Sponsored

Rubicon Going To 35s

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Jeepster21

Curious why you want to go bigger... Have you ever had a Wrangler with bigger?

Not sure what your lifestyle is.... Do you commute lots.. Travel a lot on the interstates....drive State to State .... just hang around your local area...

I have had many a Wrangler and ... well, ....along with big tires .....comes a whole different deal lets say..

When I did not travel much with my Wrangler's, I'd go big.. but as a guy that now travels a lot ..... many interstate miles from State to State ...well, no way would I go bigger on my Rubi then stock..

Yes, big tires look great but you sacrifice lots .... think think..... 8-)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepster21

Jeepster21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
@Rhinebeck01

More of an appearance thing than anything else.

As to your question about travel, interstates, driving so forth the answer is yes yes and yes

If you could please elaborate on what you sacrifice with going to bigger tires.

@Jeepster21

Not sure what your lifestyle is.... Do you commute lots.. Travel a lot on the interstates....drive State to State .... just hang around your local area...

I have had many a Wrangler and ... well, ....along with big tires .....comes a whole different deal lets say..

When I did not travel much with my Wrangler's, I'd go big.. but as a guy that now travels a lot ..... many interstate miles from State to State ...well, no way would I go bigger on my Rubi then stock..

Last edited:

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
More of an appearance thing than anything else.

As to your question about travel, interstates, driving so forth the answer is yes yes and yes

If you could please elaborate on what you sacrifice with going to bigger tires.
I personally dont think you have to sacrifice much as long as you are reasonable, do your research, and manage your own drive to modify a bit.

Reasonable: If you are doing lots of road driving then get a tire that will be comfortable and capable on the road, in a size that is not going to force you to regear, add lots of steering and suspension requirements, and add a ton of unsprung wieght to you vehicle. That means probably an AT vs an ultra agressive MT. Don't be the guy that buys 100lbs swampers, mounts them on heavy steal beadlocks and then wonders why your vehicle drives like sh#@ on the highway. A good light aluminum wheel (like Method) with an AT like the Baja Boss AT or the Toyo ATIII... You keep weight fairly low, you have a good warranty, and your tire is fairly quite.

Do You Research: Know what your factory set-up weighed and understand the dynamics of sprung and unsprung weight, rolling restistance, leverage, etc. Know what kind of suspension, gearing, body, etc mods will be required with which size tires. Dont trust the guy at the local 4x4 shop to steer you right...he doesnt care as much about your vehicle as you, and unless you have found a pretty amazing shop...the issue on the forefront of his mind is making as much money as possible...and that does not result from limited mods.

Manage your drive to modify: Have a plan for your jeep, know what you want out of it, and what you need to change to get there, then go into those changes with your eyes open (because you did your research) then dont get sucked into the just one more thing...one more inch of travel, one size bigger tire...etc.

Now if you do those things, my opinion is you can end up with a jeep that sits on bigger tires, looks pretty darn good, and performs better that stock in the dirt, while still being a pleasure to drive on the road...even very long distances.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Could you post some before and after pics?

Not looking to go with any type of lift just upgrading the tires to 35s that shouldn't be a problem right?
Before and after.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Going To 35s 7E8D7C31-6D1A-4C8C-8DCD-1B37D3271ADB

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Going To 35s C53A9096-6D19-43CA-817A-654F009FBFCF

Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Could you post some before and after pics?

Not looking to go with any type of lift just upgrading the tires to 35s that shouldn't be a problem right?
Also concerning fender clearance / rubbing with 35’s w/o lift. Others will have to address that.

Rubi fender clearance is different and I added lift.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Also concerning fender clearance / rubbing with 35’s w/o lift. Others will have to address that.

Rubi fender clearance is different and I added lift.
No problem going to 35's with a JL, Rubi, clearance wise.... especially if not off roading...

