Sponsored

(Rubicon 4:1 Rock-Trac HD Full Time 4WD) order it or not?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Had a '19 JLR and sold it. I am ordering a new 2-door Rubicon. Will be a daily driver in the City. 4 seasons, with snow. I take weekend excursions to remote fishing spots. I also plan on visiting the 4 Corners area and National parks. Mostly novice trails.

There is a new option available that was not available back in 2019. What's the consensus on the 4:1 Rock-Trac HD Full Time 4WD System available on the Rubicon?

Order it or not?

PROs and CONs?

Opinions?
Sponsored

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
The question is whether you want it for on-road use, not off-road use. Off-road, you will just use 4Hi or 4Lo, as conditions warrant.

Do you frequently drive in mixed-traction conditions, like snowy roads? If so, it’s worth considering.

Ultimately, it seems like a well-engineered system and you don’t hear many reports of problems. The price is reasonable. If you think you might want it, go for it. I ordered my JL XR without it because I know my specific use condition well, but I seriously considered it before deciding.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I've used the GM 4Auto system on many a wintery drive. It's great.

I believe we have it on our 4xe that's coming mid-November, so I'll try to remember to report back.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
After reading reviews and living where there is white stuff on the ground in winter I think it's a smart buy.

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The question is whether you want it for on-road use, not off-road use. Off-road, you will just use 4Hi or 4Lo, as conditions warrant.

Do you frequently drive in mixed-traction conditions, like snowy roads? If so, it’s worth considering.

Ultimately, it seems like a well-engineered system and you don’t hear many reports of problems. The price is reasonable. If you think you might want it, go for it. I ordered my JL XR without it because I know my specific use condition well, but I seriously considered it before deciding.
Price for the option is only $695 retail / $595 discounted so very reasonable.

Typical Midwest weather. I drive in all 4 seasons. Definitely will run into some mixed-traction conditions. Last several years we have had record lake effect snow in the Chicago area. Rain in the spring also. I switched back and forth between 2WD and 4Hi and had no issues in my last JLR. It might be nice to just set it and forget it.

I figured I might order it as long as the system problem free. Just thought I would get some opinions before finalizing my order.

Sponsored

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase

Typical Midwest weather. I drive in all 4 seasons. Definitely will run into some mixed-traction conditions. Last several years we have had record lake effect snow in the Chicago area. Rain in the spring also. I switched back and forth between 2WD and 4Hi and had no issues in my last JLR. It might be nice to just set it and forget it.

I figured I might order it as long as the system problem free. Just thought I would get some opinions before finalizing my order.
Yeah, so story time: We were driving back home to Idaho from the Puget Sound area, for Christmas. It was snowing off and on throughout. This is in a 2004 Avalanche.

Around La Grande, OR it was blustery and the light, powdery snow was swirling around the freeway.

Truckers were pulling off and chaining up, trucks and cars were following suit. It was all slowing down...

Yet at 25 degrees nothing was melting. It was dry. Tons of traction still. I I popped it in 4Auto, just in case, and left it at 65.

I flew by others and you could see the cars and truck pull back out on the road behind me as if to say, "Oh shit. Must not be that bad. I'm an idiot."

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many

I think as long as you regularly inspect the rubber boots for damage, you’ll be fine. Seems like a smart buy, given your use case. The Full-time 4WD is a little like eTorque. People speculate that it will cause problems, but you rarely actually hear about them.

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
I’d go for it based on your described usage (plenty of snowy roads).

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
I think as long as you regularly inspect the rubber boots for damage, you’ll be fine. Seems like a smart buy, given your use case. The Full-time 4WD is a little like eTorque. People speculate that it will cause problems, but you rarely actually hear about them.
Yep. 99% of all vehicles have those rubber boots. They seem to have figured it out.

Sponsored

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
For a 2 door? Yes. The biggest drawback on road for Jeeps is only having 4H. Jeeps in 2wd will kick out on you on tight turns if you arent careful. Sometimes even when you are. So 2 doors with 4A would be a great option.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Selec-Trac on my Sahara and we get snow: I would get it.

I drove 2-door JK Rubicons in the snow when I lived in California: between the short wheelbase and the open rear diff, it took a fair bit of attention to keep it from sliding all over the road.

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am leaning heavily towards ordering the option.

Most of my other cars have had CV joints and boots for the last 40+ years.

I had eTorque on my last JLR 2.0 and loved it. 100% problem free. Plus most of the eTorque system is warrantied longer. Up whatever the emissions warranty is. I would order the same 2.0 eTorque again but it's not offered. I don't like the ESS Start Stop. The only way to avoid ESS is to get the 3.6 with eTorque. So I am ordering the 3.6 etorque this time. Too bad because I really like the 2.0.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I debated on ordering on my JLUR - was trying to keep overall costs down. I kind of figured in snow the traction control could be a bit of a substitute to auto 4WD. In hindsight I wish I had ordered the auto 4WD. Had it in my Laramie and it did work really well on snowy roads

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
I am leaning heavily towards ordering the option.

Most of my other cars have had CV joints and boots for the last 40+ years.

I had eTorque on my last JLR 2.0 and loved it. 100% problem free. Plus most of the eTorque system is warrantied longer. Up whatever the emissions warranty is. I would order the same 2.0 eTorque again but it's not offered. I don't like the ESS Start Stop. The only way to avoid ESS is to get the 3.6 with eTorque. So I am ordering the 3.6 etorque this time. Too bad because I really like the 2.0.
I thought the only engine option that didn't have ESS was the 392.
Sponsored