First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport, 1954 CJ3B
Occupation
HVAC
I can’t be the only one still holding off on buying axles and when you search the forum your own thread pops up right?

About to pull the trigger on axles this week, anyone recently purchase and get a good deal?

I’ve found a few sets of takeoff axles but none close enough to make it hard to say no to. My other worry is something that’s already been abused or not is a big risk to take. I might save a grand on buying new but if they have problems or grenade they will cost more in the long run.

Shopping list:
Front assembly
Rear assembly
E locker harnesses
truss kit.

Will truss the axles before installation, will likely do RCVs and Reid knuckles in future but I’d rather put some wear on the OEM stuff and put that money towards transfer case
Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I can’t be the only one still holding off on buying axles and when you search the forum your own thread pops up right?

About to pull the trigger on axles this week, anyone recently purchase and get a good deal?

I’ve found a few sets of takeoff axles but none close enough to make it hard to say no to. My other worry is something that’s already been abused or not is a big risk to take. I might save a grand on buying new but if they have problems or grenade they will cost more in the long run.

Shopping list:
Front assembly
Rear assembly
E locker harnesses
truss kit.

Will truss the axles before installation, will likely do RCVs and Reid knuckles in future but I’d rather put some wear on the OEM stuff and put that money towards transfer case
I'm not sure about the Rubicon wiring harness stuff. I'm 95% done with this swap myself (on the front) starting with a bare stripped rubicon housing so I put air lockers in mine. 2 things you'll need for sure are the rubicon drag link and tie rod. For me (coming from a Sport) the track bar was the same.

LiVinIt

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sport S
I’m finishing up a swap now.
I bought a set off a 23 that came right off the lot. It had brakes, brake lines, tie rod and drag link.
Also did a lift and Rubi fenders at the same time. Hopefully it’ll be back on the road this weekend.

OP
OP
JLanesey

JLanesey

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport, 1954 CJ3B
Occupation
HVAC
Nice! I saw one of those deals a few months back but I slept on it , now it’s looking like best route just to buy new.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Nice! I saw one of those deals a few months back but I slept on it , now it’s looking like best route just to buy new.
What are you planning on buying new?.. Dana 60 or equivalent?

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLanesey

JLanesey

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport, 1954 CJ3B
Occupation
HVAC
I’m just looking to upgrade to rubicon axles from sport. I’m running Clayton 3.5, 37s etc right now on stock sport axles.

Here in New England the trails are tight and 37s, geometry correction lift and lockers are about all I’ll ever need. With trusses I figure I can be into a set of brand new D44s with e lockers for +\- 5k. If I baby them they should last a bit and make this thing unstoppable.

Last bit will be the t case and I’m in a stripped down rubi at a fraction of the cost.

People think it’s cool that I don’t have power windows or locks haha “vintage”. Most new cars wipe your ass for you now a days.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I’m just looking to upgrade to rubicon axles from sport. I’m running Clayton 3.5, 37s etc right now on stock sport axles.

Here in New England the trails are tight and 37s, geometry correction lift and lockers are about all I’ll ever need. With trusses I figure I can be into a set of brand new D44s with e lockers for +\- 5k. If I baby them they should last a bit and make this thing unstoppable.

Last bit will be the t case and I’m in a stripped down rubi at a fraction of the cost.

People think it’s cool that I don’t have power windows or locks haha “vintage”. Most new cars wipe your ass for you now a days.
Just swapped mine at the beginning of the year. Rubi axles with lockers, trussed and gusset with fad skid plate, reid knuckles, rcv shaft with fad, spicer chromoly rear shaft, Dana avantek diff covers, Dynatrac ball joints and Steersmarts Yeti tie rod. My Yeti drag link I already had worked fine and I already had the HD brakes.

…I’m in a stripped down rubi at a fraction of the cost.
Exactly

OP
OP
JLanesey

JLanesey

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport, 1954 CJ3B
Occupation
HVAC
One of our forum sponsors hit me back with a quote but it was higher than I expected and looks like gladiator axles I was quoted. hopefully the wrangler ones are a little less. I assumed the only difference was the rear brackets on the gladiator.

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I was able to score a set of 392 Axle take offs for nut JLU Sport. They had 8” miles on them. Paid $3600 for the set, came with everything, brakes, rotors etc
I regeared them to 4.88 for my 37’s and had a Lasfit Switch bank installed. Think with the regear and switch install plus the axles I paid a total of $5900. Best mod I’ve done so far.

OP
OP
JLanesey

JLanesey

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport, 1954 CJ3B
Occupation
HVAC
I saw a deal like this in CT a few months ago and slept on it. If I can’t find new for less that 5k, I’m going to stay vigilant and wait it out I suppose.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLanesey

JLanesey

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport, 1954 CJ3B
Occupation
HVAC
I was able to score a set of 392 Axle take offs for nut JLU Sport. They had 8” miles on them. Paid $3600 for the set, came with everything, brakes, rotors etc
I regeared them to 4.88 for my 37’s and had a Lasfit Switch bank installed. Think with the regear and switch install plus the axles I paid a total of $5900. Best mod I’ve done so far.
It’s been slim pickings I found a set of low mile 392 take offs from a salvage yard but the whole setup they are asking 5200 shipped. That would include the tie rod and front and rear brakes but I’m a little leery of purchasing axles from a 392 that may have been in a high speed collision without being able to at least get eyes on them. They are from
Seperate vins which are actually only a few hundred or so numbers apart.

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s been slim pickings I found a set of low mile 392 take offs from a salvage yard but the whole setup they are asking 5200 shipped. That would include the tie rod and front and rear brakes but I’m a little leery of purchasing axles from a 392 that may have been in a high speed collision without being able to at least get eyes on them. They are from
Seperate vins which are actually only a few hundred or so numbers apart.
I would be leery about that as well. They cone and go in spurts. There were a few that came up before I was able to buy them when I was ready none for awhile. Just wait for a better deal. They are out there. Best of luck to you!

OP
OP
JLanesey

JLanesey

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport, 1954 CJ3B
Occupation
HVAC
I would be leery about that as well. They cone and go in spurts. There were a few that came up before I was able to buy them when I was ready none for awhile. Just wait for a better deal. They are out there. Best of luck to you!
Story of my life, the last good set I saw on marketplace were only an hour away but I didn’t have play cash at the time!

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Story of my life, the last good set I saw on marketplace were only an hour away but I didn’t have play cash at the time!
You’ll get a good set for a great deal I’m sure 🤙🏼🤙🏼

OP
OP
JLanesey

JLanesey

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport, 1954 CJ3B
Occupation
HVAC
Bit the bullet and ordered a set of brand new axles from a dealer online. 4800 shipped, but I’ll at least know they have never been abused.

As soon as I figure out how long it’s going to take for these things to ship I’m going to order brakes and steering.

Considering trussing the front but a little scary welding to a brand new axle…..
Sponsored