Rubicon fake hood vents

RubyRecon

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Has anyone here tried to make their Rubicon hood vents functional?
Good idea? Bad idea?
Sponsored

TheLodgeOne

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
I haven't seen anyone have any heat issues or ran into them myself, so seems like getting extra water in the engine bay would be another variable to think about.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I haven't seen anyone have any heat issues or ran into them myself, so seems like getting extra water in the engine bay would be another variable to think about.
With as loud as the fans are it better not over heat. :CWL:

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have made mine functional. It is very easy to do. You remove the the insulation panel on the underside of the hood. Try and not brake any of the clips as they are expensive to replace. I then used a Dremel tool to cut the plastic off the bottom of the fake vents. I used a sharp knife to cut the holes in the insulation panel.

I did not want water getting into the engine bay via the new opened up area for the hood vents. So I ordered this....

Outerwear Pre-filter Fabric

Outerwear Pre-fabric is used on dirtbike, atv, and sxs filters as a wrap around the air filter. It will let air pass through, but not water. For instance, I could fill my airbox up with water and leave approximately an inch of the air filter sticking above the water line and the ATV would still run. The pre filter is directional. So if you do this make sure you install the pre-filter material with the water resistant side up facing the the hood vents.

I used the 3m double sided tape to attach the pre filter to the insulation panel and then re-installed the insulation panel. So now if I pour water into the open hood vents, the water just runs off at the outside of the fender just as it was designed by Jeep to do.

I ordered this tape to install the pre-filter material.

3M super strength double sided tape

The whole job took about 30 minutes to do. My Jeep runs about 10 degrees cooler than it did prior to the mod. It helps when towing the camper the most.

A quick video showing that water does not go into the engine compartment, but is routed back out to the side of the hood and out by the fender.

This is what the looks like on the hood on the hood insulation with the pre filter attached.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon fake hood vents 1605281733306

looking down through the hood opening,

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon fake hood vents 1605281809702

from under the hood looking back out.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon fake hood vents 1605281843422

This is with the hood vent installed back in looking from under the hood back out.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon fake hood vents 1605281902162

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask. I believe I am the first one to do this mod this way.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Very nice mod. Have you had the chance to notice if its at all working to reduce temps at all? I know, who the hell would put a thermometer in there in the first place before and after, lol. Also have you been able to confirm if the Outwear is really working to keep out water? Thanks!

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Very nice mod. Have you had the chance to notice if its at all working to reduce temps at all? I know, who the hell would put a thermometer in there in the first place before and after, lol. Also have you been able to confirm if the Outwear is really working to keep out water? Thanks!
Did you watch the video? I pour water directly into the hood vent and the water flows out as designed by Jeep to the outside of the hood by the fender. Yes, my Jeep will typically run about 10 degrees cooler when I pull the camper. I know this by setting the coolant temp gauge as the display and watching it.

Here is a better example of how the Outerwear Pre=filter works for water....maybe...

Sponsored

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Has anyone here tried to make their Rubicon hood vents functional?
Good idea? Bad idea?
Bad idea if your Jeep is still covered by the factory warranty and you have a warranty claim that involves something under the hood. Even if the modification didn't cause the issue you can bet they will say it did and you'll be fighting an uphill battle from then on.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Last edited: