Sponsored

Rubi springs - longest shock without unseating springs?

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
That’s what he thought … and that’s a longer link then yours. Just a heads up, your choice.

0B213D27-CFC5-4361-988E-D75AFFD4F804.jpeg
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
That’s what he thought … and that’s a longer link then yours. Just a heads up, your choice.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi springs - longest shock without unseating springs? 0B213D27-CFC5-4361-988E-D75AFFD4F804
I’ve seen that pic, there’s more to that than drooping a wheel, but thanks for looking out….

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve seen that pic, there’s more to that than drooping a wheel, but thanks for looking out….
No, you haven’t seen that pic before. I know this guy, not just a pictured pulled from the internet. That’s a complete MC gamechanger lift installed by an off-road shop. Nothing extra going on there. Simply One wheel drooped the other stuffed and a maxed out 30” MC shock gave it enough room to flip the swaybar when it came back down.
My point is you are close. Closer then I’d be comfortable with, but again that is totally up to you. Just something I don’t want to deal with on the trail.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Couple years back guy got stuck in the mud, sway link got caught on something and inverted it trying to get out, the pic looked just like yours. But you say it’s not the same pic, I believe you…..

Did he contact MC about it ? What did they say ? I installed a GC last summer and it had the same links, seems they would have made a change if there was an issue…..As for mine, they are pretty extended but I’m topped out, the shock is fully extended, can’t drop out any farther…..

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Couple years back guy got stuck in the mud, sway link got caught on something and inverted it trying to get out, the pic looked just like yours. But you say it’s not the same pic, I believe you…..

Did he contact MC about it ? What did they say ? I installed a GC last summer and it had the same links, seems they would have made a change if there was an issue…..As for mine, they are pretty extended but I’m topped out, the shock is fully extended, can’t drop out any farther…..
Last I heard from him his shop notified Metal Cloak and they were sending new links. They had no idea. He was suggested to run limiting straps as a safety.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I've been running 2~3inch bilstein for the past year. I think they are about 28 inch extended length. "Crazy flex". No issues with the springs. I haven't really checked what limits the flex so the springs dont pop. I think it is the control arms lol. Maybe I should cycle the suspension and add limiting straps?

Last edited:

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Last I heard from him his shop notified Metal Cloak and they were sending new links. They had no idea. He was suggested to run limiting straps as a safety.
Did he stack the 3” 6 pack upper brackets with the rock sports? I could see that maybe doing it with 33” extended. At 28.43” extended I didnt invert at full droop with my old 7.5” mopar links. The MCs are 12.25”.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did he stack the 3” 6 pack upper brackets with the rock sports? I could see that maybe doing it with 33” extended. At 28.43” extended I didnt invert at full droop with my old 7.5” mopar links. The MCs are 12.25”.
His kit is the complete 3.5” Game Changer with long travel RockSports shocks. (17.7”- 30”). He also has all the MC steering components. The Draglink was also trashed as well which you can see in the photo. No extra shock brackets. Believe me he was not a happy camper after that maiden voyage with the lift.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I've been running 2~3inch bilstein for the past year. I think they are about 30 inch extended length. Crazy flex. No issues with the springs. I haven't really checked what limits the flex so the springs dont pop. I think it is the control arms lol. Maybe I should cycle the suspension and add limiting straps?
The measurements on the 2-3" 5100s are 17.07"/26.88" F and 18.33"/29.50" Rear.

Assuming everything but the shocks are stock, best guess on limits:

Front Up - Shock Compressed length limiting before hard bump stops (17.07" Compressed vs 16.25" Metal to Metal bump)
Front Down - Shock extension
Rear Up - Shock Compressed length limiting before hard bump stops (18.33" Compressed vs 17" Metal to Metal bump). There's a good amount more uptravel in the rear, so I wouldn't be as concerned with using the shocks as the limit.
Rear Down - I'm guessing you are currently limited by sway bar contact with the shock if you have stock links.
Sponsored