First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport, 1954 CJ3B
Occupation
HVAC
I'm fortunate to have a spouse that supports the completely nonsensical cost of tons for the Jeep, and she's even gonna help with the install after deployment!

I think going the UD44 route or PR44 route is the right call over the stock axle, if you're upgrading a sport. I think it's probably a bit lucky that I haven't had any issues with the stock front axle/FAD, but I also wheel with an understanding of what my limitations are and don't put myself in spots where those things are even more susceptible.
Donā€™t get me wrong mine is to an extent, just not a 30k extent.

at least we both got packages today so now weā€™re even.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Axle swap in worth it? image
Sponsored

OP
OP
JLanesey

JLanesey

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport, 1954 CJ3B
Occupation
HVAC
Things learned for anyone else buying axles online;

ebay is a good option used seller ā€œpredator offroadā€ out of California. Axles were on a truck the next day and I had them two days later. Seamless for the UD44.

used mopar dealer ā€œbam auto partsā€ out of Ohio. They got my order shipped within a week and had the rear in stock. Front they did not have. I would be weary of using them again only due to it being impossible to get someone on the phone and they only sporadically answer emails. Rear came but Iā€™d go with whoever is cheapest at the time.

Dont bother calling local friendly dealerships. They tried to add thousands to the online prices.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
If money were no object.
Personally the UD44 is plenty up front. However, I am doing a semi-float rear swap. Going all in on one-tons is quite the investment because almost everything has to be done at once and suddenly youā€™re out over $20k (over half the cost of my Jeep OTD from the dealer). I canā€™t throw around that kind of money in one shot without impacting my other budget lines severely. But a few k here, a few k there spread out over a couple years is more feasible (and palatable).
Maybe when I retire Iā€™ll convert to full floats. That first check usually has a pile of backpay!
I'm with you on that one actually. My end goal for my Wrangler is to be a full-blown rock crawler. I don't plan on getting to that level for at least another 20 years.

šŸ˜ šŸ˜Ž

OP
OP
JLanesey

JLanesey

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport, 1954 CJ3B
Occupation
HVAC
Heads up, the metalcloak qdc wonā€™t work with the UD44. There is a vestigial bracket you can cut off if you donā€™t need it. I think itā€™s a steering stabilizer bracket. I havenā€™t cut it yet. It prevents install. Even if you cut it you might have to grind some welds.
the Rock Jock Currectlync system came with a relocation bracket for the stabilizer, hopefully that helps with the QDC situation. I did see that some of the other systems require Cutting the bracket.

Metalcloak also called putting my skid plate order together. Was a little surprised at a 3 week ship time on a pretty simple product, but Iā€™m sure with tax season and us maniacs they are full tilt. I do metalwork as part of my trade and considered fabbing my own, with no lift at home it didnā€™t seem like a ā€œgoodā€ project.

OP
OP
JLanesey

JLanesey

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport, 1954 CJ3B
Occupation
HVAC
Rear is in! Did it myself in 4-5 hours, dirt driveway didnā€™t make it easy and I spent an hour making sure I liked the jack stands.

All went smooth, minus drive side e-brake cable being 1/2ā€ short now. Wondering if relocating below crossmember will help but I need more cable not so much the length on the main tube.

Diesel / Tractor mechanic in town did the regear to 4.88 I provided master kit and gears and labor wasnā€™t bad.

Will probably tackle the front tomorrow if itā€™s another decent day here in CT after workā€¦

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Axle swap in worth it? A4AC1D25-6072-4E5E-839F-7E8710801E86

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLanesey

JLanesey

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport, 1954 CJ3B
Occupation
HVAC
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Axle swap in worth it? B86EC0BF-C68C-445F-B0BE-A6E53091C852
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Axle swap in worth it? 6A1E32CC-9D98-4CF1-ABFA-FB18F64DA01B
Both axles in! Not gonna lie by myself it took a lot of time, wouldnā€™t be a bad project on a lift PIA on the ground though.

I made a panel for the switches thatā€™s wired in series with SPOD switches, I did it this way so if my wife and kids decide to take the jeep out I donā€™t have to worry about accidental locker engagement.

OP
OP
JLanesey

JLanesey

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport, 1954 CJ3B
Occupation
HVAC
Completion pics: thanks for the discussion and insight.

MC undercloak shipped today and Tom woods front and rear d/s ordered.

I think itā€™s almost ready for testing. Most definitely feels snappier on the road with the 4.88s the ride is much better but hard to attribute it to the ball joints or the new steering.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Axle swap in worth it? F95B3FB3-2C4D-49CB-87DD-058F3B1E54A5
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Axle swap in worth it? 8CD74412-632A-4897-9844-1D6259A7AA15

OP
OP
JLanesey

JLanesey

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport, 1954 CJ3B
Occupation
HVAC
Note: with UD44 axle install, some have said the bottom coil isolaters donā€™t fit and are going direct to the steel, I found if you trim the little locator knob off the bottom they push right over the buckets. The end up a little oblong when you do this but with the weight and tension on the coils they look like they settled in nicely.

Anyone know if the little aluminum spacers on the rear axle are necessary ? Iā€™ve never seen them on anything else.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Axle swap in worth it? image

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Both axles in! Not gonna lie by myself it took a lot of time, wouldnā€™t be a bad project on a lift PIA on the ground though.
It's a little work, but that feeling afterwards of getting it done is pretty nice, eh?

OP
OP
JLanesey

JLanesey

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport, 1954 CJ3B
Occupation
HVAC
It's a little work, but that feeling afterwards of getting it done is pretty nice, eh?
Tired for sure, I had a light work week and the weather bluffed on day one and gave me confidence, once I was committed the temp dropped but oh well!!! More motivation to build a real shop one of these days.
Sponsored