Sponsored

(Rubicon 4:1 Rock-Trac HD Full Time 4WD) order it or not?

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I had a simililar question about the “4:1 Rock-Trac HD Full Time 4WD System” option I am looking at for a new build for future purchase. This video describes it very clearly:
I did order it. Took delivery last January. Had one winter so far. It's nice being able to set it and forget it on snow or rain. I don't miss throwing the transfer case lever back and forth betwen wet and dry roads. Very satisfied. Highly recommended!
Sponsored

First Name
Santo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Rubicon Extreme Recon
The fulltime 4WD drive option was one of the main reasons I bought the JL instead of the Tacoma. Canadian highways in the winter often have dry and snow covered patches so I will be constantly switching back and forth. There was numerous times where I will be in in 2wd and hit black ice fish tailing into a ditch. My family and I often go skiing in the mountains so having this inexpensive option is a great safety feature.

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
I bought it to never use, it’s a nice option for a 2 door since a short wheel base is squirrelly in the snow. I’ve had zero issues with 4WD and the clutches will not wear unless auto is used but tbh I regret getting it. My concern was my girlfriend driving it in the snow but now I’m not worried about that and the concerns of the complexities of the clutch and other bits associated with it seem not worth it
Sponsored