Rubicon-Hard to find

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
A body color top bought at another time would never match that’s why I figure I could always buy a black top later. A lot of people sell them to get a soft top or I can order a new one
A vinyl wrap would be virtually indistinguishable from black paint and you would still have the option to go back to a colored top for free.
Sponsored

Ravager

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon Granite Crystal Metallic Station Wagon
Vehicle Showcase
A vinyl wrap would be virtually indistinguishable from black paint and you would still have the option to go back to a colored top for free.
If she wraps it, will it not discolor or age like the rest of the vehicle? When she removes the wrap after a year or two, she'll have two shades of punkn.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If she wraps it, will it not discolor or age like the rest of the vehicle? When she removes the wrap after a year or two, she'll have two shades of punkn.
If she decides she wants a colored hard top back, the non-discolored original hard top will still be a better color match than the black hardtop.

OP
OP
walkerkm

walkerkm

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon, 2016 JKU, 2001 Harley Road King Classic, 1949 Chevy Fleetline, 1958 Chevy Apache
Punkn colored top would be a LOT of punkn. Probably want to break it up with some decals but that's a good point about the color matching.
You’re right that’s a lot of punk’n...I was at the dealer today and was ready to order but now I’m really thinking of that top color...so right now I’m at colored fenders and black top...why is this so hard to decide lol

Then...they mentioned resale and colors...and now I’m totally confused! Anyone have insite on resale of jeeps with bright or colors other than white, black or silver? I love the Punk’n and would want to keep it for a while if not forever especially since the build sheet will have my name on it, but I cannot lie color and resale is in the back of my head...

Last edited:

Ravager

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Speaking from experience: It was difficult to find a Punk'n JLUR with the options I wanted (Check my signature). When I did find one, it was much harder to get one for the price I wanted. I ordered a Jeep built specifically for me, with 0 miles, for a better price. Not sure if the other sales guy I talked to during delivery inspection was blowing smoke, but he said he got calls on my Jeep the day it came in because it was Orange/JLUR/ Manual trans. and said he couldn't find one for at least 300mi. Granted, I'm a little different than your average use case (required Rubicon because it will get built and go off road for trail rides and family adventures, Manual, Unlimited, and Dual tops), but I plan on having this Jeep for ~15 years, possibly more. I was going to get the color I wanted and the options that would make life easier (LED Headlights), and with the colors being no difference in price, I was ordering a color I loved- not something I would settle for; I waited probably close to 3 months, but it was worth it.

Irony: There are now 3 Punk'n Orange Jeeps on that lot (No Rubicons), and Several on lots around my area. I saw one on the road on my way home from the dealer last week and shouted a few choice words inside my Jeep because I couldn't find one when I was looking and now they're everywhere.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
You’re right that’s a lot of punk’n...I was at the dealer today and was ready to order but now I’m really thinking of that top color...so right now I’m at colored fenders and black top...why is this so hard to decide lol

Then...they mentioned resale and colors...and now I’m totally confused! Anyone have insite on resale of jeeps with bright or colors other than white, black or silver? I love the Punk’n and would want to keep it for a while if not forever especially since the build sheet will have my name on it, but I cannot lie color and resale is in the back of my head...
I would recommend buying the Jeep you want to buy, not what they next owner wants. Does buying what the next owner may want sound fun? Realistically, I doubt color would make much of a difference in resale, unless the color becomes known for quality issues). Sure, you could go with white/black/grey and be like 90% of the other vehicles out there. I also think Jeeps don't look right with body colored hard tops (unless you are going for white in warm weather areas).

Triggerfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubi
I would recommend buying the Jeep you want to buy, not what they next owner wants. Does buying what the next owner may want sound fun? Realistically, I doubt color would make much of a difference in resale, unless the color becomes known for quality issues). Sure, you could go with white/black/grey and be like 90% of the other vehicles out there. I also think Jeeps don't look right with body colored hard tops (unless you are going for white in warm weather areas).
Agree, make this Jeep yours and get what you want! The trade in value down the road may or may not be less because of color, but I don't think it would be significant enough to pick another color that you may not be as happy with! Jeeps are fun vehicles and getting the color you want is part of that fun IMO.

I almost went with Mojito, my only concern was if I was going to like it the same in 3-4 years and the fact I've never owned a green car before. :) I was not concerned with resale.. for all you know, someone may really want that color at the time you decide to sell it and may even pay extra for it. I wanted Firecracker just as bad, so that's why I picked it. And I love having a Jeep exactly the way I wanted, it's a great feeling. No compromise!

OP
OP
walkerkm

walkerkm

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon, 2016 JKU, 2001 Harley Road King Classic, 1949 Chevy Fleetline, 1958 Chevy Apache
Just ordered my Rubicon! Went with white....I kept going back and forth with Punk’n. Praying for a fast delivery :)

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just ordered my Rubicon! Went with white....I kept going back and forth with Punk’n. Praying for a fast delivery :)
You still have the option of someday getting it vinyl wrapped if you get tired of white. There was a build thread showing the process of getting a purple wrap that looked pretty good. I went with white in anticipation of doing some custom vinyl wrap. A vinyl wrap usually doesn't cover everything, and I think having the exposed bits white is the best option.

sport -4dr -tp 2 crop.jpg
sport 4dr tp 2crop.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
walkerkm

walkerkm

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi Order placed 4/1 due to ship 4/8! Now that’s fast!!!

Ravager

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Rubi Order placed 4/1 due to ship 4/8! Now that’s fast!!!
I love white, and the dealer that bought my JK say it's the easiest to resale. Congrats!

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats and enjoy your Jeep! Personally I would have gone with the Punk'n but white is classic.

OP
OP
walkerkm

walkerkm

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
walkerkm

walkerkm

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congrats and enjoy your Jeep! Personally I would have gone with the Punk'n but white is classic.
Totally understand love the Punk’n so much but I had to go the classic route. Wish I could be more daring...
Sponsored