Rubi springs - longest shock without unseating springs?

Nick p

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Land Rover
The more the shock is inclined the more travel you can get. Obviously it reduces the effectivness of the valving and therefore needs to be valved differently to a vertical setup.

Advertisement

Last edited:

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
All right AnnDee, now you got me thinking. Every other vehicle like a Ford ranger or my rzr , the shock travels less than the actual tire. On my razor it has 16 inches front travel and 18 inches rear wheel travel. The front shock is an 8 inch stroke and the rear shock is a 12 inch stroke. So the rear is a 1.5 motion ratio. 1.5 wheel travel equals 1 inch of shock travel. 12 inch shock gives you 18 inches of travel.

I just put my tape measure on the rear Jeep frame and it’s 5.75 inches to the bump stop pad. And I marked the shock. I’m going to jack up the frame and see what it does.

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
Shit. 4 inches oh spring travel down word anyways equals 4 1/8 of shock travel.

7CB6321E-4CD7-479A-A8A1-C9BBF39B785D.jpeg

7B1B6DB0-D595-4DF3-B8B2-44A4EF74A7B6.jpeg

9F66AFF4-B978-492B-B510-A46B39FAE291.jpeg

AnnDee4444

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Yeah, it was a surprise to me too when I first realized that. I was used to double A-arm and McPherson struts where the shock and spring move less than the wheel, but a live/solid axle is a little different.

@Glamisfan thanks for actually checking, it doesn’t look like the real world results are as extreme as my calculations.

OP
CptFloridaMan

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
A lot of good info here, thanks @Glamisfan

I'm still gonna be researching and the next time I do my rotation I'm gonna mess around with the rear axle and see if the springs start wanting to pop off. When I did the swap to rubi springs I didn't really think of it, but I don't recall dropping the axle too far to even install the springs.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Sport S, 03 Toyota 4Runner, Infiniti G37, Toyota T100 (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Great info in this thread, this pic scared me a little though

1605103774894.png

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
Me too. But the spring was in so it wouldn’t fall too far........

Caymanedge

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
There are a couple measurement you can do before you make a selection.

Shock length at rest center to center.
To get more shock travel the shocks get longer. So you can't just pick one with more travel. If it's not centered at rest you will be limited on one side of the travel. Find one that centers up for your length and see how much travel you can get.

Distance between bump stops F/R.
The upper factory bump stop compresses, not sure how much unfortunately. At stock you will have like 4.5" of travel in the front and 6" of travel in the rear, plus compression. This will limit the spring compression and ultimately the shock compression, giving you the total travel. You can add some lower bump stops if you need to limit the travel too.

I have done a ton of research on this and found that the guys at Accutune in CA are awesome to work with. They have a set-up sheet if you really want to dig into the details, plus they can valve the shocks for your liking if you don't go for adjustable shocks.

Advertisement

Northridge4x4

Advertisement