Sponsored

Rubicon fenders on Sport S - What about the liners?

Deriggs007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU SportS
Occupation
Radiologist
Hey guys,

Picking up a Rubi Suspension & Fender flares for $300 (I think that's a deal, right?) and was wondering if I can use my Sport S's liner with the Rubi fender flares?

If I can't, it's not a big deal, but I do prefer them for protection purposes. I searched around and I got mixed answers, most of the results were older.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

JLBuyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Factory order JL once I finalize the configuration..
Been researching the same thing.
I’m hearing you need the rubi liners to go with
Sounds like a fair price if no scuffs or scrapes. I saw somewhere the entire fender kit with lights and liners is $470 from the dealer.
I have my eye on a couple sets on OfferUp but they want too much right Now.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys,

Picking up a Rubi Suspension & Fender flares for $300 (I think that's a deal, right?) and was wondering if I can use my Sport S's liner with the Rubi fender flares?

If I can't, it's not a big deal, but I do prefer them for protection purposes. I searched around and I got mixed answers, most of the results were older.

Thoughts?
No go. Will need new liners for Rubi flares. Sport mount differently and too small since Rubi flares are taller and wider. You do rear as well? If so, remember rear bumper doesn’t match exactly. Not a big deal to most.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
You need Rubicon liners. For one thing the flares sit higher and the Sport liners wont work reach down to cover what is needed. Second the shape is different and thus attachment points of liner to flare will be different.
I too picked up a set of takeoff flares and had to buy the liners (and all the pushpins and rivets), costing a total of $200 on top of my flares, but still ahead by $500 over buying the flares as a kit for $800 from somewhere like Quadratec

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
You need Rubicon liners. For one thing the flares sit higher and the Sport liners wont work reach down to cover what is needed. Second the shape is different and thus attachment points of liner to flare will be different.
I too picked up a set of takeoff flares and had to buy the liners (and all the pushpins and rivets), costing a total of $200 on top of my flares, but still ahead by $500 over buying the flares as a kit for $800 from somewhere like Quadratec
Definitely worth getting a set of takeoffs. I will have a set up for sale in next couple weeks from a new 2020 Rubi Recon (standard black w LED DRLs), helping out a friend who is having her fenders swapped out. I told her to make sure they remove carefully since they are worth something.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Deriggs007

Deriggs007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU SportS
Occupation
Radiologist
Thanks. I might be able to get the liners too.
Not sure. I know he’s upgrading his fenders, not sure about liners. I’m hoping I can get them. If not, it’s not a biiiig deal.

and yes, getting front and back. I don’t really care if it lines up or not, but why wouldn’tit?

I assume the bumper is slightly different

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I might be able to get the liners too.
Not sure. I know he’s upgrading his fenders, not sure about liners. I’m hoping I can get them. If not, it’s not a biiiig deal.

and yes, getting front and back. I don’t really care if it lines up or not, but why wouldn’tit?

I assume the bumper is slightly different
Rubi rear flares stick out further

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
Before I start hunting around for Rubi fenders, I need to know (yes, I searched, but really didn't find a definitive answer) are the fenders the same for the 2 and 4 door, or are they different? thinking of swapping fenders on a '20 JL, but don't want to end up with the wrong fenders

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Before I start hunting around for Rubi fenders, I need to know (yes, I searched, but really didn't find a definitive answer) are the fenders the same for the 2 and 4 door, or are they different? thinking of swapping fenders on a '20 JL, but don't want to end up with the wrong fenders
they are the same. I just put a set of JLR takeoffs on my daughters JLU sport. I replaced the rear bumper too so it would line up better.

The halogen turn signals are different on the rubicon, with an extra light bulb. The set I purchased didn't include the wire harness. I swapped over the sport wire harness with the single bulb and it functions identical to the sport. The extra bulb is for the daytime running lights. Eventually we will upgrade to led.

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
they are the same. I just put a set of JLR takeoffs on my daughters JLU sport. I replaced the rear bumper too so it would line up better.

The halogen turn signals are different on the rubicon, with an extra light bulb. The set I purchased didn't include the wire harness. I swapped over the sport wire harness with the single bulb and it functions identical to the sport. The extra bulb is for the daytime running lights. Eventually we will upgrade to led.
If you don’t replace the rear bumper what is it about the Rubi fender that won’t lineup correctly. And is it that noticeable

did you replace with a steel OEM rear bumper?

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
If you don’t replace the rear bumper what is it about the Rubi fender that won’t lineup correctly. And is it that noticeable

The flares stick out further. You will see a gap. Some don’t care and most do. Look through this thread. If you had a Sahara (3piece bumper) you could change out end caps but a Sport has one piece plastic.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...on-difference-b-t-sport-and-rubi.24478/page-2

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put on a rubicon plastic bumper so that it aligns properly. These also have the 2 square red reflectors on either side of the hitch.

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I put on a rubicon plastic bumper so that it aligns properly. These also have the 2 square red reflectors on either side of the hitch.
Thanks. That helps. So I could upgrade to either the plastic or steel Rubi bumper to solve the alignment issue.

I guess there’s no option to just upgrade the end caps on the bumper. I also have the sensors which I would need the bumper that accommodates those as well.

not a simple upgrade for sure

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. That helps. So I could upgrade to either the plastic or steel Rubi bumper to solve the alignment issue.

I guess there’s no option to just upgrade the end caps on the bumper. I also have the sensors which I would need the bumper that accommodates those as well.

not a simple upgrade for sure
I paid $100 for all 4 fenders, inner wells, and rear bumper along with the wiring harness. It did not have the sensor holes, but I didn't need them. The plastic bumpers are not heavily sought after items, so getting them thrown into a deal where you are buying other stuff is usually a good deal for both parties.

You will need to make sure to get the bumper hardware for mounting, as it is different than the sport hardware. I don't remember the brackets exactly, but they do differ.

Another option is to buy the cheap ebay steel bumper. It is an OEM bumper style, and has the holes in it already.

a23persaud

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys (JLU)
Hey, does anyone know if the inner fender liner hardware from the sport fenders transfer over to the rubicon fenders? The person I’m buying from unfortunately doesn’t have the inner fender hardware. I think the sports have a couple of 5/16” bolts and 10mm bolts for the front and some push pins in the rear. Not sure what the inner fender liners attach with for the rubicon.

If anyone had a list of part numbers, links, and quantity to buy for the swap, that’d be EXTREMELY HELPFUL!!

Also, is there a way to buy the white retaining clips in bulk?

thank you!
Sponsored