Sponsored

Rubicon Flares vs Aftermarket

Bigmike51

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I am looking at replacing my JLU Sport S flares. Would just like to run a little larger tire but no lift. Looking online the Rubicon flares through Quadratec are not much different price wise than aftermarkets, and don’t seem like too much extra work to install. I can see the benefits of keeping lights and signals and all that, and they can definitely accept a much larger tire than I’m running now. Just curious if anyone has experience/pitfalls in installing these or if I should just go with the flat aftermarket ones.

Thanks.
Sponsored

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'd personally go aftermarket. I don't think they're aggressive looking enough and they're just a huge block of plastic that will probably look out of place once I've got different bumpers. Nothings really caught my eye though. I want to keep lights on them and the addictive desert rock fighters are a bit to aggressive for me.

They're strong as hell though. I've had an SUV bounce off of one and just leave a paint smudge while crushing his front corner..

OP
OP

Bigmike51

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Yeah I’m planning bumpers front and rear. I think really I just want some 33’s and a little wider tire as the stock just look weird. I’ve never had a jeep with stock tires. Might try some wider rims and some 33X12.50’s and see how that looks with the stock ones first. I don’t think that should have any issues fitting without a lift. Appreciate the input.

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
The genright fenders are great looking.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Yeah I’m planning bumpers front and rear. I think really I just want some 33’s and a little wider tire as the stock just look weird. I’ve never had a jeep with stock tires. Might try some wider rims and some 33X12.50’s and see how that looks with the stock ones first. I don’t think that should have any issues fitting without a lift. Appreciate the input.
You’ll need wheel spacers or a high negative offset to fit 12.50” wide tires on a sport.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bigmike51

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Thanks for all the advice. Local dealer can order and install the Hi-top fenders for ~$800 OTD. Quadratec had them for $570 and for that install price I’d rather the dealership do it to limit the risk of me breaking one of those little damn plastic rivets and losing my ****. I think I’m going to keep the stock wheels as I haven’t found anything not ridiculously priced that look better than the granite crystal wheels I have. Will do a spacer and go with the 285/75’s that many on the forums seem to have luck with. Appreciate all the info and advice.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
The genright fenders are great looking.
I have still not seen the Genright ones on a JL. Are they out there somewhere that you have seen? All pictures zi have found are on a JK.

Gray Hare

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUK, 2019 JLUR, 2004 BMW M3
Vehicle Showcase
I have still not seen the Genright ones on a JL. Are they out there somewhere that you have seen? All pictures zi have found are on a JK.
Hi J. I am waiting on them too. I believe they will be released in June / July timeframe

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

You dont need the rubi fenders for stock rubi tires. I ran them on my sport at stock height and took it off road. No issues, though super close. Now i have stock rubi suspension and its great. Still on stock fenders.

I am planning on upgrading the fenders eventually but that would be so i can run 35s.

OP
OP

Bigmike51

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Getting the fenders next week but found a smokin deal on 285/70/17 BFG AT’s. Used 1.75” spidertrax spacers with stock wheels and I'm really pleased how everything turned out.

Before and after pics:

4000D9EF-8961-4751-B3EA-9809B76BEF1A.jpeg
695F083D-8E3C-4D0E-9B6D-67DEEAA3C9FB.jpeg
Sponsored