Sponsored

(Rubicon 4:1 Rock-Trac HD Full Time 4WD) order it or not?

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I thought the only engine option that didn't have ESS was the 392.
I want a Rubicon. 2021 and 2022 2.0 Rubicons have ESS. The only engine choice without ESS is the 3.6 which has eTorque.
Sponsored

Deleted member 59098

Not a JL, but my ZJ has a 242 transfer case with full time, 2hi, 4hi and 4lo. I love full time even in summer. You can floor it from a stop while making a turn and it just goes. AWD is great stuff. It's the perfect setup for snow and even worth it for just rain.

Deleted member 59098

I have the Selec-Trac on my Sahara and we get snow: I would get it.

I drove 2-door JK Rubicons in the snow when I lived in California: between the short wheelbase and the open rear diff, it took a fair bit of attention to keep it from sliding all over the road.
It didn't snow much last year, but I can agree the two door is a little sketchy in road snow. I'm going to slow way down compared to my previous vehicles during storms. My Golf R would hardly break lose even pushing pretty hard in turns. The JLR wants to do 360s.

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I debated on ordering on my JLUR - was trying to keep overall costs down. I kind of figured in snow the traction control could be a bit of a substitute to auto 4WD. In hindsight I wish I had ordered the auto 4WD. Had it in my Laramie and it did work really well on snowy roads
I will order the option this time because it's available to see how it is.

I would not loose sleep over it. My '19 JLR did not have it and we had record snow a couple of years. The Brake Lock Differental works. I had no issues other than needing to manually switch to 4High in some very deep snow and slush.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I will order the option this time because it's available to see how it is.

I would not loose sleep over it. My '19 JLR did not have it and we had record snow a couple of years. The Brake Lock Differental works. I had no issues other than needing to manually switch to 4High in some very deep snow and slush.
I figured I would be OK either way.
Also I have the V6 with eTorque, so far I like it. Much smoother that the ESS that uses the starter motor to do all the work

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
The part where it really matters is slick winter conditions when you need 4WD HI to get going but you specifically don't want 4WD HI to keep going. 4WD is detrimental to traction in higher speed (30+ MPH) turns. In slick winter conditions it can send you into an oversteer situation and send you sliding off the road. You can always shift between 2WD and 4WD yourself but 4WD Auto does it for you and will do it faster and more accurately than almost any driver.

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
If you know when to shift into 4WD, you don't need it.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I want a Rubicon. 2021 and 2022 2.0 Rubicons have ESS. The only engine choice without ESS is the 3.6 which has eTorque.
The 3.6 eTorque has ESS.

I ordered the FT 4WD. Had it on a Grand Cherokee and 2 RAMS. Love it in the winter.

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 3.6 eTorque has ESS.

I ordered the FT 4WD. Had it on a Grand Cherokee and 2 RAMS. Love it in the winter.
For 2021 and 2022 the 3.6 Rubicon is only available with a 48V eTorque start Stop system with a generator that starts the engine. The only other option for a Auto Rubicon is a 2.0T with ESS, the start stop system that uses the 12V aux battery. ESS uses a starter with a smaller aux 12V battery.

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If you know when to shift into 4WD, you don't need it.
It is more than knowing when to shift. If you are traveling on snow covered roads, you have to engage Part-Time 4WD on-and-off whenever you hit clear sections. With Full-Time you engage it and don't have to worry about it.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The part where it really matters is slick winter conditions when you need 4WD HI to get going but you specifically don't want 4WD HI to keep going. 4WD is detrimental to traction in higher speed (30+ MPH) turns. In slick winter conditions it can send you into an oversteer situation and send you sliding off the road. You can always shift between 2WD and 4WD yourself but 4WD Auto does it for you and will do it faster and more accurately than almost any driver.
^^^ this!

The Full-Time 4WD engages and disengages instantly, seamlessly and virtually imperceptibly.

Wrangler transfer cases are many good things; manually engaging them into part-time "instantly and seamlessly" they ain't...

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
The only Engine option that doesn't have ESS is the 392. The 3.6 eTorque 100% has ESS.
It's a semantics thing. They ALL (minus the 392) have a system that shuts the motor off at stops. The ones without ETorque don't call it ESS and use the 48v electric motor to start vehicle vs ESS which uses a 12V marine/motorcycle battery to engage the starter.
Jeep Wrangler JL (Rubicon 4:1 Rock-Trac HD Full Time 4WD) order it or not? Screenshot_20211027-054543_Chrome

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
When I hit a deeply flooded by irrigation screw up low spot in the country road at 4AM the back end started to come around so I stood on it and the front wheels pulled me straight. You can’t shift into 4WD in a split second emergency

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm also a big fan of the 2.0 w/ bsg in my 19 JLUR. I'd personally rather lose the bsg than the 2.0 itself. And I'm not one of those who likes to comment on an engine that I've never driven, or only drove a short amount. After driving over a few dozen 3.6's for about 20 minutes each, I'd never want one. And as much as I prefer bsg over ess, I'd still rather lose the bsg than the 2.0 itself.

Again, just my opinion and 2 cents. Congrats on your near future JLR!
Sponsored