First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
I have a 2 door Rubicon, 6 speed manual, that had a vibration at highway cruising speed. It was a rhythmic vibration between 60 and 70 with the worst being at 65mph.

Has anyone else experienced this?

FCA changed the driveshaft and it's somewhat better but I still feel and hear the vibration. I can't find another 2 door Rubicon 6 speed manual to drive and compare to mine in my area (central Ohio).
Sponsored

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I'm going to ask the obvious...have the tires been checked for balance? Most speed dependent vibrations can be isolated to a tire issue.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I'm going to ask the obvious...have the tires been checked for balance? Most speed dependent vibrations can be isolated to a tire issue.
^ This

OP
OP
jeepdriver99

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
Oh yeah. The tires were rebalanced, and even other wheels and tires put on but the vibration remained. Removed the rear driveshaft and ran on the front wheel drive alone and the vibration was gone. Put the driveshaft back and the vibration came back. Swapped the driveshaft and it got better, but now I'm occasionally feeling it again, but not as severe. Took it back to the dealer and they can't feel it or reproduce it.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Interesting. Of course you got the "we can't reproduce the problem" line from the dealer. Sure sounds like a driveshaft based on it smoothing out with it off. I suppose one of the yokes could be off-center.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Could be a improper torque setting on the pinion bearing, a faulty pinion bearing, improper orientation of the CV joint on either end of the shaft, pinion angle that's out of spec, etc. Vibrations are notoriously hard to track down. I feel for you.

OP
OP
jeepdriver99

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
I drove it today and can still feel it at highway speeds. It's not violent, but it is annoying. I drive it some distances sometimes and it's annoying feeling the vibration at 65 or 70 for mile after mile. For the price it cost, it shouldn't have a vibration at cruising speed.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I drove it today and can still feel it at highway speeds. It's not violent, but it is annoying. I drive it some distances sometimes and it's annoying feeling the vibration at 65 or 70 for mile after mile. For the price it cost, it shouldn't have a vibration at cruising speed.
To be fair, driving any Wrangler at 65 MPH for miles is a tiring experience - constant steering corrections, orders of magnitude more vibration and noise than any passenger car, it's all par for the course.

I hope you get to drive another two door soon to compare.

I didn't realize how much it was taking out of me until I made my first highway trip in the vehicle I traded my Wrangler for some time ago and noticed how much more relaxed I was when I arrived.

I've stated it this way before - driving a Wrangler is Jeeping, even if you're just traveling city streets.

OP
OP
jeepdriver99

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
To be fair, driving any Wrangler at 65 MPH for miles is a tiring experience - constant steering corrections, orders of magnitude more vibration and noise than any passenger car, it's all par for the course.

I hope you get to drive another two door soon to compare.

I didn't realize how much it was taking out of me until I made my first highway trip in the vehicle I traded my Wrangler for some time ago and noticed how much more relaxed I was when I arrived.

I've stated it this way before - driving a Wrangler is Jeeping, even if you're just traveling city streets.
I guess I got used to it. I bought my first CJ in 1980 and have owned a CJ, YJ or TJ ever since and now have a JL. I guess I skipped the JK.

monsterpiece

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Same issue here. Around 60-68mph, cyclic vibration, not violent but annoying enough. It drives you crazy. Vibration is more noticeable on smooth highways in said speed range. Visited dealer twice already, had wheels balanced with road force. No cure. Scheduled another visit in two weeks, dealer said FCA recommends to change to other tires to diagnose. This is dragging for so long with this issue for a 50K JLUR....

Sponsored

OP
OP
jeepdriver99

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
Same issue here. Around 60-68mph, cyclic vibration, not violent but annoying enough. It drives you crazy. Vibration is more noticeable on smooth highways in said speed range. Visited dealer twice already, had wheels balanced with road force. No cure. Scheduled another visit in two weeks, dealer said FCA recommends to change to other tires to diagnose. This is dragging for so long with this issue for a 50K JLUR....
Is yours a manual or automatic?

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
I've had this same issue with my JLUR from day one. To me it feels like the rear drive shaft isn't properly balanced. I'll be taking it in for service in a couple of weeks, hopefully they can figure out the issue at that time.
Sponsored