Rubicon 4.10 gears and 35'S

Sanchese

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Rubicon, 2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon on Order
My question is on a 2021 Jeep rubicon unlimited.
What effect on driving with 35 be on the 4.10 gears and the 8 speed transmission be?
Will it cause any undue wear?
Sponsored

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
What effect on driving with 35 be on the 4.10 gears and the 8 speed transmission be?
Any time you add more resistance you risk decreasing life span. with that said how much depends on your driving habits on-road and offroad, how much more resistance, etc.

SnowDog

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My understanding is that Jeep designed the Rubicon to handle 35s without modification. So you should be fine. I have them without other suspension mods. Here at high altitude in Colorado I see 8th gear less frequently but otherwise I don't really notice a difference in performance and have not had any wear related issues in the two plus years I've had 35s.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Minimal, don't worry about it. There are quite a few people running the 4.10's on 37's and are happy. When paired with the Auto, you will benefit from a reprogram in tire size to help shift points. If you're going to throw money at a regear or steering changes, I'd recommend you wait until you go bigger in tires (like 37" or 1 tons with 40's).

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
38x13.5's here on my 2.0/8-speed combo, and still have the factory 4.10's. It lost just a noticeable amount of pep, but nowhere near feeling the need to regear. Shorter gearing without increasing the diameter of the ring gear = less surface contact in the carriers gear mesh due to the smaller diameter pinion gear. The small amount of lost performance isn't worth trading it for a weaker gear set, in my opinion.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 4.10 gears and 35'S 20210731_082555

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sanchese

Sanchese

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Rubicon, 2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon on Order
Thanks Guys.
Just wanted to make sure before going to 35's.

Beaching631

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, Manual, 35" & Fuel Coverts
38x13.5's here on my 2.0/8-speed combo, and still have the factory 4.10's. It lost just a noticeable amount of pep, but nowhere near feeling the need to regear. Shorter gearing without increasing the diameter of the ring gear = less surface contact in the carriers gear mesh due to the smaller diameter pinion gear. The small amount of lost performance isn't worth trading it for a weaker gear set, in my opinion.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 4.10 gears and 35'S 20210731_082555
Hey Mike,
Have you noticed poorer performance on the beach? This was my first summer with the 35/12.5 tires instead of the stock 33s. I did fine on Smith Point, but the Jeep drove like crap on Shinnecock last Tuesday. Have you noticed any issues? If not, wondering if its the manual. 1st gear is ok but it dies in the sand on the shift to 2nd.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Mike,
Have you noticed poorer performance on the beach? This was my first summer with the 35/12.5 tires instead of the stock 33s. I did fine on Smith Point, but the Jeep drove like crap on Shinnecock last Tuesday. Have you noticed any issues? If not, wondering if its the manual. 1st gear is ok but it dies in the sand on the shift to 2nd.
I know the manuals aren't as friendly to larger tire sizes as the automatic is, but I see you have a Rubi with 4.10's and 35's aren't a big size jump.

Does it feel like traction control is kicking in and cutting engine power? Pressing and holding the traction control button for 5 seconds is supposed to fully kill the nannies. Otherwise, just tapping the button only desensitizes traction control.

If not the nannies, my next thought would be the combination of the 3.6, manual, and soft ground that is like driving around while dragging the brakes. The 3.6 is a higher rpm engine, while the manual has a reportedly tall 1st gear. Adding a taller tire into the mix of a higher rpm engine mated to a tall 1st geared tyranny and being driven on soft ground, I'd say that you'd have to compensate by revving it higher before pulling 2nd. Shorter gears would be needed to bring it back to how it felt on 33's.

A couple of things that I must say. I haven't had a beach permit yet, because I'm just not a beach person to begin with, so I have zero experience in deeper sand. Also, I've never driven a manual JL, so I'm going off of what I've read from others. I did test drive over a few dozen different 3.6 Jeeps, so I'm familiar with their need to keep the revs up to make torque.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
35s and 4.10 gears is still a gearing advantage over 33s and 3.45 gears that my Sport has. I wonder how many people have 35s and bigger on a Sport without regearing.

frogger2020

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Wrangler JL
I have 35’s and running it at 4.10 annoyed me just enough to have it regeared to 4.56. A little loss of power and gas mileage on long trips bothered me a bit. I won’t get 37’s due to garage height so I am good to go.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
I've noticed loss of pep for sure but expected that going from stock to 35" Nittos
which are much heavier, but not enough to spend money on re-gearing that is for sure....gas mileage is like 17-18 on a good day but well worth it for looks alone:rock:

2.0 w/auto

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 4.10 gears and 35'S tempImageKC9HKI

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I ran my 3.6 / 8 speed auto Rubicon for about 14k on 35s with the stock gearing. I ended up bending my front axle in Moab and upgraded to a Spicer UD44 axle with 4.88s, so I regeared my rear to match and have put another ~6k on the Jeep since then.

Totally manageable on the 4.10s and I probably wouldn't spend the money to regear for 35s if I had other upgrades that were more pressing, but the 4.88s bring the experience back to optimal. I found myself able to score near OEM mileage again (~20 hwy) and the transmission feels more competent and quick now that you're back in the ideal ranges for the gear ratios - you feel bit more oomph. It's nice to have, but you're not gonna break anything by running 4.10s.

JeepJLU402

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S - V6 8AT - 30/44
35s and 4.10 gears is still a gearing advantage over 33s and 3.45 gears that my Sport has. I wonder how many people have 35s and bigger on a Sport without regearing.
I think a lot of people do 35’s on a Sport without regearing. I wonder if a 34 would be better for the Sport without a regear.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I think a lot of people do 35’s on a Sport without regearing. I wonder if a 34 would be better for the Sport without a regear.
I have Rubicon takeoff tires on my JLU 3.6L Sport and it seems to me to work perfectly well. I would expect that 35s wouldn't kill it. When I got the Sport it had the stock tires on it, about 31.5". At low elevations it would hold 8th gear pretty reliably at highway speeds. With the wider 33s it requires optimum conditions to hold 8th, slight uphills, higher altitude, headwinds all will cause it to drop to 7th. I think the factory gearing is set to put it right at the limit at highway speeds, probably to squeeze out as much mpg as possible.
The Rubicon with 33s on 4.10 gears is geared 12% lower than the stock Sport. You would have to put a Rubicon on 37s to get it equal to the gearing of the stock Sport.
Sure, regear if you want to, but it will work without it.

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Can’t attest to any “undue wear” but I’m running Rubi / 2.0 e-torque (4.10) with 315’s and a relatively heavy wheel set (Mopar Beadlock Capable) and no performance issues whatsoever. See 8th all the time.
Sponsored