Rubicon Dreams on a Sport S Budget

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
I am absolutely in love with the exterior design of the 2018 JLU Rubicon but at this point in my life can realistically only afford a Sport S. My question for the forum is how feasible/costly would it be to modify a Sport S to look like a Rubi by leveraging take-off parts from other Jeep owners? I am basically looking to replicate the entire look (excluding the "Rubicon" decals - I may be lame, but I'm not THAT lame). How much should I expect to pay to acquire the following over the next 1-2 years?
  • Stock Rubicon wheels with included 33" tires
  • Steel bumper
  • Stock LED headlights/taillights
  • Vented hood
  • Black grill/headlamp inserts
My assumption is that the stock Rubicon wheels/tires will fit perfectly on the Sport S without the need of a lift. My plans for off-roading are light with occasional forest trails requiring minimal articulation. Is this a correct assumption? Will the axles on the Sport S support the use of these larger tires given the lighter off-roading I may be doing?

I am also assuming that if I can get my hands on a bumper and grill inserts their installation would be extremely straight-forward. My biggest question is if it would even be possible to install stock Jeep LED head and taillights in the future. I have never owned a vehicle this customizable before so this is all very new to me.

I appreciate any feedback the forum can provide and am certainly jealous of all of you with a new 2018 Rubicon in your driveway, garage, or on order. Hoping that your feedback will convince me to pull the trigger on a 2018 Sport S, or to wait 3-5 years (gasp) until I can afford my dream rig.
Sponsored

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Start lurking this forum...you could get most of that from Rubi owners who upgrade. Unsure how close it will all be but I think you can get a lot of what you want.

LEDs will be toughest and you may just diy the grill insert following the info on our forum. Hood you may need to buy MOPAR or just go aftermarket if youre on a budget.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
LED and Steel Bumper you will probably have to buy MOPAR because they are options and noone would buy them just to take them off.

Hood will be difficult to find and you may have to go MOPAR and have it painted.

Wheels/Tires should be easy to find.

If you add it up you will pay more than the difference in the Sport S and the Rubicon. Easily $4,000.

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
buy a parts jeep or from people that part out racks,

there will be plenty of them parted out from copart and other sites its type.

jntrees

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport S, Ducati 899
Vehicle Showcase
I was in the same dilemma as you. I was going to order a Sport S with the Alpine system, LSD, Premium soft top, Tech group, Cold weather group and all weather floor mats for $36,034 but I can get the Rubicon with similar specs minus the Alpine group for $38,747. It's almost a no-brainer to get the Rubicon...almost.

Sponsored

txbonds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JL
Vehicle Showcase
Sort of went this route. We have a sport s that is loaded with most of the options, including aftermarket katzkins leather, but still $5k to $6k cheaper than the similar optioned rubicon’s I’ve seen. We are picking up a rubicon take off suspension, and I already installed a set of rubicon side rails. Will trade my tires out for the 285-70-17 KO2’s on my existing wheel and probably get okay trade value on my tires with a few hundred miles.

We went this route as we don’t plan to wheel it and it’s my wife’s daily driver. We want to tow it behind a motorhome and to facilitate that I ordered an LOD full width front bumper.

We will have a similar sort of look to a factory setup rubicon but for way less funds. The money saved is really what adds the lockers, sway bar disconnects, etc, to the rubicon, but we don’t care about those pieces for our use.

Last edited:

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
currently the aftermarket is playing catch up to the JL so craigslist take off parts will be rare plus there are just not that many out on the roads yet for people to take parts off of

wheels and tires will be easy to find but expect to still pay a premium people want a lot for JK wheels and tires so expect to see similar prices

hoods will probably be hard to find take off parts as it is not a common swapped part and expect to have to paint it. MOPAR is your only option now and expect a few years before crown or omix-ada to sell replacement hoods if they even do

