Rubicon 4.10 gears and 35'S

Beaching631

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, Manual, 35" & Fuel Coverts
I know the manuals aren't as friendly to larger tire sizes as the automatic is, but I see you have a Rubi with 4.10's and 35's aren't a big size jump.

Does it feel like traction control is kicking in and cutting engine power? Pressing and holding the traction control button for 5 seconds is supposed to fully kill the nannies. Otherwise, just tapping the button only desensitizes traction control.

If not the nannies, my next thought would be the combination of the 3.6, manual, and soft ground that is like driving around while dragging the brakes. The 3.6 is a higher rpm engine, while the manual has a reportedly tall 1st gear. Adding a taller tire into the mix of a higher rpm engine mated to a tall 1st geared tyranny and being driven on soft ground, I'd say that you'd have to compensate by revving it higher before pulling 2nd. Shorter gears would be needed to bring it back to how it felt on 33's.

A couple of things that I must say. I haven't had a beach permit yet, because I'm just not a beach person to begin with, so I have zero experience in deeper sand. Also, I've never driven a manual JL, so I'm going off of what I've read from others. I did test drive over a few dozen different 3.6 Jeeps, so I'm familiar with their need to keep the revs up to make torque.
Thanks for the thoughts!
I do rev 1st really high before I shift to 2nd but it still dies in the sand as soon as 2nd kicks in. Last time at Shinnecock I had to drive off the beach in 1st the whole time. Does not happen at Smith Point. I think you're probably right that it's just a combination of the severely deep/soft sand on Eastern LI and the taller gears.
But nice idea on the traction control! I've never disabled it before. I'm going to try with the traction control turned off today (taking the family out on the beach today since school doesn't start until Thursday).
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Thanks for the thoughts!
I do rev 1st really high before I shift to 2nd but it still dies in the sand as soon as 2nd kicks in. Last time at Shinnecock I had to drive off the beach in 1st the whole time. Does not happen at Smith Point. I think you're probably right that it's just a combination of the severely deep/soft sand on Eastern LI and the taller gears.
But nice idea on the traction control! I've never disabled it before. I'm going to try with the traction control turned off today (taking the family out on the beach today since school doesn't start until Thursday).
Can you get it to start out in 2nd? Been a long time since I wheeled a manual, but I remember the 1-2 shift being tricky in deep sand.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
So, I turned off the traction control yesterday and now the Jeep does whatever I ask it to on the sand. Can't believe it was that obvious and easy yet it never occurred to me. Thanks everyone for the help!
Just to clarify, for both my own curiosity and the next manual owner that has a similar experience, was it remedied after tapping the traction control button that just desensitizes the safeties or holding it for 5 seconds which will fully deactivate them?

Glad it worked out for you, buddy!

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
My question is on a 2021 Jeep rubicon unlimited.
What effect on driving with 35 be on the 4.10 gears and the 8 speed transmission be?
Will it cause any undue wear?
You have received some great feedback on your first question already, so I'll address the second.

The larger diameter tire will have a small impact on driveline wear assuming you expect the same level of performance you have now; engine, transmission, driveshafts and axles will all have to work a little harder. If you accept a lower level of performance and use the accelerator the same way you do now there will be no impact on driveline wear. In either case you will go through brake pads and rotors faster. I put all this in the "no big deal" category.

But bigger tires often go hand in hand with new wheels. Factory wheels have a +44mm offset. As you reduce offset to move the tire out for clearance and looks you increase wear on wheel bearings, ball joints and steering components. In my opinion, this is negligible up to about a +25mm offset. Beyond that you have to accept increased wear as part of the tradeoff.

I should also point out that reduced offset sometimes causes handling issues; wandering, following grooves, and in extreme case "death wobble." These normally don't show up on a brand new vehicle as everything is nice and tight from the factory. But as things wear they gradually begin to surface.

I'm currently running 35x11.5 tires on factory wheels in part to avoid these issues.

Sponsored

Beaching631

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, Manual, 35" & Fuel Coverts
Just to clarify, for both my own curiosity and the next manual owner that has a similar experience, was it remedied after tapping the traction control button that just desensitizes the safeties or holding it for 5 seconds which will fully deactivate them?

I actually did try both. It worked a lot better fully deactivated

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

My '19 absolutely freaks if I fully disable -- dash lights up like a Christmas tree and I get "SERVICE" notifications for just about every system in the vehicle.

Does anyone else experience this?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
My '19 absolutely freaks if I fully disable -- dash lights up like a Christmas tree and I get "SERVICE" notifications for just about every system in the vehicle.

Does anyone else experience this?
Mine fully disables just fine, but if I try to re-enable them is when I get a similar freak out. I've just been driving around for the last several months with it disabled.

This reminds me of the story of the 2 guys that each lost an opposite leg. For years, after moving away from each other, they still met on the same day each year to buy a new pair of shoes. Funny where the mind leads. 🤣

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Hey Mike,
Have you noticed poorer performance on the beach? This was my first summer with the 35/12.5 tires instead of the stock 33s. I did fine on Smith Point, but the Jeep drove like crap on Shinnecock last Tuesday. Have you noticed any issues? If not, wondering if its the manual. 1st gear is ok but it dies in the sand on the shift to 2nd.
Yeah, I think it's the traction control. I had the same issue(s).

I see you already figured it out.
Sponsored