Sponsored

(Rubicon 4:1 Rock-Trac HD Full Time 4WD) order it or not?

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
It is more than knowing when to shift. If you are traveling on snow covered roads, you have to engage Part-Time 4WD on-and-off whenever you hit clear sections. With Full-Time you engage it and don't have to worry about it.
That's not accurate. If roads are wet or slick, which they would be in those conditions, being in 4WD is fine. There's nothing to worry about.

OP, there's no downside to full time 4WD outside of additional cost. With that said, if you haven't had or felt the need for it, you're not "missing it" either. On a personal level, I think it's a tough option to justify given it's $600-$700 and engaging in 4HI takes a split second.
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
That's not accurate. If roads are wet or slick, which they would be in those conditions, being in 4WD is fine. There's nothing to worry about.

OP, there's no downside to full time 4WD outside of additional cost. With that said, if you haven't had or felt the need for it, you're not "missing it" either. On a personal level, I think it's a tough option to justify given it's $600-$700 and engaging in 4HI takes a split second.
A lot of people have never driven a RWD vehicle and the last thing I want them doing is taking a hand off the wheel to try and get it into 4WD in an emergency situation. Lol.
No one can react as quick as an electronic signal.

Honestly, it came on mine but I never had it on my JK. Up here in the Great White North, when the roads were crappy, I just left it in 4WD. I will definitely use it this coming winter though.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon

Spot on. If the road is slop, you can keep it in 4HI and be fine. And accurate on the shift as well, considering you can put it in 4HI 45mph or less.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

I don’t know where you live, but around here roads are never evenly slick so that you can just leave it in part-time 4WD. It is called “part-time” for a reason.

This is one of those features that doesn’t seem all that important until you have it; then you wonder how you ever lived without it.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I don’t know where you live, but around here roads are never evenly slick so that you can just leave it in part-time 4WD. It is called “part-time” for a reason.

This is one of those features that doesn’t seem all that important until you have it; then you wonder how you ever lived without it.
As long as you're not doing any major turns, you can leave it in 4hi all the time if you wanted to. I did it for 5 years every winter with the JK and never had an issue. The pumpkins won't spontaneously explode.

Now start doing donuts in 4wd on a dry surface? You better be recording. Lol.

Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon

I live in New York. It doesn't matter if the roads aren't evenly slick. If the roads are wet, yet alone slick, 4WD is fine and doesn't need to be disengaged.

I've had the feature. If somebody doesn't feel comfortable without it on a Jeep, sorry but they probably shouldn't be driving in the snow to begin with.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I live in New York. It doesn't matter if the roads aren't evenly slick. If the roads are wet, yet alone slick, 4WD is fine and doesn't need to be disengaged.

I've had the feature. If somebody doesn't feel comfortable without it on a Jeep, sorry but they probably shouldn't be driving in the snow to begin with.
Here we go...whenever someone recommends a modern feature, the old “buy something else” never fails to come out on these forums.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Here we go...whenever someone recommends a modern feature, the old “buy something else” never fails to come out on these forums.
As often on forums like this, you're reading what you want to read. That was not said nor implied in any post made by me. The post you're specifically quoting is suggesting that the difference between 4WD auto and part time is miniscule. Considering you don't need to disengage 4WD in winter conditions as you wrongly stated, that's just an objective truth.

It doesn't matter if the roads aren't evenly slick. If the roads are wet, yet alone slick, 4WD is fine and doesn't need to be disengaged.

Do whatever helps your peace of mind. I'm not telling anyone how to spend their money. It doesn't change the fact that your reasoning for wanting it, is wrong and that's what I pointed out.

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The only Engine option that doesn't have ESS is the 392. The 3.6 eTorque 100% has ESS.
eTorque and (ESS) Electronic Start Stop are different systems. They are not one and the same.

I am specifically talking about the Rubicon. The sport models are available with the 3.6 ESS. 2022 Rubicons with the 3.6 are only available with the eTorque 48V mild hybrid system.

Both the 2.0 and 3.6 have a stop start system or feature for the engine. Both start and stop the engine but they work differently. ESS is not the same as eTorque. The 3.6 has eTorque which is a mild hybrid 48V system for it's start stop system. The eTorque start stop system uses a generator not a starter like the ESS system. The 2022 2.0 has the Electronic Start Stop System (ESS) which uses the traditional starter and aux 12V battery.

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
eTorque and (ESS) Electronic Start Stop are different systems. They are not one and the same.

I am specifically talking about the Rubicon. The sport models are available with the 3.6 ESS. 2022 Rubicons with the 3.6 are only available with the eTorque 48V mild hybrid system.

Both the 2.0 and 3.6 have a stop start system or feature for the engine. Both start and stop the engine but they work differently. ESS is not the same as eTorque. The 3.6 has eTorque which is a mild hybrid 48V system for it's start stop system. The eTorque start stop system uses a generator not a starter like the ESS system. The 2022 2.0 has the Electronic Start Stop System (ESS) which uses the traditional starter and aux 12V battery.
Right on

Sponsored

Vrrooom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The 4auto option is great: do it. No downsides. The cv makes the driving experience smoother. If you want 4hi, you can manually engage it. When is it ever bad to have an option that provides ease of use, additional safety, and much more convenience, without any negatives, especially at a small price like the upgrade costs.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The 4auto option is great: do it. No downsides. The cv makes the driving experience smoother. If you want 4hi, you can manually engage it. When is it ever bad to have an option that provides ease of use, additional safety, and much more convenience, without any negatives, especially at a small price like the upgrade costs.
Agreed: the full-time transfer cases are the few bargains left in the entire Jeep options list.

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The price of the Rock-Trac option is very reasonable. A bargin for the hardware. To put it in perspective. Rock-Trac is the same cost as painted fenders. $695/retail. Less if ordered for 5%-6% under invoice. Probably closer to $600 after discounts.

Boomer.93

First Name
Boomer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Unlimited JL
Had a '19 JLR and sold it. I am ordering a new 2-door Rubicon. Will be a daily driver in the City. 4 seasons, with snow. I take weekend excursions to remote fishing spots. I also plan on visiting the 4 Corners area and National parks. Mostly novice trails.

There is a new option available that was not available back in 2019. What's the consensus on the 4:1 Rock-Trac HD Full Time 4WD System available on the Rubicon?

Order it or not?

PROs and CONs?

Opinions?
I had a simililar question about the “4:1 Rock-Trac HD Full Time 4WD System” option I am looking at for a new build for future purchase. This video describes it very clearly:

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
I have it. I never drive in the snow but I still use it in the rain and on smoother dirt roads. Haven’t had any problems with it and haven't heard of anyone else having problems with it.
Sponsored