Rubicon 4xe suspension installed on Sahara 4xe

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
I’ve been thinking of swapping my stock Sahara 4xe suspension to the Rubicon 4xe suspension for a while now and finally came across a set. The original owner had a Rubicon 4xe with steel bumper, hardtop, and tow package. Here’s pics of the part numbers on the springs.

Front driver 68253667AD
Front passenger 68253667AD
Rear driver 68481302AC
Rear passenger 68481303AB

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 4xe suspension installed on Sahara 4xe 262439DA-AB3A-4A0A-8B83-E0A8D3F71F8C

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 4xe suspension installed on Sahara 4xe 494C1B97-29E5-49DC-9E14-E81494703443

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 4xe suspension installed on Sahara 4xe 17E53E56-E75A-4E89-BC3F-6E9A17747074

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 4xe suspension installed on Sahara 4xe 541EDFB7-80BF-4ED2-A732-4B7CA1F90BCF

I’m familiar with working on cars (simple mods and maintenance), but I’ve never worked on suspension before. The install was straightforward and made simple after reading threads on this forum and watching videos on YouTube. This one thread was the most helpful to me, but I’m sure there are others that I may have not come across. It has links to other threads with info and torque values for all fasteners involved with this install.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/

I swapped in the shocks and springs from the Rubicon 4xe. I installed the longer Mopar lower control arms (from the Mopar lift kit), longer Mopar sway bar endlinks (also from the Mopar lift kit) to the rear sway bar and moved the stock rear sway bar endlinks to the front. Front and rear sway bars are properly angled up slightly.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 4xe suspension installed on Sahara 4xe B67BE426-FCAB-4E8C-B9DA-690554DC0ADC

I took measurements of the fender lip height directly above and in line with the wheel center cap before and after the suspension swap. My Jeep is a 2021 Sahara 4xe with plastic bumpers, hardtop, and tow package. My wheels are stock Rubicon 4xe 17” wheels and 33” KO2’s, tire pressure set to 34 psi.

Stock Sahara 4xe suspension
Front 37 1/8”
Rear 38”

Rubicon 4xe suspension (immediately after install)
Front 39 1/2”
Rear 39”

Rubicon 4xe suspension (this morning, 12 hours after install)
Front 39 1/4”
Rear 38 1/2”

As you can see, the suspension is settling and hopefully won’t settle any more. I’ll check it again in a few days to see if there is any additional change. The biggest change is obviously to the front, eliminating the front rake my Jeep had and handling felt like stock during my test drive. Overall I’m very satisfied with the upgrade and would recommend it to anyone looking for a mild lift to eliminate the factory rake. I very much appreciate everyone on the forum all the information you share. I hope the info in this thread is able to help someone else.

A few comments I feel are beneficial to note. Probably obvious to most, but good info to know beforehand.
  • Make sure you start with the rear suspension first so you can move the stock rear endlinks to the front once you replace the rear endlinks with the longer Mopar lift kit endlinks.
  • When lifting the front end onto jackstands, lift from the pumpkin and place the jackstand under the driver side frame. Since the pumpkin is off center, you may not get enough lift from your floor jack to get the passenger side onto the jackstand. I had to move my floor jack to the passenger side frame to be able to put the jackstand under the passenger side frame.
  • To reinstall the new springs, lower the axle as far as you can without stretching the brake lines. It helps to have a second person push down on the rotor while you slightly compress the spring by hand by pushing up on the spring. This should help clear the lower spring seat without having to use a spring compressor.
  • To install the new LCAs, start by securing the rear bolt first (hand tight). Since the Mopar LCAs are a tad bit longer than stock, you will need to raise/lower the axle from the pumpkin in order to align the front bolt hole. I recommend having a second person to slowly raise the axle with the floor jack while you watch the bolt hole until it aligns correctly.

Before:
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 4xe suspension installed on Sahara 4xe B2E5F69E-E5E0-45AC-8312-CFA31E172C47

After:
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 4xe suspension installed on Sahara 4xe 8D80C47C-AEE2-4B20-971F-6FA382F9C112
Sponsored

Last edited:

Senrusho

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xE Robicon
If anyone else is thinking about doing this, hit me up. I have my takeoffs from doing the metalcloak GC lift.

CG07SUT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR-LE
Chris,

Resurrecting the old thread. By any chance, do you know what the spring numbers were on your 4Xe originally? I’ve done a bunch of searching and found the thread on spring numbers, but the chart does not have any 4Xe data. I’ve located a few sets of springs, not sure if they’d net any lift over my current setup or not. Mine is a 21 HA with SOT, plastic bumpers and no tow, my numbers are matching side to side, 3661AD Fronts and 3671AA Rears. I’d like to pick up about an inch

CG07SUT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR-LE
I just saw your for sale thread on the original suspension, guess I’m even more confused now. Looks like the normal higher number equating to taller may not hold true, looks like your old were 672AA and 660AD. Appears that yours was very similar to my current. I may just search for the same part numbers as what you bought, should net something very similar.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Getmadboy

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
I just saw your for sale thread on the original suspension, guess I’m even more confused now. Looks like the normal higher number equating to taller may not hold true, looks like your old were 672AA and 660AD. Appears that yours was very similar to my current. I may just search for the same part numbers as what you bought, should net something very similar.
That’s interesting. Have you parked next to and compared against a stock 4xe Sahara? It’s been said time and time again here on the forums that the 4xe Sahara sits at the ICE Rubicon height, which is about an inch taller than an ICE Sahara. The way I’m thinking of it is if the 4xe Sahara is about an inch taller than the ICE Sahara, then then ICE Sahara would gain more than an inch with the 4xe Sahara suspension since the 4xe is about 700lbs heavier. 🤷‍♂️

CG07SUT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR-LE
I have not parked next to other stock jeeps to compare, I left off that mine is a 4Xe HA. I did find some 667AD’s, but the 302/303 is where my confusion came in. Like I stated above, the charts already posted are for ICE versions, no 4Xe’s are noted. It appears that you gained about 2” in the front and 1/2” in the rear. The setup I found were 667’s and 74AA’s. Since my rears are 671AA’s, logic where the higher the number nets taller/stiffer would tell me this may be similar to your 302/303’s for the rear. Worth a shot given the one’s I found are from a Rubi 4Xe.

OP
OP
Getmadboy

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
I have not parked next to other stock jeeps to compare, I left off that mine is a 4Xe HA. I did find some 667AD’s, but the 302/303 is where my confusion came in. Like I stated above, the charts already posted are for ICE versions, no 4Xe’s are noted. It appears that you gained about 2” in the front and 1/2” in the rear. The setup I found were 667’s and 74AA’s. Since my rears are 671AA’s, logic where the higher the number nets taller/stiffer would tell me this may be similar to your 302/303’s for the rear. Worth a shot given the one’s I found are from a Rubi 4Xe.
It’s worth noting that my Sahara 4xe has a hard top and tow package. The Rubicon 4xe that I got my suspension from had a hard top, tow package, and steel bumpers so that may be why my front end got such a big bump. It worked out for me though because the larger gain in the front helped eliminate the factory rake for me and my jeep sits level now.
Sponsored