Bumpers will be a hard find as they are a rubicon only option that people payed for you will see some will sell when they realize they don't meet their needs but still sell at a premium but best route would be look at after market there are some imho better looking bumpers out there with more functionality

the LED head lights and tail lights might be a hard find, the head lights no body is going to swap out for shittier after market versions so buy the shitty after markets or buy MOPAR, but in a few years you might see some popping up in junkyards after major crashes. The tail lights full expect them to be rare take off as again an option and if part of the safety package packed filled with sensors, though the aftermarket might step up offer some good looking solutions in time

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Honestly I would just buy what you can afford and enjoy it. Make your payments for 2 to 3 years and then trade it in on the Rubicon. You will have equity in that Sport with how these hold resale value. You then put that equity into the model you want. It seems you have never owned a Jeep and this will also allow you to see what you like / don't like. Next one you buy you will be better informed as to what you really want.

By doing this they may also then have their special edition models of one you may really like more than the current looks of the Rubicon and decide to buy that one.

If you are set however on replicating the looks and want to spend that money on a Sport what the others have said above is good advice.

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
You could always go my route. I've been saving all my money for two years and working tons of extras jobs so I can buy my Jeep with cash money. I actually will be financing 8k unless I manage to save another few thousand dollar before delivery. (8k is the least I can finance).

I'm glad I did it my way too because I'd have a JK now and drooling over the JLs wanting to upgrade.

Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I am absolutely in love with the exterior design of the 2018 JLU Rubicon but at this point in my life can realistically only afford a Sport S. My question for the forum is how feasible/costly would it be to modify a Sport S to look like a Rubi by leveraging take-off parts from other Jeep owners? I am basically looking to replicate the entire look (excluding the "Rubicon" decals - I may be lame, but I'm not THAT lame). How much should I expect to pay to acquire the following over the next 1-2 years?
  • Stock Rubicon wheels with included 33" tires
  • Steel bumper
  • Stock LED headlights/taillights
  • Vented hood
  • Black grill/headlamp inserts
My assumption is that the stock Rubicon wheels/tires will fit perfectly on the Sport S without the need of a lift. My plans for off-roading are light with occasional forest trails requiring minimal articulation. Is this a correct assumption? Will the axles on the Sport S support the use of these larger tires given the lighter off-roading I may be doing?
I believe 33 are tight under full flex/turn on sport fenders, with 32s fitting. Sounds like gearing is not low enough for even the 32s (in an optimal setup)

I wish there was a 3:73 or 4:11 option on sport S, maybe as part of the limited slip option.

Once I factor in 5 33 tires, High fenders (if trimming can't fix), 4:11s and the limited slip option the price is getting pretty close.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Rubicon wheels and tires and they do not rub at all under full lock. However, I have not fully flexed it out but looking at it I would doubt it rubs. Although I will say I think this is the going to be the max tire you can fit stock and not get rub flexing.

20180224_165907.jpg

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
If you buy a Sport you can probably find Rubicon take off wheels online here on the forum. As far as the grille and inserts, I'm sure the headlight bezel inserts and grille inserts will be available fairly soon. There will be take off rails or aftermarket ones also in a few months. If you buy a Sport just gradually build it up when you can afford to and customize it to the way you like it. Quadratec made LED headlight and tails for the JK at half the price of factory ones. The vented hood would be pricey if it's not already painted the same color.

OP
OP
Jeep4Life0112

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
I have the Rubicon wheels and tires and they do not rub at all under full lock. However, I have not fully flexed it out but looking at it I would doubt it rubs. Although I will say I think this is the going to be the max tire you can fit stock and not get rub flexing.

20180224_165907.jpg
Thanks for the photo. These look great on your Sport. Did you acquire these through this forum? How much should I anticipate paying for the same set if I am lucky enough to stumble upon them?

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the photo. These look great on your Sport. Did you acquire these through this forum? How much should I anticipate paying for the same set if I am lucky enough to stumble upon them?
I did get them from this forum. I'm seeing people listing these from as high as $1600-1800 but I haven't seen anyone actually sell any that high. I got mine for $1300. Having cash in hand talks. Also the prices will normalize the more and more JL's are bought and more parts become available.
Sponsored