Sponsored

Rubi springs - longest shock without unseating springs?

Nick p

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Land Rover
The more the shock is inclined the more travel you can get. Obviously it reduces the effectivness of the valving and therefore needs to be valved differently to a vertical setup.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
All right AnnDee, now you got me thinking. Every other vehicle like a Ford ranger or my rzr , the shock travels less than the actual tire. On my razor it has 16 inches front travel and 18 inches rear wheel travel. The front shock is an 8 inch stroke and the rear shock is a 12 inch stroke. So the rear is a 1.5 motion ratio. 1.5 wheel travel equals 1 inch of shock travel. 12 inch shock gives you 18 inches of travel.

I just put my tape measure on the rear Jeep frame and it’s 5.75 inches to the bump stop pad. And I marked the shock. I’m going to jack up the frame and see what it does.

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
Shit. 4 inches oh spring travel down word anyways equals 4 1/8 of shock travel.

7CB6321E-4CD7-479A-A8A1-C9BBF39B785D.jpeg

7B1B6DB0-D595-4DF3-B8B2-44A4EF74A7B6.jpeg

9F66AFF4-B978-492B-B510-A46B39FAE291.jpeg

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Yeah, it was a surprise to me too when I first realized that. I was used to double A-arm and McPherson struts where the shock and spring move less than the wheel, but a live/solid axle is a little different.

@Glamisfan thanks for actually checking, it doesn’t look like the real world results are as extreme as my calculations.

OP
OP
CptFloridaMan

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
A lot of good info here, thanks @Glamisfan

I'm still gonna be researching and the next time I do my rotation I'm gonna mess around with the rear axle and see if the springs start wanting to pop off. When I did the swap to rubi springs I didn't really think of it, but I don't recall dropping the axle too far to even install the springs.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Great info in this thread, this pic scared me a little though

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi springs - longest shock without unseating springs? 1605103774894

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
Me too. But the spring was in so it wouldn’t fall too far........

Caymanedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
There are a couple measurement you can do before you make a selection.

Shock length at rest center to center.
To get more shock travel the shocks get longer. So you can't just pick one with more travel. If it's not centered at rest you will be limited on one side of the travel. Find one that centers up for your length and see how much travel you can get.

Distance between bump stops F/R.
The upper factory bump stop compresses, not sure how much unfortunately. At stock you will have like 4.5" of travel in the front and 6" of travel in the rear, plus compression. This will limit the spring compression and ultimately the shock compression, giving you the total travel. You can add some lower bump stops if you need to limit the travel too.

I have done a ton of research on this and found that the guys at Accutune in CA are awesome to work with. They have a set-up sheet if you really want to dig into the details, plus they can valve the shocks for your liking if you don't go for adjustable shocks.

OP
OP
CptFloridaMan

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
So i’ve got a theory since I haven’t had the time to measure out the jeep.

Knowing that the falcons are about as long as the fox 2.5s… in theory the fox 2.5s for 2in lifts should be just fine when drooped out on stock rubi springs.

Not sure how good of an idea it would be to run them slightly longer and maybe throw in small a spacer to get it lifted so that the shocks are about 50% extended.
CompressedExtendedTravel
OEM Rubi front15.5723.6258.055
OEM Rubi rear17.5268.5
Falcon 3.3 sp2 0-1.5" front16.226.610.4
Falcon 3.3 sp2 0-1.5" rear 17.528.410.9
Fox 2.5 DSC(2-3) Front16.3426.5110.17
Fox 2.5 DSC(2-3) Rear17.4328.611.17

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
The biggest issue with longer shock travel is the swaybar links flipping over backwards once you flex it out. So be warned, if you go with long travel shocks like MC RockSports you will have crazy flex but you will need quick disconnects. The Rubi E disco is also useless and will just cause you grief.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
. The Rubi E disco is also useless and will just cause you grief.
Disagree……… Rubi disco and unhooked there’s no difference with the right sway links…..I’m running 31 “ extended shocks…….

hooked and disconnected
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi springs - longest shock without unseating springs? DA861639-2EB3-4F33-8924-0AFDF1BE92D8

unhooked
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi springs - longest shock without unseating springs? 322CC208-6D44-455F-9C32-287441B04476

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
...the right sway links.
I have read about this many times here at the forum, and was curious what the right sway bar links might be

This past Easter we put a Game Changer 3.5" kit lifted Rubicon with 37's on the CTI trailer and compared the results when the Rubicon's electronic sway bar was disconnected while some common, but adequately sized, sway bar links were still bolted on, with the results after we unbolted and removed the sway bar links completely.

There was no difference in measured flex.

I guess if you did a lift and forgot to install the appropriately sized sway bar links you could hamper the flex, but it appears to be a non issue if you use links that are not too short.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi springs - longest shock without unseating springs? 7015-Whats-In-The-Kit

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
Disagree……… Rubi disco and unhooked there’s no difference with the right sway links…..I’m running 31 “ extended shocks…….

hooked and disconnected
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi springs - longest shock without unseating springs? 7015-Whats-In-The-Kit

unhooked
You see how flat out your swaybar is, it’s maxed and at that point could be restricting even more flex. It is so close to being flat out that when you are on the trail it can easily flip back the wrong way and bend around your Tierod bar when you come back down. Way too close for comfort for me. . And if you put a link on any longer when you stuff up you will jam it right up into your wheel wells. Past the spring tower which is equally as bad.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have read about this many times here at the forum, and was curious what the right sway bar links might be

This past Easter we put a Game Changer 3.5" kit lifted Rubicon with 37's on the CTI trailer and compared the results when the Rubicon's electronic sway bar was disconnected while some common, but adequately sized, sway bar links were still bolted on, with the results after we unbolted and removed the sway bar links completely.

There was no difference in measured flex.

I guess if you did a lift and forgot to install the appropriately sized sway bar links you could hamper the flex, but it appears to be a non issue if you use links that are not too short.

Yeah, that’s right, by right links it’s more of wear and tear, longevity of the links. I’m using a double ended heim style link so there’s no binding. Your long links will work as you mentioned, however we’ve already swapped out my buddy’s MC links because the bottom bushing was tearing. Also matters how much your using it, how long it will last… we’re out almost every weekend…..

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
You see how flat out your swaybar is, it’s maxed and at that point could be restricting even more flex. It is so close to being flat out that when you are on the trail it can easily flip back the wrong way and bend around your Tierod bar when you come back down. Way too close for comfort for me. . And if you put a link on any longer when you stuff up you will jam it right up into your wheel wells. Past the spring tower which is equally as bad.
Not sure what you’ve been looking at, but there’s no way this will flip, I think it’s the angle of the pic, here’s better one, and one from full stuff, there’s absolutely no interference. Perhaps what you’ve been looking at just isn’t set up right…..

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi springs - longest shock without unseating springs? FE9BA923-1944-4684-9E2D-9A8681A51E37
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi springs - longest shock without unseating springs? 690A3654-3A9E-4BA8-ABE2-3B999DD4D5F3
Sponsored