Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
  • Banned
Maybe they finally dialed in the factory steering geometry(?). or possibly low expectations from all the doom and gloom about the highway ride in all the reviews, I was expecting a tedious 4 hour drive home. It turns out the 4xe has decent enough highway manners, even up to 80mph (but most relaxing at 70-75). I used max regen and e-save the whole way home 250 miles, mostly highway. I have 85% battery left after 4 hours. the mpg was dreadful as expected. I did not reduce the air pressure from the factory 41 psi, to preserve mpg and tire life. If it turned out to be awful I would have aired down a bit, but it was not needed.

Only a slight play of about an inch in the steering in this this passing maneuver .

(disclaimer: I had to do this excessive speed to avoid erratic traffic near to me to avoid collision. I slowed down to 70mph immediately after. I do not condone exceeding the speed limit)

Sponsored

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I had the same feelings on my 21 rubicon. I was expecting crap, but was very surprised by how tight and little wonder it had. Makes me hesitant to mod the suspension for fear of messing up a good thing.

OP
OP
FloridaLarry

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
  • Banned
I had the same feelings on my 21 rubicon, I was expecting crap, but was very surprised by how tight and little wonder it had. Makes me hesitant to mod the suspension for fear of messing up a good thing.
Agreed, I was expecting a white knuckled death ride. The test drive 2 months back (regular Rubicon) was around the block so all I had were the reviews and this forum for guidance on highway behavior.

Austin23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
The key to happy birthdays (and Jeep steering) = low expectations. I'll ditto above. 2020 Rubicon and the steering has been straight as an arrow since day 1. With stock suspension and 35's, it still tracks right down the highway.

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
I wonder if having a lower center of gravity (700 lbs battery on center floor of frame) actually helps it’s road manners. Feels less boxy than my JK to me, and more stable at highway speeds.

Sponsored

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe they finally dialed in the factory steering geometry(?). or possibly low expectations from all the doom and gloom about the highway ride in all the reviews, I was expecting a tedious 4 hour drive home. It turns out the 4xe has decent enough highway manners, even up to 80mph (but most relaxing at 70-75). I used max regen and e-save the whole way home 250 miles, mostly highway. I have 85% battery left after 4 hours. the mpg was dreadful as expected. I did not reduce the air pressure from the factory 41 psi, to preserve mpg and tire life. If it turned out to be awful I would have aired down a bit, but it was not needed.

Only a slight play of about an inch in the steering in this this passing maneuver .

(disclaimer: I had to do this excessive speed to avoid erratic traffic near to me to avoid collision. I slowed down to 70mph immediately after. I do not condone exceeding the speed limit)

What was the mpg?

On our 202 JLUR with the 2.0T we get over 20.

OP
OP
FloridaLarry

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
  • Banned
What was the mpg?

On our 202 JLUR with the 2.0T we get over 20.
16 mpg for first 250 miles. In e-save mode, mpg is crapolla... the engine revs a bit higher because there is zero battery assist. The little 2.0T is hauling an extra 700 lbs of dead weight. And 70-80mph doesn't help.

elinopaido

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 4Xe
I just did FL to NY and averaged 75 MPH @ 20 mpg. I tried it on the way down, using E save to hold charge, then to charge up the battery. On the way up I started with a full charge and let it do its own thing on Hybrid mode. The only mode that seemed to make the mileage a little worse was charging, but nothing significant on a long trip. By the way incase anyone is curious, there is a speed limiter at 98 MPH on the Rubicon. Not that I speed, but had to test it out. I cant wait for DiabloSport to release the tuner that allows you to remove limiters.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FloridaLarry

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
I just did FL to NY and averaged 75 MPH @ 20 mpg. I tried it on the way down, using E save to hold charge, then to charge up the battery. On the way up I started with a full charge and let it do its own thing on Hybrid mode. The only mode that seemed to make the mileage a little worse was charging, but nothing significant on a long trip. By the way incase anyone is curious, there is a speed limiter at 98 MPH on the Rubicon. Not that I speed, but had to test it out. I cant wait for DiabloSport to release the tuner that allows you to remove limiters.
The limiters are always for the tires. These K02s have 99mph rating. You sure you want to tune that limiter out?

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
16 mpg for first 250 miles. In e-save mode, mpg is crapolla... the engine revs a bit higher because there is zero battery assist. The little 2.0T is hauling an extra 700 lbs of dead weight. And 70-80mph doesn't help.
You still get battery/electric motor assist in eSave mode. You're never just on the ICE, it's always a hybrid regardless of which mode you have it in.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
To be fair, my 22.6 MPG is in the Sahara and it was on the stock wheels and tires, before I swapped over the 392 takeoffs.

elinopaido

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 4Xe
The limiters are always for the tires. These K02s have 99mph rating. You sure you want to tune that limiter out?
I never said the KO2s were going to stay on the Jeep... :) By the time Diablo gets the tuner ready Q1 of 22, I will be on different shoes.

OP
OP
FloridaLarry

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
You still get battery/electric motor assist in eSave mode. You're never just on the ICE, it's always a hybrid regardless of which mode you have it in.
Maybe, but this: The battery is charged by only two things; the regen braking and the engine. If the engine is charging the battery, or the battery is being maintained (not being used), how can electric motors which run on electricity get their power.

I know from butt dyno that hybrid has tons of torque when I hammer it, and e-save mode just has the rpms running high for less power.
Sponsored

Last edited: