did not appear to) then you'd definitely have the advantage with LSD.

IMHO the both the BLD and LSD which I have in my Sport are great. I was concerned at first that I wasn't going to have a locker but every time my vehicle has articulated into off camber positions the Jeep has done fine :).

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
The whole advantage of a locker over a LSD is that when not locked it functions as a fully open differential. There are no clutch packs to wear out or other parts like a LSD that will wear out over time on the street. When engaged, a locker is superior in every way.

Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Tire pressure could play a role here too?

OP
OP

Teghogh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl sport
We don’t do tough trails. But his front is slipping not the back. I believe it’s the BLD that is doing the work not the limited slip. As I mentioned there are at least 3 more occurances with similar results . He is getting pretty pissed off haha
Cool videos...thanks for sharing. In this little sample hill, I would imagine your limited slip rear axle is superior to a BLD axle rubi. On tougher climbs, the rubi with both lockers engaged would run circles around the sport if both have stock gearing and somewhat similiar tires. Do you have any more videos doing tough trails?

Last edited:
OP
OP

Teghogh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl sport
The whole advantage of a locker over a LSD is that when not locked it functions as a fully open differential. There are no clutch packs to wear out or other parts like a LSD that will wear out over time on the street. When engaged, a locker is superior in every way.
I understand that but ithe front is slipping so it’s the BLD that’s doing the work not the lsd

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
What size are those tires? I go through stuff like that all the time with 0 issues but I'm on stock Rubicon 33".

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
It's really more about the line he took. If you watch closely, when his front tire starts slipping he is on a line where his front tire is in a hole and his rear is much higher. Your line is very close, but you were further to the left requiring less articulation therefore getting more traction. You can tell him it's due to your superior driving skills.

OP
OP

Teghogh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl sport
What size are those tires? I go through stuff like that all the time with 0 issues but I'm on stock Rubicon 33".
He has 33s. Again he didn’t have any issues while lockers were engaged. I just thought the BLD would bring him up

OP
OP

Teghogh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl sport
It's really more about the line he took. If you watch closely, when his front tire starts slipping he is on a line where his front tire is in a hole and his rear is much higher. Your line is very close, but you were further to the left requiring less articulation therefore getting more traction. You can tell him it's due to your superior driving skills.
If you look at my rear tires vs his, they are both equally flexed into the fender. Besides it’s it’s the front wheel that stops slipping when his locker is ingaged and in my case the BLD.
Again we have had several results in other trails as well.

OP
OP

Teghogh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl sport
Here is the other time that he got stuck. Very similar to what occurred today. Front driver wheels goes up in the air and BLd doesn’t do the work until he engages the lockers needless to say I went up the same trail right after him with no fuss what so ever

Sponsored