Rubicon Dreams on a Sport S Budget

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I am absolutely in love with the exterior design of the 2018 JLU Rubicon but at this point in my life can realistically only afford a Sport S. My question for the forum is how feasible/costly would it be to modify a Sport S to look like a Rubi by leveraging take-off parts from other Jeep owners? I am basically looking to replicate the entire look (excluding the "Rubicon" decals - I may be lame, but I'm not THAT lame). How much should I expect to pay to acquire the following over the next 1-2 years?
  • Stock Rubicon wheels with included 33" tires
  • Steel bumper
  • Stock LED headlights/taillights
  • Vented hood
  • Black grill/headlamp inserts
My assumption is that the stock Rubicon wheels/tires will fit perfectly on the Sport S without the need of a lift. My plans for off-roading are light with occasional forest trails requiring minimal articulation. Is this a correct assumption? Will the axles on the Sport S support the use of these larger tires given the lighter off-roading I may be doing?

I am also assuming that if I can get my hands on a bumper and grill inserts their installation would be extremely straight-forward. My biggest question is if it would even be possible to install stock Jeep LED head and taillights in the future. I have never owned a vehicle this customizable before so this is all very new to me.

I appreciate any feedback the forum can provide and am certainly jealous of all of you with a new 2018 Rubicon in your driveway, garage, or on order. Hoping that your feedback will convince me to pull the trigger on a 2018 Sport S, or to wait 3-5 years (gasp) until I can afford my dream rig.
Don't forget about the higher fenders.

I will enjoy modifying/accessorizing/personalizing my JL Sport. It's half the fun.
Sponsored

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I'm kind of in the same position. I love the more aggressive look of the Rubicon but don't need all the offroad bells and whistles. Most of the things I like about it are cosmetic - color matched fender option, black grill/headlight inserts, LEDs, 33in tires - all of which I plan to do to my Sport S. The hood is also nice but I know that'll be expensive. Maybe a few years down the road I'll find one off a junkyard JL.

I'm not trying to fool anybody in to thinking I have a Rubicon, I just like some of the smaller details and couldn't justify the jump in price from Sport to Rubicon for things I know I can easily change myself later on.

citzen z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Liberty (Daily Driver), 2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Amateur Astrophysicist and new Jeep Enthusiast
I struggled over that myself. but I think the best thing is getting the sport and trading it in for the rubicon a couple years from now

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I struggled over that myself. but I think the best thing is getting the sport and trading it in for the rubicon a couple years from now
Yes that and or there may be a special edition like the Willy's Wheeler that gives you the look you want without all the rock crawling options that you don't need.

This is my plan. IF they release a special edition that I really like AND it comes in a color that grabs me, I'll trade up. Only reason I would do this is because of the crazy resale value Jeep holds. If it depreciated like all the other vehicles out there I would just enjoy what I have and drive it into the ground.

OP
OP
Jeep4Life0112

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Now I am considering purchasing a used 2016 JKU Sport (17k miles, $29k dealer offer) and driving that for 1 year before trading in for my dream JLU Rubicon rig. Seems like a decent way to get myself into a wrangler immediately. Anyone here know if that is a good deal, and how much I could expect to trade in for in 1 year if I add 20k miles to it? Just curious how much I stand to loose on this plan.

Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Now I am considering purchasing a used 2016 JKU Sport (17k miles, $29k dealer offer) and driving that for 1 year before trading in for my dream JLU Rubicon rig. Seems like a decent way to get myself into a wrangler immediately. Anyone here know if that is a good deal, and how much I could expect to trade in for in 1 year if I add 20k miles to it? Just curious how much I stand to loose on this plan.
Not knowing if it has any options and if you are talking about a stripped down Sport or a Sport S makes a difference. Would need some more detail but I know that 29K sounds a bit high. Give some more details on model / options.

ccarrico29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU Polar Edition
Are you looking at Odaniel or Glenbrook? Glenbrook treated me very well on my JKU and my potential JLU. If you're interested in a Hydro, mine is for sale (Southwest Fort Wayne). :giggle:

OP
OP
Jeep4Life0112

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Than

Thanks for the feedback. This one is at O'Daniel. Here is the link:

http://www.odanielauto.com/used/Jee...nlimited-30e4043f0a0e0adf066f1de5ce5f1660.htm
In their included options they list the Sport S package options but that is not a Sport S. That is a pretty basic Sport model which is fine.

That model was MSRP around 33K. When bought new it probably sold for 31K to 32K maybe less. My guess is taking that on trade in they probably gave 23K to 24K on trade in.

I would offer them 26K if it was me and pay no more than 27K. But if it was me at that price I would spend a little more and just go look for a brand new 2018 JK on a lot they are motivated to sell.
Sponsored