Sponsored

Rubicon 1.5 longer springs....is a 2 inch lift only a 1/2 inch lift??

rx2man

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
leSabre

FrankieFJL

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
Good question, I had thought the same thing... although tire size does come into play here. But it does not account for everything. For example, just by tire size alone, The Rubicon is .7" higher than the Sport and .3" higher than the Sahara. (I think my math is correct) To further confuse matters, the Rubicon has 1.1" higher ground clearance than the Sport and .8" higher than the Sahara. Those are all greater than the tire heights, so what is it that gives the Rubicon more clearance? Is the pumpkin on the Dana 44 smaller than the others? The numbers don't add up. Would love to have someone explain this to me - SLOWLY. Haha!

Tires Sizes:
Sport 31.5" 245/75R17
Sarah 32.1" 255/70R18
Rubicon 32.8" 285/70R17

OP
OP

rx2man

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
leSabre
Not talking any other factors. Only the springs. If I understand correctly from reading the posts and people doing "budget lifts" with take off Rubicon parts the springs are 1.5 in longer than a Sport. So these 2 in lifts are not 2 in lifts for a Rubicon as advertised. They are only a half inch....

FrankieFJL

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
OK gotcha, I would think the real comparison would be to compare how high each frame is off the ground pre and the post lift.
That would show the real height of the lift.
The differing tire heights and ground clearance only confuses the matter. Don't bother comparing fender heights because we know the Rubi has higher fenders to begin with. That is where I was going with that.

Do you know of anyone measuring their frame height pre/post lift? I would be interested to see if the Rubi only got a 1/2" gain.

Pressurized

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
The Rubicon springs are not 1.5" longer than Sport springs... They are about 1/2" longer, all other things being equal. But other factors come in to play, like hard top, soft top etc. A soft top base sport will have the shortest springs and get the biggest benefit from a spring swap.

So it's fair to say that you get 1/2" less when lifting a Rubi than a sport. But there is an extra 1.5" of tire clearance due to the high clearance fenders on the Rubicon.

Sponsored

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
I have rubicon suspension parts for sale. 300 plus shipping. hardtop plastic bumper

OP
OP

rx2man

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
leSabre
The Rubicon springs are not 1.5" longer than Sport springs... They are about 1/2" longer, all other things being equal. But other factors come in to play, like hard top, soft top etc. A soft top base sport will have the shortest springs and get the biggest benefit from a spring swap.

So it's fair to say that you get 1/2" less when lifting a Rubi than a sport. But there is an extra 1.5" of tire clearance due to the high clearance fenders on the Rubicon.
From the thread below, post number 10 there is a comparison.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-vs-sport-suspension-height.4347/

In another thread that I am going to link to this one there is a discussion about Rubicons coming with a lift from the factory......and it seems they do.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-2inch-lift-so-mopar-wont-change-height.8732/

Same subject different discussions

Pressurized

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
From the thread below, post number 10 there is a comparison.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-vs-sport-suspension-height.4347/

In another thread that I am going to link to this one there is a discussion about Rubicons coming with a lift from the factory......and it seems they do.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-2inch-lift-so-mopar-wont-change-height.8732/

Same subject different discussions
Post 10, exactly what I said... Soft top sport and hard top and probably steel bumper Rubicon. That's the extreme case. All things equal it's about 1/2".

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
the mopar 2” lift nets just over 2 extra inches on a rubicon. The rock krawler 2.5” lift is also 2.5” extra on a rubicon.

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Altitude
Ok, first of all.....I am a newbie to this Wrangler show. My terminology may not qualify me as a Jeep Owner, yet. I have learned so much from reading these posts, I thought I would try to contribute a little back to the community. So, this is my experience (even though I have very little of it).

Alti:
I just completed the install of a 2021 JLU Rubicon lift on my 2020 JLU Altitude. I picked up the entire package springs/shocks/sway bars/track bar and even the Rock Sliders for $300.
Alti has no metal front or rear bumpers, winches or other heavy gear in or on the Jeep.
Installed the Falken AT3W 295 70R18 (Mfg says they are 34.3 tall and 11.9 wide), I took off 32/10s.
Had some very minor rubbing on the front LCAs at max turn, and right rear would rub when suspension was fully depressed (5 passengers and dip in the road). First test drive, appears lift solved all these rubbing issues, but have not had a full capacity of passengers.

Rubi:
The seller told me these were taken off with only 9.5 miles on them, the dealer did his lift. Clearly, they have not been broken in, so they may end up with slighly less lift than these results. Known.
The Rubi did not have metal bumpers, but had a hitch, which does not necessary mean max tow.
The Rubi Front springs were cleary taller than the Alti, and the rear were taller, but not as much so. The sway bars are 100% the same size, shape and ever the welds. Rear track bar ditto.

End result, almost 1.25" in Front, and a full 2.0" in the Rear.
The front Alti springs were 0240AD/3657AD (Driver/Pass) (Drive side spring is an interesting #)
The front Rubi springs were 3658AD/3659AD (D/P) (larger # is taller, always goes on Pass side)
The rear Alti springs were 3586AA/3587AA (D/P)
The rear Rubi springs were 3589AA/3590AA (D/P) (these do not appear to be max tow springs)
I was really hoping to get the 3591AA/3592AA springs for the rear (but, that did not happen)

The shocks on the Alti were 047AA Front/112AA Rear, and the Rubi were 430AB/434AB.

Basically, looking at the front with 2 digits higher on the Pass side and got about 1.25" of lift.
Looking at the rear with 3 pts higher for both springs and got a full 2" in lift.
Does this tell us something about the numbering for the JLU springs? Plausible.

The wish I knew before doing the lift.
1) Would have bought the .75" spacer for the front springs. My Alti is now about .75" lower in the front than the rear. Not entirely noticeable, but I know it.
2) I purchased the Mopar front LCAs used in their 2" lift thinking I would need them to correct castor. But, probably not now. They have not been delivered yet, back ordered and I just couldn't wait. Now, given #3 below, don't think I need them, or want them.
3) These springs have significantly improved the driving experience for my Jeep. To me, there is less head bob, takes bumps and pot holes much better, tracks on highway at speed way better and handles turns at speed with out dipping or rolling and not issues while braking hard. I only wish I knew this earlier and would have done this 9 months ago.

I hope this helps someone. Enjoy!

Sponsored

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I called AEV with this exact question. They add their 2.5 inch lift to their custom Rubicon builds.
His reply:

“it’s a common misconception that because the Rubicon already has taller springs, that a 2-2.5 lift will be only an inch of actual lift. This is wrong, at least for AEV. We add the 2.5 inch lift to our Rubicon builds every day. It lifts the Rubicon 2.5 inches over stock when we add our steel bumpers, winch and other mods. If you don’t put on the additional weight of these add ons, the Rubicon will ride taller than 2.5 inches over stock. We designed the lift with extra weight and handling to come in at about 2.5 inches over the stock Rubicon”
Sponsored