Rubi Transmission Options for 40s, tons, and 5.38 gears

hbskisurf

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler TJ
I’m about to pull the trigger on ordering the 21 Rubi. I’m planning to swap out the axles to the Fusion 60s with 5.38 gears and run 40s on it.

My issue now is that FCA is annoyingly making the Xtreme package mandatory for the Rubis with 3.6L 8 speed auto….which is a waste for me.

I was originally thinking about the 3.6L with manual setup but read too many good things about the new 8 speed autos.

So…my choices to avoid wasting $4k are (a) order the 3.6L manual, (b) order the 2.0L auto, or (c) wait and order the 3.6L auto once orders for MY 22 opens.

I would love opinions from you guys running 40s on tons.

thanks!
Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Why not order a non Rubicon if you’re immediately pulling the trigger on those upgrade?

OP
OP

hbskisurf

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler TJ
Ordering a Sport S was my initial plan but for the value of the Rubi takeoffs vs the Sport S the price nets out about the same and I get the Rubi transfer case.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I have the manual, and if I were going auto I'd want the 2.0 instead of the 3.6. They combo really well from everything I've seen and read. I wish someone had one that wheeled with me, but all 4 JL's are sticks.

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
In my experience the 2.0 doesnt have as many good mods available for it like the 3.6 does. For example i want a bigger gas tank, but its only available for the 3.6l.

Sponsored

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
My issue now is that FCA is annoyingly making the Xtreme package mandatory for the Rubis with 3.6L 8 speed auto….which is a waste for me.

Mandatory??? So, they take this package that a lot of us wish we had, and shove it at everyone else who doesn't care or need it? Had I known this and the 392 info 9 months ago...I'd simply have an order, not my 2021.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Are you or your buddies running 40s? What gears and do you use as DD as well as for wheeling?

I think the manual will be more fun overall…only thing holding me back is no remote start - I’m lazy and hate scraping ice every morning:(
I’m on 39’s, they’re all stock or 35’s. My regear is Thursday, so I’m still on 4.10’s. Surprisingly they are fine, both wheeling and daily driving. I want my lower crawl ratio back though, 6th gear too. I’m thinking of ordering my camaro soon, then the Jeep will only be for wheeling, precipitation, and “cold” weather when the camaro’s summers need to stay in the garage.
I’m also still on the stock D44 until I snap R&P. Hopefully not until next year, then it’s up to a 60 on that axle.

OP
OP

hbskisurf

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler TJ
I’m on 39’s…I’m still on 4.10’s. Surprisingly they are fine, both wheeling and daily driving. I want my lower crawl ratio back though, 6th gear too.
Thanks! I think 5.38s and manual should work well then if yours is still tolerable on 4.10s.

i haven’t heard of anybody running 40s with the 4LT engines…I’m worried about lack of power to move the increase in mass….would love to be proven wrong though.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Thanks! I think 5.38s and manual should work well then if yours is still tolerable on 4.10s.

i haven’t heard of anybody running 40s with the 4LT engines…I’m worried about lack of power to move the increase in mass….would love to be proven wrong though.
I think because of the turbo it would be best of all worlds. The low torque crawling at idle is good so you don’t put any driveline components under too much stress if you bind a tire. When you want more power/torque you manipulate the throttle.
Lots of vehicles are now managing massive towing loads with smaller v6 motors and forced induction, so I wouldn’t worry about 40’s on a turbo 4.

Sponsored

EJWF11

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
I have the manual, and if I were going auto I'd want the 2.0 instead of the 3.6. They combo really well from everything I've seen and read. I wish someone had one that wheeled with me, but all 4 JL's are sticks.
Drives great on the road; peppy best describes it.
But something about turbo lag (and the nightmares they turn into when they get sick) bothers me.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
You're better off getting a Sport S and at a deep dealer discount than the Rubi.
I had a Sport S with the 3.6L and auto and I went with Dynatrac XD60's with 5.13's, 40's, Adams DS's, Evo lift, and Raceline Monster Beadlocks.
I managed to order everything at once from Northridge with a pretty good discount. Came pretty close to the MSRP of a Rubicon.
The 5.13's worked great with the auto and 3.6.

I'd get the auto over a manual any day of the week. Good choice going with Fusion axles.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
You're better off getting a Sport S and at a deep dealer discount than the Rubi.
100% agree. Might as well just build up a Sport S. Then you don't have to deal with trying to sell a bunch of take-offs and he doesn't have to absorb that cost in the first place.

I had a Sport S with the 3.6L and auto and I went with Dynatrac XD60's with 5.13's, 40's, Adams DS's, Evo lift, and Raceline Monster Beadlocks.
I managed to order everything at once from Northridge with a pretty good discount. Came pretty close to the MSRP of a Rubicon.
What's your definition of "pretty close" to a Rubicon's MSRP? This statement don't make no sense to me.

I got my JLR for almost exactly $40k, or roughly $5k more than my buddy's Sport S. No way I could have bought his Sport S and built it with the parts you listed for $5k.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
100% agree. Might as well just build up a Sport S. Then you don't have to deal with trying to sell a bunch of take-offs and he doesn't have to absorb that cost in the first place.

What's your definition of "pretty close" to a Rubicon's MSRP? This statement don't make no sense to me.

I got my JLR for almost exactly $40k, or roughly $5k more than my buddy's Sport S. No way I could have bought his Sport S and built it with the parts you listed for $5k.
I got my Sport S Unlimited for like $29K OTD. The MSRP on my current JLUR is $56K and of course I paid lower than this.
Prices have risen on both Jeep and parts but it'll be somewhere around there.
I know, I made a strange comparison. Basically was just stating I built my Sport S pretty close to Rubi MSRP.

Also, I did manage to sell everything off the Sport S. I got about $2000.
Sponsored