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Definitely looking for 35x11.5.
I had 35x11.50r18 nitto EXO grapplers on my 2016 ram 1500. Leveled it on the stock wheels so I didn’t want any rubbing. Loved them, they are great snow rated all terrains. They wear awesome as well. Plus you don’t see many guys running the exo’s.
man I miss this truck after seeing these pics LOL
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Going To 35s DD9264B3-851E-44D9-8744-516C7B86B6F3
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Going To 35s 70AC6B8E-1E6A-4F22-9A71-540418A8EEA5

OP
OP
Jeepster21

Jeepster21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
@Rhinebeck01

Can you elaborate on the sacrifices?

@Jeepster21

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Not exactly the same set up as you, but closer than some in this thread. I have a Gladiator Rubicon, stock height, on 35x11.50 Toyo ATIIIs and have been very happy with that set up.

I'm a big fan of tall n skinny ATs with the 3PMSF rating for snow and wet weather performance that a lot of MTs lack.

When I was tire shopping I narrowed it down to the following:

TireSizeLoad Range Weight
Toyo ATiii35x11.50x17C63
BFG KO2315/70/17C64.4
Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT35x10.50x17E64
Kenda Klever RT 35x10.50x17D67

The Mickey AT didn't exist when I was in the market, but it looks like a pretty compelling tire.

If you try and keep the overall weight low, the drivability impact is pretty minimal, and I am very particular about the way my cars/trucks/jeeps drive.

Sponsored

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Stock wheels are just shy of 22#. Check out the 285.75.17 size. They are 34” +/- a smidge. I landed on Yokohama Goo3 MT in load range E. My only regret is the load range is a bit stiff…ive not heard a complaint about anyone that purchases a load range C tire. For Road mostly I’d go to the Toyo ATiii in range C.

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
You should have no issues going to 35s on a Rubicon (the Rubicon fenders already allow a bit more travel, so there shouldn't be any rubbing). I went to 37s with a very minimal (I think 1.5") lift and have no rubbing, so 35s should fit with no modifications. You also shouldn't have to re-gear with 35s (I eventually went to 4.88 gears with my 37s, but the stock 4.10s would have been fine... I was still occasionally seeing 8th gear, so 35s should be no problem).

As to what you give up... I think it has more to do with the tire design than the size (at least going from 33" to 35"). Pay attention to the load rating of the tire you plan to go with (higher load ratings = a stiffer tire that will translate bumps in the road/terrain up to the passengers). In my experience, adding weight to the tires can also exacerbate any suspension issues that might already exist (and even stock Jeeps are prone to issues related to the solid front axle). I never had wobble with my stock 33s- but picked up some with my 37s. It's largely been eliminated by upgrading a few components, but adding mass to the wheels definitely impacts things, and not always in a positive way.

For sure Jeeps look better (IMO) on larger tires. I remember putting 33s on my TJ and thinking they looked huge. Now I still get tire envy when I see 40s on a JL (although the amount of work you have to do to make those work just isn't worth it for me :^). 35s should look great (as evidenced by some of the photos posted on this thread), and shouldn't cause any problems. I have a feeling 35s would have been an easier path for my JL... but I do like the look of the 37s (and- if I ever win the lottery, I'll have 40s one day :^).
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Going To 35s new shoes

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Going To 35s tires after

Driftyd

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL rubicon
Looking to possibly go with 35s on my Rubicon and would appreciate any and all feedback; pros/cons/which ones to go with/etc.

No lift and keeping factory wheels. 35x11.5 tire.

Probably Toyo or Nitto?

Using the same tires year round with tread comparable to factor Rubicon. Driving is primarily city and highway.

Much appreciated.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Going To 35s 2590DE0E-4CFE-4AC5-ACCB-AC7C11B203F7

Looking to possibly go with 35s on my Rubicon and would appreciate any and all feedback; pros/cons/which ones to go with/etc.

Probably Toyo or Nitto?

Using the same tires year round with tread comparable to factor Rubicon. Driving is primarily city and highway.

Much appreciated.

Driftyd

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL rubicon

Probably Toyo or Nitto?

Much appreciated.

Probably Toyo or Nitto?

Much appreciated.

Sponsored