Sponsored

Rubicon feels rough/jerky when coming to a stop.

plisken

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, BMW M5 E34
I picked up my 2 door Rubicon yesterday and while I haven't done many miles in it yet, I have noticed something and wondered if it was an issue or a "Jeep thing", or both...

Anyway with ESS disabled, when I bring the car to a complete stop at a junction or lights for example, it feels rough for the last few meters before the complete halt. I initially thought it was brake related, maybe with the car sitting for a while before I bought it but I'm not so sure. There's no noise or anything but it almost feels as though the car is hanging onto high gears longer than it should and indeed I have noticed that, depending on what speed I start slowing down from, but it can seem to not drop down gears and stay in 3/4/5 for example.

So I guess, this is the feeling one might experience if they were driving a manual (or stick shift as my US friends like to say) and maybe don't downshift or dip the clutch a little late when coming to a halt. The feeling you may get or roughness, jerking before the car would stall. Or similarly, again in a manual, if one were in too high a gear for the current low speed.

Anyway, this is all in 2H and I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Thanks in advance...
Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Does it have knobby mud terrain tires? My TJ did something like that but I had BFG Mud Terrains on it and I'm pretty sure it was just the knobbiness of the tires causing it.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Is this your first Jeep experience? They are a tad ā€œroughā€ compared to the typical car or SUV. Short wheelbase, stiff, ā€œoff roadā€ tires, etc. if no noise or truly weird stuff Iā€™d drive it a while. I suspect itā€™s normalā€¦

TwoDoorDylan

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sting Gray Rubicon; 2001 Ext Cab Tacoma
2 door Rubicon here, I have noticed the exact same 'jerkiness' you described since the day I picked it up ~4 months ago. Definitely seems different from other vehicles I have driven previously but I personally have come to the conclusion it is 'normal'. I have noticed that with some extra brake pedal finesse I can usually come to a smooth stop.

Sponsored

OP
OP
plisken

plisken

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all replies so far...

@Chupacabra it has the standard Rubicon ones, more "knobby" than I'm used to.

@Qjoh5510 I think the revs do drop slightly as it nears a complete stop but I also think this is a result of it hanging onto a higher gear, most noticeably 3rd.

@Oldbear My 3rd, went from w WK2 and a WJ before that, but completely agree, the WK2 was a completely different experience in terms of comfort and refinements. I'll continue to drive as normal and see if I can detect anything else before considering it a "jeep thing".

@TwoDoorDylan
I actually tried to be slightly firmer with the brake pedal than normal this morning on my way to work and it didn't feel so bad. It may well be with the gearing and such that it's trying to drive through the braking resistance, possibly coupled with what seems to be hanging onto a higher gear.

I've noticed that when almost as a complete stop, it may well be still in 3rd gear which is quite strange to me.

Will see what the next few days and miles unfold ;)

BenDiem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 991.2TT; 23 EVO RWD
Occupation
US Govā€™t Contractor & Gym Rat
I have a new 2Dr Sport & my JL behaves like you describe as well. I feel itā€™s the tranny not the brakes. The brakes feel like they bite then I feel like the tranny takes over and then I have to press firmly on the brakes again to get it to stop.
could be a Jeep thing? I plan to monitor the behavior of my JL, and will continue to monitor the forum to see if there should be a concern/issueā€¦ Cheers/B

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Itā€™s the 8 speed auto it has a very firm shift and torque converter. Giving it almost a manual feel. I appreciate that

#4Jeep 1st Wrangler

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Itā€™s the 8 speed auto it has a very firm shift and torque converter. Giving it almost a manual feel. I appreciate that
Agree 100%.... the 4.10 gears and the firm downshifting is what you are experiencing.... takes a little getting used to.

OP
OP
plisken

plisken

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bit of further testing yesterday and I find that if I gently brake, well in advance of my planned complete stop and almost let the car naturally slow to its normal crawl without any gas, it's less noticeable but I'm still amazed that it holds onto 3rd gear at such a slow speed.

Sponsored

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
Mine does the same slowing. Completely normal.
If you have the gear showing on your dash above your speedometer, you can actually see it drop a gear at the same time it jerks you slower.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@plisken This could be the regenerative braking associated with the ESS system, Iā€™m pretty sure the JL uses some form of this as during normal operation to keep the batteries charged, when you slow down the JL realizes this is the best time to give full power from the alternator to the batteries and it almost feels like the brakes are being applied and then released and the battery voltage displayed on the EVIC will shoot up over 14+ volts

I just recently found out about this a few months back during my Genesis battery swap and battery charger project

OP
OP
plisken

plisken

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@plisken This could be the regenerative braking associated with the ESS system
Coincidentally, I got a STOP/START NOT AVAILABLE, SERVICE STOP/START SYSTEM message and warning lamp yesterday...

Pegleg

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Vice President - Woburn Sportsmen's Association
I don't think is limited to the Rubicon, my Sahara acts similar. I have been driving 4x4 trucks for over 30 years but it's been a long long time since I drove a sold axle front and I have never driven a Jeep. It definitely took me a little while to get used to way the Wrangler drives especially as my daily driver is Tundra.
Sponsored