Rubicon brakes on a sport

Graceme123

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S
If I am installing Rubicon take off brakes on my Sport do I need longer brake hoses for the front. I have searched the forum and was unable to find the answer. If someone who has done this can help me out that would be great. Thanks
Sponsored

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Everything I've read says you don't - you can bend something. There was a couple of threads on this.

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
I did not bend mine; I replaced my hoses instead. But, yes, it's possible to the tube where the hose connects to the caliper. Only the fronts need bending. Other people have stated success and no pulling at full flex. If bending makes your nervous and you want a backup, I can ship you my front sport hoses if you send me a packing label/slip.

OP
OP
Graceme123

Graceme123

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S
I did not bend mine; I replaced my hoses instead. But, yes, it's possible to the tube where the hose connects to the caliper. Only the fronts need bending. Other people have stated success and no pulling at full flex. If bending makes your nervous and you want a backup, I can ship you my front sport hoses if you send me a packing label/slip.
I think I will just buy new hoses then. Did you buy hoses meant for a Rubicon or something aftermarket?

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
I think I will just buy new hoses then. Did you buy hoses meant for a Rubicon or something aftermarket?
In order to get the right fittings and brackets, I went with something specific for a JL (and for a Rubicon / Sahara / Big Brakes). I believe everything aftermarket is longer and meant for lifted Jeeps, but they are typically braided stainless rather than rubber. The OEM ones are probably cheaper.

I went with Rusty's. They use Crown lines. They aren't an exact match for OEM, but they work.

Sponsored

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Oh, if you decide to replace the hoses, be careful not to cross thread the fittings when you hook it up to the tubes. It's pretty easy to if you're not careful, and the metal is not forgiving at all. I know at least one other forum member that made the same mistake I did.

OP
OP
Graceme123

Graceme123

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S
Oh, if you decide to replace the hoses, be careful not to cross thread the fittings when you hook it up to the tubes. It's pretty easy to if you're not careful, and the metal is not forgiving at all. I know at least one other forum member that made the same mistake I did.
Thanks for the hint. I will probably order the Rubicon hoses from my dealership tomorrow. Hopefully I will have them in a few days so that I can install them this weekend.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Do you need caliper brackets or do they just bolt up to the sport mounts?

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Oh wow, didn't know the Sport had different brakes. It looks like the big difference is the front calipers are dual piston instead of single. Sadly still not a nice set of brembos though.

Edit: Now I'm looking at big brake kits and drooling. ARGH! That's a $5k mod too. But " At 50 mph we had 104 ft braking distance with stock brakes. The Alcon Brakes we were able to stop the Jeep at a 61 foot braking distance (best run) at 50mph. " .... hnnggg I could use that.

Edit edit: Sorry for going off topic >>

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Oh wow, didn't know the Sport had different brakes. It looks like the big difference is the front calipers are dual piston instead of single. Sadly still not a nice set of brembos though.

Edit: Now I'm looking at big brake kits and drooling. ARGH! That's a $5k mod too. But " At 50 mph we had 104 ft braking distance with stock brakes. The Alcon Brakes we were able to stop the Jeep at a 61 foot braking distance (best run) at 50mph. " .... hnnggg I could use that.

Edit edit: Sorry for going off topic >>
hehe, yeah. There are also larger front rotors in the Mopar BBK. Can't recall if the rears are different.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
hehe, yeah. There are also larger front rotors in the Mopar BBK. Can't recall if the rears are different.
The rears are the same diameter IIRC but they are thicker, so should be better for fade resistance.
Sponsored