Sponsored

Rubicon fuel economy (3.6L manual transmission)?

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Sorry if this has been covered at length, I couldn’t find much on this specific question, but wanted to poll the other manual transmission 3.6L Rubicon Owners out there - what sort of MPG are you averaging? I’m only getting about 16 mpg and maybe that is average for everyone, but it seems low. I don’t have much in the way of aftermarket upgrades (just rock sliders/steps) so I don’t think that my weight is making a major difference? Also I aired down my tires to about 36psi (still high if you ask me but I don’t want to trigger the warning light and it’s much better than the 41-42lbs that I bought it with). Premium vs 87 octane gas hasn’t made a noticeable difference either - maybe I just drive like an a-hole (which makes sense, as I am one - ha!).
Sorry for the pun here but I get that ymmv - just curious what everyone else was averaging - thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Stock 16-17 mixed driving city and 75 mph highway

Last 10,000 miles on 37s and centerforce clutch, mostly 55mph back highways - 17-17.5

I dunno

KeithM

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 06 Duramax, e39 Touring
Occupation
Software
I got 18-19 in mostly suburban driving, 21-22 on the highway when I cared. But lately I haven't been caring, so 17ish suburban, 19-20 on the highway.

I've been fairly impressed with the fuel mileage when I'm just chillin.

flharleycop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2018 Ford Raptor, past 79 CJ5, 86 CJ7, 11 JKU
Occupation
Retired
Stock 2020 Rubicon 40 psi and I get 22 on highway and 20.7 average driving. I am in high country in Colorado, I have heard you get better MPGs at altitude.

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6 manual
Running 34 Kevlar MTR's average 16, 15 when doing 80 on the highway.
normally shift about 2800-3000 and try and keep it above 2200 so sometimes downshift to keep up the RPM's. driving under 2k RPM's the engine really doesn't feel smooth.

Sponsored

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Best I get is a little more than 15 MPG, on a JLR with 3.5" lift on 37's

JoepCO

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Sting Grey
Vehicle Showcase
I got around 19 MPG on 37” KO2’s without a lift. With the lift I am now getting around 18 MPG. That includes some trail riding in CO.

I drive pretty passive, after all it’s a Jeep not a Mustang!

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Stock 2-door. Avg mixed between 18-19. 20.5 on interstate if I stay around 75. 24+ if I stay around 60-65.

OP
OP
Tdurden032

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Thanks for the responses everyone - I kept reading online that the JLURs typically averaged 18mpg city and up to 25 mpg hwy, and thought that I had to be doing something really wrong. I get that it’s a heavy and non-aerodynamic vehicle but 16 mpgs on average was a little disappointing - small price to pay for the fun factor though ;)

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR
Sorry if this has been covered at length, I couldn’t find much on this specific question, but wanted to poll the other manual transmission 3.6L Rubicon Owners out there - what sort of MPG are you averaging? I’m only getting about 16 mpg and maybe that is average for everyone, but it seems low. I don’t have much in the way of aftermarket upgrades (just rock sliders/steps) so I don’t think that my weight is making a major difference? Also I aired down my tires to about 36psi (still high if you ask me but I don’t want to trigger the warning light and it’s much better than the 41-42lbs that I bought it with). Premium vs 87 octane gas hasn’t made a noticeable difference either - maybe I just drive like an a-hole (which makes sense, as I am one - ha!).
Sorry for the pun here but I get that ymmv - just curious what everyone else was averaging - thanks in advance!
How many miles do you have? The engine may not be fully broken in yet.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks for the responses everyone - I kept reading online that the JLURs typically averaged 18mpg city and up to 25 mpg hwy, and thought that I had to be doing something really wrong. I get that it’s a heavy and non-aerodynamic vehicle but 16 mpgs on average was a little disappointing - small price to pay for the fun factor though ;)
It's really amazing what this JL can do. My old TJ with a 4.0 on 31" tires only did 13 mpg. My 5.9 Ram on 38s does 9.5 with a tailwind. 15+ is mind blowing!

InvictusManeo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
Wow, I guess I’m in last place...or first??? 12ish in the city and a tad over 15 on the highway. JLUR with stock 4.10 gears, on 37s, PSI down to 26 to get better contact patch with stock 7.5in wheels. Front bumper, rear bumper w/ tire carrier, and winch add a bit of weight into the equation too.

ralphgb

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL
My wife's 2-door 2019 JLR soft top has averaged 18.5 MPG. Stock wheels, tires, and suspension. Weight-wise, it has a winch, Tuffy enclosure box, and a hi-lift jack installed. Run it at 36 PSI.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Ain't nobody with a 6MT getting 25mpg highway regularly. I just have a Sport S 4-door so it's significantly lighter than the Rubi and geared differently, but I'm on the best MPG tank so far in 5k miles and indicating just shy of 25 mpg which is probably more like 23 mpg actual. My Jeep's only mods are the Mopar Performance Rock Rails at around an add'l 150 lbs and I'm averaging 22.3 mpg lifetime. I drive a ton of highway at ~65 mph and a lot of back roads between 40-50 mph. I think my mileage is some of the highest for the V6 6MT 4-doors on the forum and I make an effort to drive as smoothly as possible (most because I'm usually trying to get my kid to fall asleep when I'm driving around).

rawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
JLU Sahara 6-speed manual
- 35" tires
- 2.5" Lift

Current MPG all around is ~16 when naked, closer to 17.5 with top and doors on.
I was about 18-19 before tires, lift didn't change much.

I use only high-tier gas 87 octane.

Disclaimer: I drive like an a-hole, accelerate quickly and am usually leading the pack on the highway.
Sponsored